What's new

Web Hosting Options? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm going to be looking for a web hosting option in the next couple of months, and I thought I'd see if anyone here at the HTF had any experience. I had external hosting 6 or 7 years ago, but a lot has changed since then and I really don't know where to begin.

I currently run my small website off of my machine here at home, but I'll be losing my static IP when I move at the end of July. I'll also need email, and I'd rather just use my own domain rather than paying for Yahoo Mail, or whatever. I don't need gobs of through-put, but it would be nice to have a large mailbox and multiple email accounts. Anybody have any ideas on pricing?

I haven't yet registered a domain yet, and a lot has changed in that arena as well considering back in the day it was all done through InterNIC. If I could pay one organization to do everything, that would probably simplify things a great deal...but I'd be open to any suggestions.

Hope someone out there can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm going to be looking for a web hosting option in the next couple of months, and I thought I'd see if anyone here at the HTF had any experience. I had external hosting 6 or 7 years ago, but a lot has changed since then and I really don't know where to begin.

I currently run my small website off of my machine here at home, but I'll be losing my static IP when I move at the end of July. I'll also need email, and I'd rather just use my own domain rather than paying for Yahoo Mail, or whatever. I don't need gobs of through-put, but it would be nice to have a large mailbox and multiple email accounts. Anybody have any ideas on pricing?

I haven't yet registered a domain yet, and a lot has changed in that arena as well considering back in the day it was all done through InterNIC. If I could pay one organization to do everything, that would probably simplify things a great deal...but I'd be open to any suggestions.

Hope someone out there can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
you can pay one organization to do it all. I use www.godaddy.com to register my domain, but I use www.mmchost.com to host it. I think I'm paying $5 a month for 500 megs, something like 5 gigs of transfer, and unlimited domains and email.
I think godaddy has hosting options too. Originally I registerred with 1and1.com but they're so horrible I paid another 7 bucks just to switch registrars so I'd avoid them if I were you
in this day and age it's rediculously cheap and easy to do. I keep the domain just for email, don't even have a page up. :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
you can pay one organization to do it all. I use www.godaddy.com to register my domain, but I use www.mmchost.com to host it. I think I'm paying $5 a month for 500 megs, something like 5 gigs of transfer, and unlimited domains and email.
I think godaddy has hosting options too. Originally I registerred with 1and1.com but they're so horrible I paid another 7 bucks just to switch registrars so I'd avoid them if I were you
in this day and age it's rediculously cheap and easy to do. I keep the domain just for email, don't even have a page up. :)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I use JaguarPC, and I have never been more satisfied. I have used JaguarPC for three years. They offer 1000MB disk space, and 45 GB bandwidth for 7.95 per year if you prepay for 12 months. It drops to 5.95 if you prepay 24 months. Their plans include all the extra's, including 30 MySQL databases.And unlke almost every other host I have seen, they allow you to host 6 domains on the same account, and it's not forwarding either. They have excellent service, including support forums that are very helpful. Also, they have excellent response times whenever I submit a support ticket. Most of my tickets get answered within an hour. I would highly recommend them.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I use JaguarPC, and I have never been more satisfied. I have used JaguarPC for three years. They offer 1000MB disk space, and 45 GB bandwidth for 7.95 per year if you prepay for 12 months. It drops to 5.95 if you prepay 24 months. Their plans include all the extra's, including 30 MySQL databases.And unlke almost every other host I have seen, they allow you to host 6 domains on the same account, and it's not forwarding either. They have excellent service, including support forums that are very helpful. Also, they have excellent response times whenever I submit a support ticket. Most of my tickets get answered within an hour. I would highly recommend them.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I use Future Point they have several layers of hosting options with email and all the bells and whistles. They will even register your domain name for free. As with others quick to respond to issues. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I use Future Point they have several layers of hosting options with email and all the bells and whistles. They will even register your domain name for free. As with others quick to respond to issues. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

One question, I'm currently using crappy ol' MS Access for my database stuff and I see most hosting options include MySQL. Is it very hard porting to MySQL from Access?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

One question, I'm currently using crappy ol' MS Access for my database stuff and I see most hosting options include MySQL. Is it very hard porting to MySQL from Access?

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
MySQl has the same database structure as Access. You will just have to learn a little bit of PHP to connect to it. On the other hand, I think it is possible to use ASP to connect to it, but PHP is preferred. You should learn some PHP anyway, you can do almost anything with it, and it is the up and coming language.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
MySQl has the same database structure as Access. You will just have to learn a little bit of PHP to connect to it. On the other hand, I think it is possible to use ASP to connect to it, but PHP is preferred. You should learn some PHP anyway, you can do almost anything with it, and it is the up and coming language.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks