What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There are quite a few films out there that have been released in 4k, some even with a synchronized Dolby Atmos track. Some are good, some not so much.

And a handful prove to us that cinema lives.

Todd Field's Tár is one of the special ones.

The tale of a woman, brilliant and flawed, played to an extraordinary level by Cate Blanchett. You'll read nothing about the story here. Best to get a copy and find out for yourselves.

The special thing, is that a truly wonderful film has been released via an absolutely perfect 4k disc mit Dolby Atmos and HDR10.

Photographed with an Alexa 65, and finished in 4k, it reminds me of some ways of Midsummar, which was shot with the newest Panavision camera in 8k.

In projection, one can walk up to the screen and take in tiny details - faces in VLS for example - that are crystal clear and highly detailed.

The fact that the cinematography by Florian Hoffmeister is also gorgeous doesn't hurt.

And there's something else. The track is beautifully recorded and edited with great silences as well as volume and clarity that will clean the lint from your speakers.

This actually reminded me of something that I was told, but have never actually seen. Apparently during the optical sound track era, when both variable density as well as variable area co-existed, if a sound editor needed to create a huge jump in volume, they might cut together both formats in the same conformed track negative, going from density to area, and having the track increase exponentially.*

That's something akin to what I'm hearing with Tár.

A great film, with superb performances and an absolutely reference quality disc.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

* I believe Scott MacQueen has run into this.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Nudging me to blindbuy this 4K disc and watch it that way for my 1st time even though I could actually also just watch on Peacock in 4K stream...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The only negative to a blind buy here is that the film is really heavy. I was absorbed in it when I saw it and thought it was exceptionally well-crafted. But I'm not sure if it is something that I would want to rewatch with frequency.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The only negative to a blind buy here is that the film is really heavy. I was absorbed in it when I saw it and thought it was exceptionally well-crafted. But I'm not sure if it is something that I would want to rewatch with frequency.

Well, for the price of a NYC movie ticket, why not, right? :D :cool: Still debating though... as I do have a huge backlog of stuff I should being watching and usually wait for a good sale, but maybe this one is worth making an exception, which I do on rare occasion...

It's certainly the kind of title I do generally go for even if I might not actually revisit it all that often -- I love classical music (and may have somewhat more invested in that whole scene than the avg classical music lover), so that definitely adds to this and is why I'd prefer my 1st watch to not be streaming (w/ low bitrate lossy audio)...

_Man_

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Well, for the price of a NYC movie ticket, why not, right? :D :cool: Still debating though... as I do have a huge backlog of stuff I should being watching and usually wait for a good sale, but maybe this one is worth making an exception, which I do on rare occasion...

It's certainly the kind of title I do generally go for even if I might not actually revisit it all that often -- I love classical music (and may have somewhat more invested in that whole scene than the avg classical music lover), so that definitely adds to this and is why I'd prefer my 1st watch to not be streaming (w/ low bitrate lossy audio)...

_Man_
Very important track.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Viewed the Blu-ray last week thanks to my local library and thought it was great. For some reason watching it reminded me of the film 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould. Will buy the 4K disc when it goes on sale.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
You have to wait for nearly an hour, before the orchestra thunders into life through your speakers. And when it does, it's glorious. No question, this was the best film I saw last year (and it was the 4K UHD version - the film still has not premiered theatrically over here). All bets are off for Cate Blanchett winning the Oscar.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
For me the film of the year. Full of great moments. The key scene, if there is one? Lydia watching the Lennie tape.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
You have to wait for nearly an hour, before the orchestra thunders into life through your speakers. And when it does, it's glorious.
I got goose bumps at that moment. 99.xx % of films you start watching are by the book, variant 3a, subsection 12... Tar is not. It references greats of the past for sure, but does its own thing.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I got goose bumps at that moment. 99.xx % of films you start watching are by the book, variant 3a, subsection 12... Tar is not. It references greats of the past for sure, but does its own thing.
Totally agree. And I'm just saying: a well-calibrated home theatre, with a decent soundsystem, is almost invariably a superior sonic experience, compared to what a cinema can deliver. Even a really good cinema, with a really good sound system, can't beat what I'm hearing at home. A dedicated small viewing and listening room gives better control of the acoustics and sweet spot. And, of course, you don't have to put up with all the annoyances from other cinema goers. Popcorn films demand a huge IMAX auditorium with an audience. Tár does not. All I wish I had right now, is a better 4K projector! ;)

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
One of those rare films that I watch and go "eh" and then find myself thinking about it constantly. It gets under your skin and keeps tapping you on the shoulder. Now I consider it one of the best films I've seen in 2022. I also agree the disc is phenomenal in quality, along with the film itself. I also think its star has a future in films--keep an eye on her.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
LOL, yeah, I shoulda mentioned I've been taking notice of its star of late... what's her name again? There are no elves nor quarter-way humorous, hammer-wielding viking dudes in this film, right? :laugh:;)

_Man_

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I saw Tar when it came out and purchased the 4K. Absolutely engaging and thought provoking film that gets made every couple of years. Blanchett is astounding. 4K disc is reference quality. I reviewed it on my radio show and was asked about the 2 and half hour duration. There is no time limit on a film for me if it's good ( Dr. Zhivago, Lawrence Of Arabia, Gone With The Wind, Once upon A Time In The West, The Bridge On The River Kwai, On Her Majesty's Secret Service) etc . Comic book films and comedies that run 2 hours plus are mostly painful.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I'm seriously tempted to bypass a library rental and blind buy this UHD. I just bought my 4K display last year; problem is, my sound bar is years old and not Dolby Atmos capable--in fact, some channels of sound irritatingly disappear into the background. To complicate matters, I'm completely, permanently deaf in my left ear, any satellite speaker to that side would be completely useless. Anybody have a recommendation on a good, up to date sound bar on a budget?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I saw Tar when it came out and purchased the 4K. Absolutely engaging and thought provoking film that gets made every couple of years. Blanchett is astounding. 4K disc is reference quality. I reviewed it on my radio show and was asked about the 2 and half hour duration. There is no time limit on a film for me if it's good ( Dr. Zhivago, Lawrence Of Arabia, Gone With The Wind, Once upon A Time In The West, The Bridge On The River Kwai, On Her Majesty's Secret Service) etc . Comic book films and comedies that run 2 hours plus are mostly painful.
Was it Mr. Goldwyn, who when asked how long a film should be, answered "As long as it's good?"

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
I watched it twice on Peacock. Enjoyed it even more the second time, and will watch it again. Here's hoping Cate takes home another Oscar.

Real Name
James
Regrettably, Cate isn't likely to win for this movie. "Tar" is WAY over the heads of the average Academy member, I'm afraid, and it's poor showing at the box office hasn't helped her chances. It's the year of the Asians, with Michelle Yeoh most likely to take home the Oscar. It was definitely the best film I saw last year, and I'm so glad Todd Field is finally back in a director's chair. He's been sorely missed. As for "EEAAO," I've tried three times and haven't been able to get through it.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Hey Winstoncarolina, you seem to live pretty close to me.
I have told everyone exactly the same thing you mention about Blanchett/Yeoh Oscar predictions. The same goes for the intelligence level of the film. I don't watch the Oscars (stopped in 1975, the same year I QUIT TV for good! ) as they mean nothing anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks