What's new

Were converting J6P and now getting J6P the sequel! (1 Viewer)

Anton Ruzic

Stunt Coordinator
If this doesn't prove the absolute need for a government eugenics policy nothing else will.
Anton

Stefan A

Second Unit
If J6P's have the 16:9 TV and are buying dvd's exclusivly in OAR, who cares how they watch the movie. What they do in their own home is up to them. At least they are supporting OAR by buying the correct format. Because of that, won't OAR continue to flourish? The real problem is when these people insist on P&S versions of the movies.
------------------
Stefan Antwarg
My DVD Collection
The Regal Brass Quintet Not HT related

Anton Ruzic

Stunt Coordinator
At least they are supporting OAR by buying the correct format.
Perhaps, but how long is it going to be before these morons start moaning about the "black bars" on their 16:9 sets and thus demand that studios crop 2.35:1 films down to 1.78:1 so the image "fills up" the entire screen?
Anton

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Let's not forget the wine and cheese crowd. Many on this forum were delighted to obtain a reframed (cropped) dvd of "Super Speedway." No nasty 4x3 image for their widescreen TVs.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
quote: Perhaps, but how long is it going to be before these morons start moaning about the "black bars" on their 16:9 sets and thus demand that studios crop 2.35:1 films down to 1.78:1 so the image "fills up" the entire screen?[/quote]
Yes, and how long will it be till J6P complains about those side bars in the future and the studios offer cropped versions of 1.37:1 films to cater to them?
[Edited last by Richard Kim on November 09, 2001 at 09:47 AM]

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, everytime someone uses the "tell them to get a 16x9 TV" defense of OAR I cringe.
Within a few months of working at a top TV company a guy came by and saw a 2.35 on a WS set. He said "I thought those were supposed to make the black bars go away". This is a guy MAKING the TVs, not a Joe6. Think about it.
Big trouble ahead. A day is coming when Joe6 will have to complain about TWICE as many films AND TV shows. There are MORE black bars in a future of WS sets.
Don't get me wrong, WS sets are great and I'm glad it's the current wave, but it's not going to solve they "no black bars" complaints by a long shot.

Anton Ruzic

Stunt Coordinator
The only way this stupid problem will ever be solved is by introducing monitors made out of nanotechnology based "intelligent materials" that will permit the picture tube to physically alter its aspect ratio to match that of the film being shown, hence no need for the "black bars".
Anton

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I've got a widescreen RPTV and fully support OAR. I'm increasingly thinking that the only good solution to the black bar phobias is for all of us to convert to Front Projection setups where what's projected is what you see on screen, regardless of its aspect ratio.
And just think how the prices of those front projectors will come down if everybody starts buying them. :)
[Edited last by Glenn Heberle on November 09, 2001 at 09:52 AM]

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My take is and has always been: Tough for J6P. DVD's present crystal-clear images and should be OAR all the time. No P&S. Those renting or buying OAR DVD's and filing complaints about black bars need only be pointed toward the VHS shelves. This is OUR medium, damn it, and J6P should have to accept that, the way we did for two decades of cropped VHS. Our turn. Proper screen image, as every living director would prefer.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
My brother asked the same question to me after he purchased a widescreen Mit RPTV. He too was unhappy that some of his DVDs still displayed black strips at top and bottom. He understands now but still prefers 1.85:1 ratio films. Now I realize how tough it is to teach J6Ps.

I just posted this story in another thread but it seems much more appropriate here:
Here's an example of how bad J6P can get: A friend of a friend recently invited a bunch of us to his house to demo his recently purchased 34" Toshiba 16x9. He told us that he wasn't completely happy because some movies _still_ had black bars at the top and bottom (I assume he was talking about movies in large ratios like 2.35). So he still prefers to buy a P&S version then zoom the image until it fills the screen! Someone in the group started to explain how wrong that was and how he was missing out on 16x9 enhancement but the guy was so proud of himself that we just gave up.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Pretty soon, we'll be seeing pan & scan DVD's (1.78:1) of movies that are 2.35:1.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I've also had people ask me the same question. "I thought that was a widescreen TV?" .. "It is." .. "Why are there still black bars on the top and bottom?"
I simply explain it's because that's how the movie was shot. I tell them that movies are shot in different aspect ratios, and if a movie is wider than my TV, since we can't extend the TV we have to shrink the image down to fit on the screen. Thus, the black bars.
My friends have accepted it. They still think I'm crazy, but when watching movies in my home, they accept it.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Don't you guys worry about burn in from the black bars, especially on RPTVs. I know a lot of people here use the excuse..."it's about the movie not a display device" but I am beginning to think that is coming from people with more money than the average person. I just bought one of these sets and the thing is costing more money than I ever thought I would spend on a TV set. In some ways, considering the cost of the set, I cannot treat it as just a "display device". A $500 set....who cares? A $5000 set...that's a whole different story. I don't have the scratch to be replacing parts because they burn in from constant black bar use.
I know that reducing contrast and brightness are supposed to alleviate the problem of burn in but I cannot help thinking that, even with lower settings, the possibility of burn in is still high. Lately, I can count the hours of television I have watched on one hand...I watch mostly movies and a lot of these films will be LBX'd, so watching OAR means that the majority of the time the tubes are going to be stressed by uneven usage, regardless of picture and brightness settings.
It's kind of a moot point because I intend to watch my films in their proper OAR but it worries me that the life of the tubes is going to be compromised by doing so.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
It's my understanding that this sort of specious reasoning has already led HBO to crop AR's>1.78 for their HD channel. This in itself has cooled my interest in that service.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Burn-in is not possible with an RPTV, it is a phosphor phenomena. RPTV's simply project light onto a plastic screen, you need not worry about it.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Larry,
I think HBO has been listening. I've seen a number of 2:35 movies on HBO-HD in OAR with black bars on my 16/9 set. They do still show some 2:35 films cropped or P/S, Gladiator the other night was clipped, but they don't do it for all 2:35 movies.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Brian_J

Second Unit
Burn-in is not possible with an RPTV, it is a phosphor phenomena. RPTV's simply project light onto a plastic screen, you need not worry about it.
What a fount of misinformation you are! You are better off keeping your mouth closed when you don't know what you are talking about.
Regarding people who want to know why they have black bars I just look at them funny and ask them if you can get a rectangle to match a square. It really is a simple as geometry, but most people do not even realize that there is more than one aspect ratio for movies. They think widescren=movies.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks