What's new

Weekly Roundup 11/19 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This life has been a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.
[c] [/c]
Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a four-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!
Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

[c]
__________TITLE____________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo__SamsClb_Borders
All Montsters Attack!_____$18.74__$24.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$19.99
All Thumbs: Complete Coll_$37.49__$39.99__$39.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$40.99
Andromeda 1.3_____________$29.99__$24.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$39.99
Glengarry Glen Ross_______$20.24__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
GodThumb - SE_____________$ 9.99__$ 9.99__$ 9.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$ 9.99
Juwanna Mann______________$20.24__$19.99__$16.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
My Science Project________$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$18.99
My So-Called Life_________$67.49__$59.99__$69.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$89.99
Reign of Fire - SE________$22.49__$17.99__$15.99__$17.99__$19.42__$_N/A_
Roswell: The UFO Cover-Up_$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
Spirit (WS)_______________$22.94__$19.99__$15.99__$19.99__$19.98__$25.99
Sweet Bird of Youth_______$ 9.98__$ 9.99__$ 9.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A_
[/c]
* BE CAREFUL! Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron is available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions...get the correct one.
* Non-OAR discs are, as usual, entirely left off the Roundup. Examples: The Last Seduction and The Hit.
* Target and K-Mart seem to be the places to check lately! Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron is $14.99 at both chains! But Target wins out because they give you free Act II popcorn (a "6-pk") with purchase! Both also do great with Reign of Fire which is $14.99 at Target and $15.99 at K-Mart. But Target gets the hat trick, with a $14.99 price on Juwanna Mann to boot! Wee-doggy! Please note that Target's ad circular shows Spirit and Reign of Fire as "Low Price" in the ad itself. I have it on the BEST authority that the price is indeed $14.99 for each, but please remember that this is subject to last-minute change. In other words, don't beat me if this is wrong; it aint' my fault! ;)
* For *their* Spirit purchasers, Best Buy has a bonus item, too: a "Holiday Fun Kit" CD-Rom. with "over 70 printable images" (presumably from the movie). Also, Reign of Fire purchasers get $5 off instantly if they also purchase Count of Monto Cristo at the same time. And, if you purchase Glenngary Glen Ross, you get a $5 gift card free.
* The only new title advertised at CompUSA this week is Spirit for $19.99.
* Walgreens Drug Stores are advertising Spirit for $20 even. Did I just say that?
* A reminder for Borders customers that today and tomorrow (Sun & Mon) are the last two days to use this coupon! This is a "Friends and Family Days" deal, and it goes on to say this: "Print this page and bring it to your local Borders, Waldenbooks/Brentano's, or Borders Outlet store to save 20% on almost everything in the store from November 15 through November 18." It has some restrictions: "DVD discount at Waldenbooks/Brentanos is 10%. Discount on electronics and video games is 10%. Offer excludes DVD players, previous purchases, purchase of gift certificates, shipping charges, non-stock special orders, used or out-of-print titles, newspapers, periodicals, comics, and membership fees." Notice that the DVD discount restriction applies to Waldenbooks/Brentanos, but not to Borders! Keep in mind once again, though, that Borders registers are pre-programmed to restrict DVD discounts to 15%. Duke it out with the staff if you're willing to, but I'm not!
* Slow week this week, eh? I'm not even planning to spend $100!! :eek: Well, we all need time to catch up on our other recent purchases. I'm glad that Best Buy will have the plain jane version of the My So-Called Life box set on sale for $59.99 (normally $67.99); I can live without the lunchbox and the vaporware bonus disc for that low a price!!!
* P.S. - For anyone who still hasn't managed to get Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (chased away by the crowds, perhaps?), K-Mart is still advertising it for $14.87! Even if they are out of Widescreen copies, the ad should still be good for a price match at Wal-Mart.
The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
None listed. Hmmm....

Devin U

Second Unit
Thanks once again! A slow week for me too. I think for now it's just My Science Project, one of my favorite flicks!

Robert McLay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Thanks from me also. I will probably get Glengarry Glen Ross, sight unseen, from everyone talking about it. And maybe Reign of Fire, but have heard mixed things about that one. But as always: Thanks Dave.

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
Our Target ad shows Juwanna Man for $14.99 and Reign of Fire and Spirit as "low price". Are you sure Spirit is going to be $14.99.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Nothing for me this week. :) Thank God, because even though I only want one disc next week, the week after that has 8, including 4 or 5 multi-disc sets. Ouch :frowning:

Annette F

Auditioning
Thanks so much Dave!

The other hot DVD deal this week is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at Toys R Us for $9.99! You have to open up their flyer to see it.

Annette

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
HHHHHHMMMMMMMM. Lets see. What goodies do I want this week. Reign Of Fire for me. Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron for my little bro.

Easy week.

Also for those that may not have seen it. Ron will have a review up on Tuesday for Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. I will be looking forward to that.

And for the first time in lord knows how long. I have NOTHING on pre-order.

Joe

P.S. Dave, the saying you have at the top of the round up is that a movie quote or something you've heard kicked around for some time. Just curious.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Scott Shanks said:
Dave, the saying you have at the top of the round up is that a movie quote or something you've heard kicked around for some time. Just curious.
It is a quote from the character "Angela" from My So-Called Life. I always use quotes from a new DVD release that is somewhere in the Roundup. Preferably a classic title, not a recent movie...something "we all grew up with", y'know? If they're more obscure from time to time, then so much the better! :D Consider it to be a game: "Name That Quote". Thanks for asking, Joe...and thanks for your other help recently. :wink:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Totally bummed about the $20 "sale" price for Glengary Glen Ross.

K-Mart is also the low price leader for Shania Twain's new album "Up!" at $9.86 (and it comes with a free poster if you buy it sooner rather than later (until supplies last)).

Jodee

Screenwriter
Yes, the $5 gift card essentially makes Glengarry Glen Ross $14.99 at Best Buy-- although you get the $5 off a future purchase (for me not hard to do).
My So-Called Life is $45.78 shipped at Deep Discount DVD for super-bargain hunters. I opted to order it there since I still haven't been refunded my $99 from the pre-order fiasco. Getting the set when it becomes available at a dirt-cheap price lightens the sting a bit.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Glengarry Glen Ross has my name written all over it. If you haven't seen it yet, you now have no excuse to see this terrific film.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Here are some other catalog deals from the sales circulars:
Best Buy
Get 2 DVDs for only $15 (or $8.99 each):
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
Overboard
Spaceballs
Kingpin
Ronin
What's the Worst That Could Happen?
Original Sin
UHF
Showgirls
8 Heads in a Duffel Bag
2 for $20 (or $12.99 each)
Friday
Next Friday
$12.99
Bond special editions (re-issued titles). Box set- $79.99 (Save $15 instantly with combined purchase of DVD box & 007 PS2 game.)
Count of Monte Cristo - $17.99
Free $5 Gift Card instantly with purchase of both CoMC & Reign of Fire
Chicken Run - $14.99
(Buy 1 and get free DVD by mail: Chicken Run, Shrek, Prince of Egypt, Road to El Dorado & Joseph: King of Dreams)
Mr Deeds - $19.99
LOTR:FOTR 4DVD - $27.99
South Park box - $29.99
Band of Brothers - $89.99
All ABout the Benjamins - $19.99
Tony Hawk's Gigantic Skatepark Tour - $14.99

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
After last week's insanity, I needed this slow upcoming week! The Best Buy price/deal on GGR is intriguing...

Terry H

Second Unit
Use a $2 netflix coupon (best buy has netflix "free trial" cases all over) plus you get the $5 gift card previously mentioned. $13 for GGR. Not bad.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
[rant]Costco coolness![/rant]
$89.99 for every A&E megaset!
  • Monty Python
  • The Prisoner
  • Space: 1999
  • Thunderbirds
  • Romance Literature Classics
Those are the ones I saw...if there were any others, I missed 'em. But they had a whole pallet of these...lots of copies of each!

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Compusa has Antz for $12.99
Strangely, Best Buy has the Dreamworks animation stuff for $14.99 but they don't list Antz.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Only Cowboy Bebop: Best Sessions for me. Being the "Bebop whore" that I am, this is a godsend. ;) The DVD contains these episodes:
- Asteroid Blues
- Ballad of Fallen Angels
- Wild Horses
- Mushroom Samba
- Waltz for Venus
- Hard Luck Woman
...all remastered in DTS 5.1 / Dolby Digital
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks