What's new

What Forgotten Films do you want on Blu ray or 4K? (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Another film has been resurrected in my mind recently, Jacques Deray’s BORSALINO (1970), which I really enjoyed at the time of its initial release. Definitely a “white telephone” period piece, and with big stars like Delon and Belmondo, it’s too bad and a as little surprising the only release to be had is a R2 Blu-ray I inquired about to a foreign seller on Amazon this week. I was told there’s unfortunately no option for English subtitles on the disc, which with my very limited French would be problematic.
Yes, I was disappointed when I found that disc had no subtitles. I'm still hoping that Kino-Lorber or Indicator will release this film in high definition.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
There are a couple of independent films from the 90s that I'd like to see. They've both been released on laserdisc (I have them), but I don't believe either has been released on DVD, let alone Blu-ray. Neither has gotten much love from critics or audiences, but I like both of them, for very different reasons.

Open Season (1995). Directed and stars Robert Wuhl. It's about a "culture" trend that takes over the US when some damaged Neilsen (name changed to protect the...innocent?) boxes cause PBS to become the most-watched TV network. The rest of the networks race to produce what they would think of as high culture programming: a sitcom about Athenian philosophers ("Greek's Company") and the action series "Rock Maninoff, Crimefighting Cellist".

Rain Without Thunder (1992). A fictitious documentary set circa 2050 concerning the "history" of the loss of abortion rights in the US. Yes, made 30 years ago. I would think that given recent events, this is something that might find a more interested audience. (This being a politically charged subject, I feel obliged to state that discussion of abortion -- yay or nay -- is not to be made here. Any comment on the film should be about it as a piece of filmmaking, and not about its subject.)

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Along those same somewhat controversial lines would be Rebel Storm (1989 - VHS title), also known as Rising Storm, by director Francis Schaeffer, starring Zach Galligan and John Rhys-Davies. We stumbled across this somewhat by accident, and while I wouldn’t call it great satire, it had elements that should resonate more today than when it was released. The filmmaker was from a fundamentalist family instrumental in the early modern political Right movement, and who later renounced his earlier beliefs, wrote a memoir, and made this film. See synopsis below:

“The year is 2099. The United States is ruled by the Reverend Jimmy Joe II, in a dictatorship where big guns and fundamentalist religion are used to keep the masses in control. The Reverend’s troopers patrol the streets and the slums with assault rifles, ready to prevent any trouble from the revolutionary Kropfelders.”

The film was a fairly low budget enterprise, but for all its limitations didn’t look all that shoddy compared to some. I don’t find any later release than the videotape. But it ought to be a cult classic.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Along those same somewhat controversial lines would be Rebel Storm (1989 - VHS title), also known as Rising Storm, by director Francis Schaeffer, starring Zach Galligan and John Rhys-Davies. We stumbled across this somewhat by accident, and while I wouldn’t call it great satire, it had elements that should resonate more today than when it was released. The filmmaker was from a fundamentalist family instrumental in the early modern political Right movement, and who later renounced his earlier beliefs, wrote a memoir, and made this film. See synopsis below:

“The year is 2099. The United States is ruled by the Reverend Jimmy Joe II, in a dictatorship where big guns and fundamentalist religion are used to keep the masses in control. The Reverend’s troopers patrol the streets and the slums with assault rifles, ready to prevent any trouble from the revolutionary Kropfelders.”

The film was a fairly low budget enterprise, but for all its limitations didn’t look all that shoddy compared to some. I don’t find any later release than the videotape. But it ought to be a cult classic.
thanks...never heard of it here it is on YT.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
There are a couple of independent films from the 90s that I'd like to see. They've both been released on laserdisc (I have them), but I don't believe either has been released on DVD, let alone Blu-ray. Neither has gotten much love from critics or audiences, but I like both of them, for very different reasons.

Open Season (1995). Directed and stars Robert Wuhl. It's about a "culture" trend that takes over the US when some damaged Neilsen (name changed to protect the...innocent?) boxes cause PBS to become the most-watched TV network. The rest of the networks race to produce what they would think of as high culture programming: a sitcom about Athenian philosophers ("Greek's Company") and the action series "Rock Maninoff, Crimefighting Cellist".

Rain Without Thunder (1992). A fictitious documentary set circa 2050 concerning the "history" of the loss of abortion rights in the US. Yes, made 30 years ago. I would think that given recent events, this is something that might find a more interested audience. (This being a politically charged subject, I feel obliged to state that discussion of abortion -- yay or nay -- is not to be made here. Any comment on the film should be about it as a piece of filmmaking, and not about its subject.)

Mike Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
A while back the Kino Insider made the comment that they had "kicked the tires" on Away All Boats and another title which I cannot recall. He said they decided not to release them. Would have been nice if he had explained his "kicked the tires" comment. No usable elements or they would not sell enough copies? Who knows? Anyway, it made me pissed off enough to count up the number of Kino discs I have (over a 100) and think to myself I'll never buy another. That lasted a week or two before I hit their latest sale. What can I say. I've been collecting movies for over 40 years on every format except CED. I'm addicted. Hell, I even have several hundred digital copies in my iTunes library after saying I would never do streaming. Okay, about time to break out my GoodTimes pan & scan DVD of Away All Boats.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
A while back the Kino Insider made the comment that they had "kicked the tires" on Away All Boats and another title which I cannot recall. He said they decided not to release them. Would have been nice if he had explained his "kicked the tires" comment. No usable elements or they would not sell enough copies? Who knows? Anyway, it made me pissed off enough to count up the number of Kino discs I have (over a 100) and think to myself I'll never buy another. That lasted a week or two before I hit their latest sale. What can I say. I've been collecting movies for over 40 years on every format except CED. I'm addicted. Hell, I even have several hundred digital copies in my iTunes library after saying I would never do streaming. Okay, about time to break out my GoodTimes pan & scan DVD of Away All Boats.

Well, at least you didn't just order ~40% of those "over 100" discs in one order alone just now, LOL. :eek::lol: Yeah, guess that means I'm addicted (like many others here)... :P although I suppose I could point out I hadn't bought that many Kino discs before discovering these frequently recurring sales this past year or so... though that never kept me from building my BD+4K disc collection up well over 2K titles though (NVM the 1K-plus digitals I also have by now though some of them were essentially "free" and overlap because some came included from combo disc purchases)... :P:laugh::laugh::laugh:

_Man_

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
A while back the Kino Insider made the comment that they had "kicked the tires" on Away All Boats and another title which I cannot recall. He said they decided not to release them. Would have been nice if he had explained his "kicked the tires" comment. No usable elements or they would not sell enough copies? Who knows?

"Kicked the tires" assuredly just meant that they were looking into the possibility of licensing them, as one might consider buying a car from a used car lot. I'm not sure why it matters what the reason was. Either case results in not licensing them.

And, yes, I have that same Goodtimes DVD. :)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
you're on the right forum my friend!! Look the Ethiopian 4K Steelbook!!!
zombie vhs GIF by Signature Entertainment

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
"Dark Shadows" 1991 revival series.

In agreement (even though TV shows are off-topic for this thread), but ONLY if it's restored to the original 4:3 framing. The chopped-up 16:9 of the DVDs ensured that I was sticking with my MPI VHS tapes.

I'm suspect the one-hour episodes (at least) may have been edited/post-produced on tape (the opening titles sequence looks to be partially video-generated). If so, that would require re-assembly, which likely won't happen. I've not studied the episodes enough to determine if the "in-episode" credits were optically made or video-generated. If that were the case, then theoretically, all that need be done is (I suppose) upscale the title sequence and stitch it back on.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
ONCE (1973), directed by Mort Heilig. No home media releases at all (not even VHS/Beta), and almost totally unseen on pay cable (a user in the old IMDB forums claimed to have a beta tape from circa 1981 from pay cable).

I figured this one would never, ever happen. However, a Reddit user says Heilig's widow donated all his films to UCLA's Hefner archive in 2017 (about one year before she died). Supposedly, they are planning a 4k transfer and eventual disc release. Supposedly, pandemic-related delays. They have a page for the film here.

YANG

Screenwriter
2 periodic war film... that doesn't seems to be release in BluRay yet?

螢幕擷取畫面 (45).png

螢幕擷取畫面 (44).png

...remastering in 4K might bring some clarity into certain details of the films. with HDR, dark scenes in the LEGIONNAIRE may look challenging.
However, that would be dependent on how well preserved the original film stocks are for clean up and relighting.
As for the soundtracks, I wonder how would the remixes would be for 7.1 or Atmos? Personally... if i'm a remastering sound engineer, i would hope that i have the skill to derive or pull out the music scores and put in into the dedicated side surround or above head channels if done in Atmos remix. Leaving the rest of the effects, dialogues, to be delivered by the respective frontal 3 and back 2 surround channels... of course... that was my fat wishes... :D

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Silly, I know to even suggest this one in 4K, but can I at least get a Blu in it's proper aspect ratio?

It now resides in "the mouse's house"....

The Pleasure Seekers (1964) - a frothy semi-musical remake of "Three Coins in the Fountain" Starring Ann-Margret, Carol Lynley, Pamela Tiffin, Anthony Franciosa, Brian Keith and in her last big-screen role Gene Tierney.

View attachment 154209
I reviewed the Fox MOD DVD of this film, and the aspect ratio (2.35:1) was correct. It simply wasn't an anamorphically enhanced transfer so there were plenty of issues when viewed on our giant TV screens. Even a properly sourced Blu-ray with appropriate clean-up would be an improvement, but I'm not holding my breath for one.

FlickLives

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
Ben Hur - A Tale Of The Christ (1925)
The Wind (1928)
The Crowd (1928)
Top Hat (1935)
Follow The Fleet (1936)
High Society (1956)
The Alamo (1960) - I know the roadshow cut is considered lost but at this rate the general release version would be welcome.
The Three Lives Of Thomasina (1963)
Cheyenne Autumn (1964)

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
The Sleeping Car Murder (1965) - forgotten debut feature of Costa-Gavras
The Wonderful Crook (1975) - a Depardieu film that isn't even available in France
Visit to a Chief's Son (1974) - Francis Lai's great score was issued on CD, but the film itself is totally MIA on home video
A Jury of One (1974) - aka The Verdict - forgotten Sophia Loren / Carlo Ponti picture
The Ultimate Warrior (1975) - post-apocalyptic movie with Yul Brynner; Robert Clouse's best film IMHO
The Next Man (1976) - obscure Sean Connery romantic thriller; I'm sure I'm the only one who likes it
Shoot (1976) - Canadian tax shelter movie has a small cult; who knows who owns the rights now

Last edited:

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
Some Fox musicals with Betty Grable:
When My Baby Smiles at Me (1948)
Diamond Horseshoe (1945)
Coney Island (1943)
Tin Pan Alley (1940)
Wabash Avenue (1950)

And a few with Jeanne Crain:
State Fair (1945)
Margie (1946)
Centennial Summer (1946)
The Model and the Marriage Broker (1951, comedy)
Pinky (1949, drama)

Plus I'm still campaigning for my top movie of the 1960s to be restored to Blu-ray: Paramount's Hud (1963)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Another one from the 90s that comes to mind: Shall We Dance? (1996), directed by Masayuki Suo. An absolutely lovely film, one of my favorite films of the 90s. It was released on DVD by Miramax, who distributed the film in the US, but it was Miramax's (typical) cut-down (by about 20 minutes) version. Nothing on Blu-ray. Not even, apparently, in Japan. Of course, what is on Blu-ray is Miramax's 2004 American remake with Richard Gere. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks