What's new

Weekly Roundup 3/4 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.

[c] [/c]

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definate price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements which the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a five-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

WHOA:

[c]
__________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_Target__CostCo__SamsClb
1984______________________$14.99__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
The Benny Goodman Story___$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Best of The Muppet Show 3_$14.96__$17.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Best of The Muppet Show 4_$14.96__$17.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Born Free_________________$14.96__$17.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Born Yesterday(MGriffith)_$11.24__$ 9.99_$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Dark Crystal (SuperBit)___$20.21__$22.99__$26.96__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Das Boot (SuperBit)_______$20.21__$22.99__$26.96__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Day The Earth Stood Still_$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Dr. Who: The Aztecs_______$18.74__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Dr. Who: Veng. On Varos___$18.74__$19.99_$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Equus_____________________$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Father Ted: Cmpl Series 3_$26.24__$29.99__$24.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
The Glenn Miller Story____$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Green Card________________$ 9.99__$ 7.99__$ 9.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Half Past Dead____________$20.21__$17.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Heavy Metal (SuperBit)____$20.21__$22.99__$26.96__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
It's The Easter Beagle CB_$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Journey/Center of Earth___$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Labyrinth (SuperBit)______$20.21__$22.99__$26.96__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Legend of the Fall (SBit)_$20.21__$22.99__$26.96__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Medabots Vol. 8___________$14.99__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Of Mice and Men - Sp. Ed._$14.99__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Osbournes S1 - Uncensored_$22.49__$14.99__$16.99__$_N/A___$17.49__$19.87
Quest For Fire____________$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
The Ref___________________$11.24__$ 9.99__$ 8.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
The Ring - Widescreen_____$19.96__$15.99__$14.99__$_"LP"__$18.29__$19.84
Ringu_____________________$22.49__$24.99__$24.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
ScoobyDoo: Legend/Vampire_$18.74__$19.99__$19.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Seven Years/Tibet (SBit)__$20.21__$22.99__$26.96__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
SpongeBob SqPts: Lost@Sea_$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Star Trek IV: Vyg Home-SE_$18.74__$15.99__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A_
Sweet Charity_____________$11.24__$12.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Three Colors films (each)_$14.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Three Colors Trilogy: BOX_$29.99__$_N/A___$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
[/c]

* BE CAREFUL! The Ring is available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one.

* Non-OAR discs are, as usual, entirely left off the Roundup. Examples: Blank Check, First Kid, Heavyweights, Living Free (the last is the sequel to Born Free). Everyone give your usual thanks to Buena Vista and to Sony/Columbia-TriStar. :rolleyes

* A word about The Osbournes: The Complete First Season: I have seen notes and posts about how some find this show funnier with the bleeps, and intend to get "The Censored version". To every one of you I want to point out that The Uncensored version gives you the ability to view/listen to the show EITHER way, with or without bleeps, and is therefore the greater value for the money. For this reason (and for the fact that every retailer listed in the Roundup grid shows the same price for each version) I only choose to list the Uncensored Version in the Roundup. I do understand that some of you just don't want the Uncensored version in your house for various reasons. That's fine, too. I fully intend to get the Uncensored version, if I decide to get either one (cash is still short in the Lambert house lately). I promise the world I won't let my 5-year-old son hear it unbleeped! :)

* Well, maybe not EVERY retailer in the Roundup. Target's weekly circular only shows the Censored version of The Osbournes: The Complete First Season pictured, and makes no separate mention of a separately Uncensored version. So, uh, never mind.

* CompUSA claims in their ad to have a "HOT PRICE!" on The Osbournes: The Complete First Season. Problem is, the only version pictured is the Censored version. So, uh, never mind...again.

* Want to take bets as to whether or not the Unsensored version of The Osbournes: The Complete First Season will be available at Wal-Mart? I didn't think so. If you're hard up, K-Mart's ad shows the Uncensored version, but at $19.95 (all their advertised titles are $19.95 this week, so that's all I'll say about K-Mart...or Kame-aPart as the new nickname goes).

* But really, head to Best Buy for your, uh, Best Buy on The Osbournes: The Complete First Season at $14.99...and then save $5 more if you also get any Ozzy or Kelly CD at the same time. Or, pay $16.99 at Circuit City and get a free mousepad (while supplies last, of course).

* Getting back to Target, the "Low Price" ($_"LP") advertised on The Ring (and The Osbournes: The Complete First Season - Censored version if indeed that's what you want and all they've got) is very likely to be $15.99, same as Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Special Edition.

* For those of you upset because Best Buy only shows the individual Three Colors releases, and the box set is marked "$_N/A" in the Roundup: this may be a problem with my ability to find it in their listings. I finally found the individual listings under Trois Couleurs: Bleu, Trois Couleurs: Blanc, and Trois Couleurs: Rouge. Circuit City listed them that way, as part of the Trois Couleurs: series (even though the box set was listed there as Krzysztof Kieslowski's Three Colors). So go to Best Buy and look around. But for gosh sakes, don't bother to ask a pimply-faced employee to look it up in the system! I will bet my hat that they'll tell you "not carried" 100% of the time! By-the-way, Borders comes to mind for titles like this; they were more expensive than the other listings, but they're worth checking if you want it badly.

* Ringu fans: I'm apolgize that it's so darn expensive. I looked in a few other places to see if there were to be any bargains to be found, but none. The prices in the Roundup were the best out there. The next best one was Borders at $28.99 (maybe a good place to check if noone's got any left and you're desperate). I think they are just milking the market on this one, sorry. I'm shocked Best Buy didn't offer a 2-for-1 low price deal.

* Did everyone get the Quote of the Week up at the top? It was taken from The Day The Earth Stood Still. I thought it was better to use than the cliche, "Gort! Klaatu Barada Nikto!" If I was going to use a quote from a different release this week, the quote was going to be this one: "Bleeeeeeep. Bleep bleep bleep. Bleep." :D

* A final word: If you find that a title you're interested in didn't happen to be mentioned in this week's Roundup, then all I can say is: 35 ENTRIES FOR ME TO LIST IS PLENTY! ;) In fact, it's posted earlier today than in recent weeks because I had to get started early to list all this stuff. And how much of it will I buy? There is easily a dozen titles I consider "must-have essentials". But I'm broke, as I mentioned earlier. :frowning:

The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
• Age of Innocence, The $29.95 $19.95
• Beowulf $32.99 $19.99
• Bounty Hunters 2: Hardball $32.99 $19.99
• Cider House Rules, The $32.99 $19.99
• Civil Action, A $19.99 $14.95
• Color of Night $19.99 $14.95
• Dead Man $32.99 $19.99
• Dead Poets Society $29.99 $19.99
• East is East $29.99 $14.95
• Evita $19.99 $14.95
• Farewell My Concubine $22.99 $14.95
• Flubber $29.99 $19.99
• Good Will Hunting $32.99 $19.99
• Highlander 3: The Final Dimension $29.99 $19.99
• Highlander: Endgame $32.99 $19.99
• Human Traffic $22.99 $14.95
• Last Picture Show $27.95 $19.95
• Mighty Aphrodite $32.99 $19.99
• Monument Ave. $29.99 $19.99
• Nixon (Collector's Series) $29.99 $19.99
• Priest $22.99 $14.95
• Romy and Michele's High School Reunion $29.99 $19.99
• Rushmore $32.99 $19.99
• Scooby-Doo & The Cyber Chase $24.98 $19.98
• Tall Guy, The $32.99 $14.95
• Wild One, The $27.95 $19.95
• With a Friend Like Harry $22.95 $14.95

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD (there may be duplication of above, but glance through it anyway):
-------------------------
EFFECTIVE 3.04.03
Buena Vista - East is East, A Civil Action, With a Friend Like Harry, Human Traffic, Evita, Color of Night, Farewell My Concubine, Priest, The Tall Guy 14.99

Buena Vista - Nixon: DC, Dead Poets Society, Dead Man, Bounty Hunters 2, Highlander: Final Dimension, Beowulf, The Cider House Rules, Good Will Hunting, Romy and Michele's HS Reunion, Rushmore, Monument Ave, Flubber, Mighty Aphrodite, Highlander: Endgame 19.99

Columbia Tristar - The Age of Innocence, The Last Picture Show, The Wild One 19.95

GlenH

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

I just wanted to say thanks for your weekly roundup. This is the first thing I read every Sunday morning when I turn my computer on. I hope you won't get tired of doing this as it is a GREAT service for all of us who visit these forums.

Glen

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Great Roundup Dave, thanks. I'm bummed... I ordered Star Trek V awhile ago from Amazon, and Best Buy is $3 cheaper! It's too late to modify my order. Oh well. At least I'll head over there this week to pick up The Ring, and a few things I didn't make it to the store to get last week.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Thanks again David for the weekly roundup. I will probably pick up "The Day the Earth Stool Still" and Osbournes.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Holy shnikes that's a big round up! I'll be getting at least 4 off it. Thanks Dave. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I can't believe the prices on Ringu. They must not want to sell very many of them :rolleyes

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Besy Buy DVD prices:

$19.99
The Weight of Water

Entertainer's Basketball Classic at Rucker Park--$12.99
Sweet Home Alabama--$17.99
Bourne Identity--$17.99
Road to Perdition-- Hot Price

$19.99
Spy Kids 2
The Tuxedo
Knockaround Guys
City by the Sea

$8.99
Basic Instinct
Ghost
Road House
Hoosiers
Under Siege

------

Circuit City DVD prices:

Fear.Com 14.99
Jonah:Veggie Tales Movie 17.99
Signs 17.99
Road to Perdition LP 17.99
Brown Sugar LP 17.99

Knockaround Guys
Four Feathers
Tuxedo
Bourne Identity
Minority Report
Formula 51

Armageddon
Blade Runner
Cheech/Chong's up in smoke
Entertainer's Basketball Classic of Rucker Park

Analyze This
Legend of the Fall
A Low Down Dirty Shame

-----

Target DVD prices

Jonah A Veggietales movie

The Princess Diaries
Snow Dogs
Dinosaur
The Emperor's New Groove
Daredevil vs. Spider-Man
The Fox and the Hound

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Very busy week for me........Star Trek IV, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Journey to the Center Of The Earth, The Ring & Ringu, The Osbournes(Uncensored) and.............

Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie.

Best Buy & Circuit City both have this(Jonah:Veggie Tales Movie) listed for $17.99. This is a great movie for those of you with children. And the adult in me likes it too. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Joe.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ringu fans: ... I'm shocked Best Buy didn't offer a 2-for-1 low price deal.
As am I. Oh well, this one is off my buy list this week. Too damn expensive for a bare-bones single disk without a Criterion spine number. ;) I'll wait for a price reduction.

David - thanks as always for the hard work you put in on this every week.

Ben Seibert

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to pick up Ringu but will also wait for a cheaper price. Just Osbournes and The Day the Earth Stood Still for me. Thanks as always for the great roundup.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I thought this was going to be a VERY heavy week for me, but it's getting lighter every moment.

Star Trek 4 - same transfer as before - no sale

Man of the House - p&s - no sale

I'll still be getting A Connecticut Yankee, Das Boot, and the Muppets.

I was also going to get Born Yesterday for the wife, but with it being so cheap and by Buena Vista, I need to make sure it's not pan & scan or something.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
* For those of you upset because Best Buy only shows the individual Three Colors releases, and the box set is marked "$_N/A" in the Roundup: this may be a problem with my ability to find it in their listings. I finally found the individual listings under Trois Couleurs: Bleu, Trois Couleurs: Blanc, and Trois Couleurs: Rouge. Circuit City listed them that way, as part of the Trois Couleurs: series (even though the box set was listed there as Krzysztof Kieslowski's Three Colors). So go to Best Buy and look around. But for gosh sakes, don't bother to ask a pimply-faced employee to look it up in the system! I will bet my hat that they'll tell you "not carried" 100% of the time!
I know of a certain pimply-faced employee who has actually seen the Three Colors Trilogy box in the back warehouse of the Best Buy he works in! :eek:

;)

Thanks, Dave!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I was going to post here to ask what's the story on the Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller DVDs. The roundup lists them separately, as do some retailers, but I noticed that BestBuy.com also lists them together as a double feature DVD for only $14.99. And DVDPriceSearch.com only lists these titles together as a double feature, not separately.

I searched here and found that David and others recently discussed this in this thread; apparently Universal changed plans on this, and only single-disc releases are to be offered.

So, what do you think BestBuy would do if I ordered the 2-pack? Any chance they would send me the individual discs and honor the price? My guess is not. They'll probably figure out soon that the item isn't available and cancel any orders.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Great job as always David.

For those willing to wait on shipping here are 2 good deals that I know of at DeepDiscountDVD.

ST-04 The Voyage Home (SCE) $15.89
Green Card $6.30

Those prices are no charge for shipping and no tax to most locations.

Question, in light of the Labyrinth Superbit, what is the transfer quality like of the version already out, (that one is on my list of eventually to buy, so I'd like to know if I need to Superbit it instead).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks