What's new

Theatrical Magic Mike's Last Dance (2023)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Title: Magic Mike's Last Dance (2023)

Tagline: The final tease.

Genre: Romance, Comedy, Drama

Director: Steven Soderbergh

Cast: Channing Tatum, Salma Hayek, Ayub Khan-Din, Jemelia George, Juliette Motamed, Vicki Pepperdine, Alan Cox, Suzanne Bertish, Caitlin Gerard, Christopher Bencomo, Ellen Marguerite Cullivan, Christie Aaria Emby, Liam Edwards, Carmen Olivares, Gavin Spokes, Ethan Lawrence, Nancy Carroll, Joe Manganiello, Matt Bomer, Adam Rodríguez, Kevin Nash

Release: 2023-02-09

Runtime: 112

Plot: Mike Lane takes to the stage again after a lengthy hiatus, following a business deal that went bust, leaving him broke and taking bartender gigs in Florida. For what he hopes will be one last hurrah, Mike heads to London with a wealthy socialite who lures him with an offer he can’t refuse… and an agenda all her own. With everything on the line, once Mike discovers what she truly has in mind, will he—and the roster of hot new dancers he’ll have to whip into shape—be able to pull it off?

When a movie implicitly or explicitly promises something, it has to deliver on it. Magic Mike's Last Dance never lives up to anything it actually promises. I'm not sure if I should be disappointed in that or not. See, the first movie was something new on the screen since it combined flesh with character and personal stories. I don't honestly remember anything about Magic Mike XXL, though I know I saw it...probably.

But this installment starts in a reasonable place, suggesting the movie is going to explore pandemic fall out, the dissolution of the group and Mike making a comeback in an authentic way. Yeah, that doesn't happen (sorry, spoiler alert). Mike promises his new dancers they have to become very comfortable being naked in front of repressed London housewives very quickly...yet the nudity never materializes. The hallmark of this series are arousing, enticing dances for a certain segment of the audience; I guess maybe, these are enticing (and yes, I am not the EXACT audience this movie is made for, but I'm "Exact Audience Adjacent"). The last dance, however, is pretty wild to watch.

I never bought the central romance and all the various machinations around it. There's a subplot about an adopted kid and a soon-to-be-ex-husband and losing money and courts and a historical building...whatever. I wouldn't classify this as "boring" or a "bad" movie...it's just...there. What the movie does have going for it is humor I laughed at this movie's jokes more than I probably should have. They're dorky and obvious and whatever else...but I laughed.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The only major new release of the week and part of a popular franchise, but it's on a relatively low number of screens (1,600). For comparison, the Titanic re-release is on over 2,400, and 80 For Brady continues to be on nearly 4,000.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The only major new release of the week and part of a popular franchise, but it's on a relatively low number of screens (1,600). For comparison, the Titanic re-release is on over 2,400, and 80 For Brady continues to be on nearly 4,000.
This was originally slated as an HBO Max original.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The 1st movie was meh, the 2nd was awful, the 3rd was awfuller.

Can't believe Soderbergh returned for this disaster.

Kinda makes me wish he'd gone through with his promise to retire a while back!

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Finally saw #3 last night. Offering the dissenting opinion on these movies. They had no right to be as good as they were. Yes the third one suffered from a thin, unbelievable plot, but I just don't care. Tatum is so enjoyable to watch.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks