What's new

Were converting J6P and now getting J6P the sequel! (1 Viewer)

DarrenA

Second Unit
They do still show some 2:35 films cropped or P/S, Gladiator the other night was clipped, but they don't do it for all 2:35 movies.
Actually, Gladiator was shot in Super 35 which allowed them to open the top and bottom of the image which is not as bad as Pan & Scan. However, I still prefer to see the theatrical ratio as seen in a commercial theater. Here's an exmaple of Gladiator on DVD at 2.35:1 and the HD-HBO version at 1.78:1.
DVD version
Gladiator%20DVD.jpg

HD-HBO version
Gladiator%20HBO.jpg

------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Darren: If the modified version is the only one that I can buy at the store then it is as bad as Pan and Scam.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

DarrenA

Second Unit
William, trust me I get the picture (no pun intended). I was mearly stating that in this one case of Gladiator on HD-HBO that instead of Pan and Scanning the 2.35:1 image, they instead opened the soft matting above and below the image. Yes, I don't agree with HBO's stance on not showing everything in OAR, but in this particular case we're not losing video information...just gaining video material that would normally be matted in it's proper aspect ratio.
------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
What a fount of misinformation you are! You are better off keeping your mouth closed when you don't know what you are talking about.
Gentlemen, I'm not an admin., but let's keep this civil, ok? :)
I believe RPTVs can get burn-in, but if your set is calibrated properly, the chances are slim to none that you will experience burn-in from watching movies with black bars.
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Brian_J

Second Unit
Sorry, but I did not like someone giving such bad information that could potentially kill a 3 grand investment.
I think most realize that if contrast is low and you are not watching one aspect ratio continually there is little risk of burn-in but for someone to say that it is not possible to burn-in an RPTV because its just "light on a screen" was silly.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Dan M

Second Unit
I once saw a display model RPTV at Circuit City that had severe burn-in images.
Apparantly they had left a dvd menu setup screen on just a little too long....
------------------

Scott H

Supporting Actor
quote: Brian_J:
What a fount of misinformation you are! You are better off keeping your mouth closed when you don't know what you are talking about.[/quote]
That's a very mature and intelligent response, thank you.
My post was very misleading and I apologize, and I did regret posting as my assertation could be detrimental, but I have been away. The basis for my comments was correct, but it's application to RPTVs as a whole was flawed, and to claim that you need not worry about burn-in was in error. An RPTV screen can't burn-in, but the phosphors in the CRTs that are projecting onto that screen can suffer burn-in which would be presented onto the main screen. In other words, I made a dumb post.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.
[Edited last by Scott H on November 10, 2001 at 06:51 PM]

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Except for James Cameron and William Friedkin, that is.
All of Cameron's films currently available on DVD -- The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, True Lies and Titanic -- are widescreen-only discs.
Friedkin's filmography is more problematic, what with the "fullscreen" releases of Jade and Sorceror. But those are older DVDs: the more recent discs, the ones released with Friedkin's involvement -- Rules of Engagement, The Exorcist, The French Connection -- are all widescreen-only.
Cameron and Friedkin did both express a preference for filling the TV screen of home video viewers, but those statements were made years ago. And more recently... well, I think actions speak louder than words. :)
doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks