What's new

What does CAV, CLV, JP6 stand for? (1 Viewer)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Hi, I'm relatively new to the forum and I enjoy it a lot. Although I consider myself pretty well informed of movie related terms, there are a couple I can't figure out.

CAV and CLV - I know they have something to do with laserdiscs but what exactly do they stand for?

JP6 - I know this translates roughtly to "Everyday Joe who prefers Pan+Scan" but what exactly does it mean?

Lastly what is MARed? I know this means modified from original version (ex open matte or pan+scan) but what is the purpose of "MAR" in caps?

Thanks.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
J6P = Joe Six-Pack. Meaning, the average unrefined (indicated by the six-pack mention) consumer who doesn't give a flip about OAR, proper equipment calibration, etc.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
CAV = Constant Angular Velocity

J6P = Joe Six Pack (average citizen)

...CLV has slipped my mind though :b

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
CLV= Constant Linear Velocity

CAV LDs hold about 30mins per side

CLV LDs hold about 60mins per side

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
CAV is also sometimes referred to as "Standard Play," with CLV being "Extended Play."

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
One thing to note is that a CAV laser disc track consists of up to 54,000 concentric circles while a CLV track is a continuous spiral, just like CDs and DVDs. Each concentric circle on a CAV disc represents a single frame. For those that like to study film sequences and how they develop (particularly animation), CAV is king over all other formats.

I don't want to get to deep into it now, but, in fact, there ain't no such animal as CLV anymore, but the term has become a convention.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks