What's new

Weekly Roundup Special: Toys R Us preorder for Harry Potter 2: $12.99 total!! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh, shoot...I forgot to mention the deals!

Best Buy's $15.99 price is supplemented by this deal that When you buy HP-tCoS you may buy on the same transaction any one of these titles for $7.99 (pick one; in-store only):
* The Goonies
* Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory
* The Wizard Of Oz

Target's $14.99 price is supplemented by an on-the-box coupon good for a free 2-Liter bottle of Coca-Cola (no other Coke products named; just "The Real Thing") when purchased at the same time.

Borders', uh, price can be reduced by 10% by this coupon...newspapers in some cities apparently carry the same coupon for 15% off instead (YMMV).

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee
Fry's is weighing in this morning (Sunday, 6-April) in their Los Angeles Times ad at $13.99.

Regards,
Lee

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
I went to Best Buy in San Diego this morning when they opened & I requested a pricematch for the Harry Potter DVD for the Toys R Us price of $12.99. They pricematched it with no quesions asked.

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Picked up my HP:COS at Toys R Us (Tacoma, Washington) this morning - it actually ended up being cheaper than $12.99 . . .

Receipt comes up as follows: Total charges: $8.49 + $5.00 down payment = Grand total $13.49 - 8.8% sales tax = $12.40 plus tax.

Okay, so it's only an extra $0.59 but I'll take what I can get.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I had no problems picking up my widescreen version of Harry Potter this afternoon at Toys R Us. They had trouble ringing it up, but they eventually figured it out.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I posted this in the OTHER thread on HP & TRU. But somehow that has dropped out of the front running and now this thread, almost same topic, has come up.

The following took place around 10:30 am, EST

Just got back from TRU. I was the first one, got my pre-order WS version total price with tax, $13.46, (should have been $13.77).

When it rang up the pre-order promo, it charged me tax on $16.99, ($9.01 today, which I paid). I then went and talked to a manager and she said, (just as I felt), that this was not right, I should have been charged tax on the special price of $12.99 (no tax paid at time of $5 deposit). So she messed around in the computer a little bit and refunded me $0.55. Thus my total with tax of $13.46. Not too shabby. I do not think I will bother to exchange or PM if it does show up, definitively cheaper elsewhere. So basically, I save a little, like Jason above did.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can go everybody one better.

Went in tonight to pick up my widescreen copy (no problems. Seemed VERY organized. Had two stacks of DVDs behind the customer service counter.)

My receipt says I got charged $22.99 for the DVD (which is their marked price -- although on sale for $16.99 today and Saturday only). The register then subtracted $6.00 bringing the "balance due" to $16.99. On the next line it subtracted another $10.00 to bring the final cost to $6.99.

The last time I was in math class -- admittedly, a long time ago :b -- $6.99 + $5.00 (deposit) = $11.99! :D

Unsure what their thinking was to ring it up like this. The logic escapes me. At the bottom of the receipt is bold print: You saved $16.00

Further investigation, based on the posts from John & Jason, reveals I DID pay tax on $16.99 for the DVD. Odd.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well Mike, at least the little extra tax was probably offset by the $1 saving in the actual price. What was your bottom line, $11.99 + tax??

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Picked one up at Fry's yesterday for $13.99. These days, with gas still well above $2/G in the Bay Area, any additional driving to save a couple of bucks is not a good deal :frowning: (Frys' on the way home).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well Mike, at least the little extra tax was probably offset by the $1 saving in the actual price. What was your bottom line, $11.99 + tax??
Well, John....

My bottom line was:

$11.99
+$1.36 (8% tax on $16.99)
______
$13.35 Total.

I should have paid:

$12.99
+$1.04 (8% tax on 12.99)
______
$14.03

My total savings over the original deal was $.68 Although they probably would have charged me the tax on $16.99 even if they had charged me the $12.99. So I probably really saved the full $1.00 over the advertised deal.

I doubt I would have noticed the tax over-charge like you did. And even if I had noticed after I got home, I wouldn't have made the trip all the way back to the store to recover the $.32

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
MISS ME? :D

I took advantage of a great day to fix up the garden outside the house. I've been at it pretty much all day, and haven't finished the Roundup I barely started last night.

I'm headed for a shower and dinner...I'll finish the "Miyazaki" Roundup after that. Worst-case scenario, it'll be waiting for you when you wake up tomorrow.

Sorry...house and family are a priority!

Harry Potter Question...

I didn't get a chance to pick it up yet, but I was wondering if it is still on sale at Walmart or Target. The ads usually come out on Sunday, but the sale didn't begin until that Friday. Is it a 3 day sale or a 10 day sale?

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Don't know about Wal-Mart but I was just in Target picking up Toy Story and Toy Story 2 for $12.99 each. I was also going to get Harry Potter, but it was $17.99, not $14.99 with a free 2 liter. Guess it was a Friday Saturday only thing.

I am going to swing by Wal-Mart on the way home from work and see if it is cheaper there.

Ronnie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks