What's new

Weekly Roundup 3/18 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Now I go two, three minutes where booze never crosses my mind.

[c] [/c]

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed advertisements, the Sunday of the week of release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website or perhaps in their ads...but it COULD still be in-stores!

$_"LP" means the advertisement says "Low Price", and $_"HP" means the advertisement says "Hot Price". Use of either of these in the Roundup grid indicates that I could not locate a definate price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a five-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!

Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

[c]
__________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_Target__CostCo__SamsClb
8 Mile - WS Uncensored BF_$17.49__$14.99__$14.99__$_"LP"__$18.29__$18.97
Abandon - WS______________$22.49__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams___$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Andromeda 1.5_____________$29.99__$27.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Auto Focus________________$20.21__$17.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$19.99__$_N/A_
Charlotte's Web 2_________$14.99__$14.99__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Cheats____________________$20.24__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Citizen Toxie -Unrated DC_$18.71__$17.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Day For Night_____________$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Empire____________________$20.24__$17.99__$19.99__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A_
In A Lonely Place_________$18.71__$22.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Keeping Up Appearnces-Box_$59.99__$69.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Keeping Up Appearnces-Ind_$18.74__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
NYPD Blue: Season 1_______$44.99__$45.99__$45.99__$_N/A___$37.99__$41.32
Police: Every Breath/Take_$14.99__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Rodger Dodger_____________$20.24__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Sordid Lives______________$26.24__$30.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Welcome To Collinwood_____$20.24__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
[/c]

* BE CAREFUL! 8 Mile and Abandon are available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one. Additionally, 8-Mile has another pair of versions (each available in Wide or Full): Censored Bonus Materials and Uncensored Bonus Materials. I have chosen to include the version that is Widescreen Uncensored Bonus Materials in the Roundup. The price on each *should* not be different, but I already have an example where it is: Amazon is charging $2.75 more for the Censored than for the Uncensored version. I guess it costs money to pay for the editor! ;)

* Non-OAR discs are, as usual, entirely left off the Roundup. Example: The Kingston High, Pokemon 4Ever.

* Best Buy has the following Fox titles on special as 3-for-$30: History of the World Part 1, Young Frankenstein, Raising Arizona, Office Space, The Last of the Mohicans, Behind Enemy Lines, An Affair to Remember (Fox Studio Classics), Say Anything, Men of Honor, The Sound of Music. The last two have the 4x3 versions pictured, and it is unknown if they will honor this deal on the widescreen versions as well (there is reason to doubt it). As with last week's $2-for-$25 deal, you can buy these individually through BestBuy.com and have them either delivered to your home, or mark them for in-store pickup (if available). But if you're planning on visiting the store instead, and reading this on Sunday 3/16, I would try to head over there right away to catch these before they sell out! The fine print: "Limit: 3 per title per customer. Maximum: 30 per customer."

* Best Buy will also let you save $5 instantly by purchasing 8 Mile and any DVD from the "Music" shelf category.

* In case you're not a member of Costco, then you need to know that CompUSA has NYPD Blue: Season 1 for just $39.99, as well as 8 Mile for a "Hot Price".

* Expect most Wal-Mart stores to have Charlotte's Web 2: Wilbur's Great Adventure for either $14.88 or more likely for $14.24...prices vary by location. Either way, it should be the best price on this new item for the kiddies. Also, if you don't have the original film, look for a two-pack with both in it. Be careful, though, as I don't know if the two-packs have the widescreen or the fullscreen version of the original film (both were released months apart). The new sequel is direct-to-video, so fullscreen is proper.

* Been wondering where the Borders coupons went? Well, apparently they are now SOMETIMES generating coupons on the bottoms of receipts. In some stores, buying a book for $10 or more generates a coupon good for 20% off of anything, including DVDs. In other stores, the coupons are 10% or 15% off, and the price plateaus and items are different. Some stores have no coupons being generated at all. It may be random, or it may be regional. But if you have something you want to get anyway and can get it at least tied for the best price at Borders, get it there and see if you will get a coupon. Also be aware that there are sales coming up for "Student" and then after that for "Senior Citizens", so if you qualify for either segment it may be a good time to see if you get coupons. Good luck.

The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
None

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD (there may be some duplication of above, but read through it anyway):
None

The latest markdowns according to misc. other sources. I haven't verified these, so take them with a grain of salt, please...some of these may not belong on this list (New SRP/DVD Title):
$9.98Rambo - First Blood Part II (Special Edition)
$9.98Rambo III (Special Edition)
$9.99Kissing A Fool
$9.99Madigan
$9.99The Matchmaker
$9.99That Old Feeling
$14.98Basic Instinct (Collector's Edition)
$14.98Cutthroat Island
$14.98The Doors (Special Edition)
$14.98Total Recall
$19.98Kids in the Hall: Tour of Duty
$19.98Reservoir Dogs
$24.98Bull Durham (Special Edition)
$24.98Jesus of Nazareth

Well, that wraps a second weak week in-a-row. Just "The Police: Every Breath You Take" and perhaps "NYPD Blue" for me! I'll see if the missus wants "An Affair To Remember" at that price; I might not mind either (fan of "Sleepless in Seattle" that I am). Ah, well...things will pick up next week with titles like Maid In Manhattan, Jackass - The Movie ( :eek: ), Futurama, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, C.S.I. Season 1, Straw Dogs (Criterion), Harold & the Purple Crayon, and - best of all - Lord of the G-Strings: The Femaleship of the String! :D

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks for all the hard work on these lists, David. Looks like Auto Focus, In a Lonely Place and Day for Night for me. I already picked up Dreams last week at a local store and it's beautiful.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I'm only picking up Cheats and Sol Goode (which was not on the roundup) this week. The only two titles of interest for me are Citizen Toxie and Rodger Dodger which I'll pick up later (and with Artisan's track record, Rodger Dodger should be $9 in a few months).

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching In a Lonely Place to see if I wanted to buy this upcoming dvd, but while the film is very well-done, it's not a purchase for me, so nothing this week.

Still, thanks for all the hard work Dave.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey, Dave! Another quiet week for me.

Looking forward to WFRR next week. I've got a coupon for $3 off at my local BJ's Wholesale Club! It was printed inside their coupon catalog that is mailed to members. I've also got a separate coupon for BJ's to get $10 off a $50 purchase if I use a MasterCard.

In some Borders, buying a book for $10 or more generates a coupon good for 20% off of anything, including DVDs. In other stores, the coupons are 10% or 15% off, and the price plateaus and items are different. Some stores have no coupons being generated at all. It may be random, or it may be regional.
Was just at my local Borders (Albany, NY) last Sunday 3/9. Spent $28.65 on books & newspapers. The cashier made sure to point out to me that at the bottom of my receipt was a coupon for 10% my total purchase from 3/21 - 3/27.
The only restrictions are: "Excludes prior purchases, gift cards, shipping, periodicals & member fees. One coupon per purchase, per customer. May not combine with other discounts or coupons. Not valid at borders.com." Guess that would certainly include DVDs.

P.S. BTW, your sig pix don't seem to be working for me right now.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Mike, the sig pix are fine for me now. Up until this morning they weren't working because early on Friday I had exceeded by 5000-hits-per-week bandwidth limit on my ISP's personal webspace. That was because of the Indy Jones art I'd posted on Thursday night. I've had to kill it, since it was killing me. :)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Dave. Another weak week. I did think that 'The Grey Zone' was coming out this week? This in anticipation of 'Roger Rabbit' next week and a very eventful week of 4/1. I'll let my wallet rest this week...

Joel

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
You said: CompUSA has the NYPD Blue: Season 1 for just $39.99. But we are all aware of the minimal inventory stock they seem to hold. :thumbsdown:
If you get there early, maybe you will get one.
Thanks for the work again this week:emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy DVD prices:

3 for $30 (or get them @$10 online)
(relisted for easier viewing)
Men of Honor
History of the World Part 1
Young Frankenstein
Raising Arizona
Office Space
The Last of the Mohicans
Behind Enemy Lines
The Sound of Music
An Affair to Remember (Fox Studio Classics)
Say Anything

$15.99:
The Usual Suspects Special Edition
Training Day
Pulp Fiction Collector's Edition
Jackie Brown
Snatch Superbit Deluxe
State Property

$14.99 Music DVD titles:
The Up in Smoke Tour
An Evening with the Dixie Chicks
Jennifer Lopez - Let's Get Loud

-------------

Circuit City DVD prices:

xXx 14.99

Road to Perdition 19.99
Unfaithful 17.99
Black Hawk Down 19.99
Gladitor 19.99
LOTR:FOTR EE 26.99
As Good As It Gets 8.99
Evita 8.99

12.99:
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Moulin Rouge
Good Will Hunting
Rocky
American Beauty
English Patient
Platoon (regular edition)
Traffic

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Everybody interested in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, check out the very first "Weekly Roundup Special" post to get a pre-order deal from Toys R Us for just $12.99!!! This week only!!

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Thanks for the roundup Dave! Looks like another slow week for me. April 15 can't get here soon enough....

Chris S.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Very slow week indeed, with just me catching up on older dvds that I tend to forget to buy (like Angel and Buffy FINALLY). But this week is mainly gearing up for the GBA SP! :D

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Great roundup Dave. Really looking forward to WFRR next week, but you managed to get me to spend $45 at best buy this week on 8 Mile, Office Space, and the two Mel Brooks films. I was holding out on Office Space for a SE, but this is getting rediculous. I can justify a $10 release.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, light week for me too (Dreams, because I have loved all the Kurosawa I've seen). That's good because w/ the WFRR & Led Zep stuff coming (as well as The Beatles Anthology) I'll need to save as much as I can in the coming weeks and months! Come on, Uncle Sam and Uncle Gray, get my tax returns to me pronto! :D

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Dreams is the only thing on my buy list this week. mmm... Kurosawa
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Thankfully another slow week. Maybe I can use it to catch up on the March 4 barrage that hit so hard.... :D

Jodee

Screenwriter
Also out this week is the Trading Spaces DVD, which Deep Discount DVD has for only $11.46.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
To Blue or not to Blue? For $38, I might pick up NYPD season 1 as I've never watched the show. My partner expresses great disdain though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks