What's new

What Forgotten Films do you want on Blu ray or 4K? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Hey Capt. D, The Big Clock is exceptional, please see it! I have the Arrow release.
I did see it when I had TMC back in the day!! Agreed and such a wonderful cast...Amazing to see both Charles Laughton and Mauren OHara together again, since Jamaca Inn brought them together. That was even before they dueted in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Jamaca Inn was Mauren's first film role...that too is an amazing film. With a really young Robert Newton, playing a young sailor almost drowned by saboteurs, later to play the ultimate pirate Black Beard, and on Treasuer Island

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I did see it when I had TMC back in the day!! Agreed and such a wonderful cast...Amazing to see both Charles Laughton and Mauren OHara together again, since Jamaca Inn brought them together. That was even before they dueted in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Jamaca Inn was Mauren's first film role...that too is an amazing film. With a really young Robert Newton, playing a young sailor almost drowned by saboteurs, later to play the ultimate pirate Black Beard, and on Treasuer Island
You have the wrong Maureen in The Big Clock. Both from Ireland, but the actress that played Tarzan's mate was in The Big Clock.

1664924825441.png
1664925520382.png

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Pardon the correction, but it’s Maureen O’Sullivan (wife of director John Farrow) who costars with Ray Milland here. I do agree, The Big Clock has been a favorite of mine since I first caught it on TV in probably the mid-late 60s.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
George Stevens' The Talk of the Town - exceptionally fine film, totally MIA among the Columbia/Sony remasters. Grover Crisp...are you listening?
Guilty Pleasure we need a blu ray of Goldwyn Follies just for the Ritz Brothers Here pussy pussy song I think Alan Ladd's first film

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I really would like to see Paramount's Lady in the Dark (1944) - badly maligned upon its release, but featuring a pretty exotic performance from Ginger Rogers. Torn here - prefer Julie Andrews' vocal rendering of The Saga of Jenny in Star! to Rogers in the original, but think the staging of the number is better in the 44 version.

Star! adds extras in spandex and sequins to the number, totally out of touch with the time period in which the picture is supposed to be telling Gertrude Lawrence's (choke!) life story. PS - Star! is not the life of Gertie Lawrence but a thoroughly glossy and great reimagining of it. Like George M. Cohn's life in Yankee Doodle Dandy. No reality whatsoever. But don't you just wish...

Other MIA titles I wish somebody would rescue - Meet John Doe, Artists and Models, Wilson, Beyond the Forest, Turk 182, Date With An Angel, The Great Gatsby (1949), High Flight, Staircase, Carnival in Costa Rica.

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I would like Paramount to dust off a 35mm print of 1969's Goodbye Columbus with Ali McGraw and Richard Benjamin. I would also like to get rid of my unrated DVD in place of a Blu-ray for Scandal with Joanne Whaley and Bridget Fonda. I saw it had been transferred a while back to a Region B disc but was never able to even track that down. I believe it's only a matter of time before we see Splendor In The Grass with Natalie Wood as well as Columbia's underrated Bugsy with Warren Beatty, featuring a terrific Ennio Morricone score. I lost hope on 20th Century Fox's Strangers When We Meet with Kirk Douglas and Kim Novak when Disney hijacked Fox. I still retain the DVD. And Columbia's The Exectutioner with Joan Collins and George Peppard would put a smile on my face. MGM!, please issue Marlow with James Garner and Rita Moreno as well as Roger Vadim's Pretty Maids All In A Row.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I really would like to see Paramount's Lady in the Dark (1944) - badly maligned upon its release, but featuring a pretty exotic performance from Ginger Rogers. Torn here - prefer Julie Andrews' vocal rendering of The Saga of Jenny in Star! to Rogers in the original, but think the staging of the number is better in the 44 version.

Star! adds extras in spandex and sequins to the number, totally out of touch with the time period in which the picture is supposed to be telling Gertrude Lawrence's (choke!) life story. PS - Star! is not the life of Gertie Lawrence but a thoroughly glossy and great reimagining of it. Like George M. Cohn's life in Yankee Doodle Dandy. No reality whatsoever. But don't you just wish..
I would love to see Star! on Blu-ray, but realize the chances with Disney controlling it are slim unless they have a change of corporate mindset and someone who knows and loves films is put in charge of the division that would put it out. The problem there is nobody knows or appears to care about films they acquired from Fox, or even their own historic product (no Mary Poppins 4K?). For anyone interested in Gertrude Lawrence, I suggest tracking down Sheridan Morley’s excellent biography, it’s one of the best celebrity bios I’ve read.

Beckford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken
I lost hope on 20th Century Fox's Strangers When We Meet with Kirk Douglas and Kim Novak when Disney hijacked Fox.
Don't give up hope on this one. It's from Columbia. not 20th Century Fox. So the Disney jinx doesn't affect it.
Indicator and Mill Creek often put out Columbia titles on Blu so this marvelous Kim Novak title might be in the pipeline, Along with "Middle of the Night" and "Jeanne Eagels".

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Yet another from the 90s: Ulu Grosbard's Georgia (1995). Eventually released on DVD, but deserves a fresh release on BD.

Mare Winningham and Jennifer Jason Leigh play two sisters who have (separate) careers as music celebrities. Winningham is the successful folk/country singer, while Leigh plays the unsuccessful, substance abusing younger sister.

What was amazing was that Georgia (Winningham) did a number of remarkable musical performances, and was convincing as a successful artist. Sadie (Leigh) has this one performance that was deliberately torturous and embarrassing in so many ways, but dear god, Leigh pulled it out of the depths of her soul. This film probably has the best performances from both of these actors.

YANG

Screenwriter
Denzel Washington's younger time performance... is lesser known.
04130.jpg

i've no idea whether WB/HBO Video had released this before in America, but when you do a search in Amazon, you'll come across a Spanish BluRay release.

should there really isn't any BR release, either to American market or other region, there's really a need relook and remaster of this into FHD.

RICOCHET will make a good sales companion to THE LITTLE THINGs and BONE COLLECTOR as a bundle of Denzel's Suspense genre.​

YANG

Screenwriter
yeah... i know... lots may detest the sight the sight and looks on a roach, however some roach may deliver fun, such as those... in Joe's Apartment!
09173.jpg

it seems that this is not released in BD yet.
hopefully Warner is still holding the rights of this title and giving it a good FHD transfer.
09173_back.jpg

well... if we can live with the horror of MIMIC, i don't see where we can't live along with the roaches in Joe's Apartment.​

Johannes S

Auditioning
Real Name
Johannes

The Teahouse of the August Moon (1956)​

How long do we still have to wait for a decent HD release?
Are there rights issues related to it?
Merry Christmas and best wishes for all of you!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
one title I always wanted to see restored, The Bold Caballero (1936). I love the Zorro movies and this title has been looked over and as the first color version, this orphen needs a spotlight and restortion to at least BD!!

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
PENNIES FROM HEAVEN----GOODBYE MR CHIPS (69)---WHOS LIFE IS IT ANYWAY?---PLAY IT AGAIN SAM---CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD---SURVIVING PICASSO----BREAKFAST ON PLUTO---THE BUTCHER BOY.

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
My definition of a "forgotten film" is something that was released on videotape (if at all), and then never available on any other format

Last Summer (1969)
Fortune and Men's Eyes (1971)
Some of My Best Friends Are (1971) -- this was available for streaming/purchase for a very short time on Amazon, but has disappeared

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamywaby
Recent bookmarks