What's new

What amps to use for my new B&W set up?... (1 Viewer)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
what is have in the house or on the way

B&W 804 mains
B&W HTM2 center
B&W 601 rears

Amps I have
1 Marsh sound design (2X200)
1 Rotel 976 bridged to 3X150
1 NAD 214 2X80 (or bridged to 240W mono)

Obvisiously the Marsh goes with the 804s
BUT....
What do I power the center with??

1. Bi-amp the Rotel and only use 2 of the 3 channels at 2X150W....then use the NAD for the rears (80w isn't much, but probably enough for the rears set to "small")

OR

1. Bi-amp the NAD @ 2X80 to the HTM2 center and use 2 out of the 3 channels (@150 W) to power the rears.

What it really comes down to is, Will a Rotel or NAD usually sound better?? and what power would you run to which speakers???

Obviously I could run the Rotel 3X150 as the center and 2 rears, which I have been doing, but the 800 series requires even more power than my cdm series did, PLUS I have the NAD sitting under my bed collecting dust, so I maight as well use it!!

Thought??

Arnel Enero

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry I have no suggestions due to lack of experience with those amps, but I just wanted to say congratulations on your wonderful N804s. Those are newly bought, right?

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Arnel, yes, in fact I don't even have them yet, they are on the way, but I just wanted to prepare for when they arrive.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Good question, but I wonder if you'll get that seemless front sound stage with different amps??? Seems to me the front 3 should be powered the same.

kevitra

Second Unit
Beware of bridging amps. I had (past tense) the rotel 956 which was 6x40 or 3x100 (somewhere around there). With my 8 ohm center channel the fuse kept blowing. I contacted Rotel and they informed me that in bridged mode it is 8 ohm minimum. My center was dipping below 8 ohms and blowing fuses. Your 976 might be different, but you might want to be sure it will run ok with your speaker before trying it out (replacing the fuses can be a pain).

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I actually was using my Rotel for my CDMCNT, with NO problems, so I am not too worried about that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks