What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

WB Dvd DeciSION 2006 (1 Viewer)

JohnPM

Second Unit
Interesting choices, but these ten won out for me ---

Best Foot Forward
Bhowani Junction
Madame Curie
Band Of Angels
Sunrise At Campobello
Angels In The Outfield
Operation Crossbow
Cimarron
Up Periscope
The Eddie Cantor Story

I left out "April In Paris" only because I suspect Warners will put it in a future Doris Day box set.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
These were my picks:

All Fall Down
Arrangement, The
Hand, The
Illustrated Man, The
Operation Crossbow
There Was a Crooked Man
You're a Big Boy Now

I have a feeling none of these will make the cut:frowning:

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
"GYMKATA" for the win! Plus a few others already mentioned here.

I'm sure there is plenty of hate here for "Gymkata" and no doubt it sticks out on that particular list of possible releases but man this is a childhood memory for me. I was always into martial arts movies, etc. no matter how cheesy and I remember seeing this one over and over. Also a DVD release will stop the stupid VHS from getting freeking $70+ bucks used.

Charles H

Screenwriter
All things considered, a bit disappointing. I'm certain that ANGELS IN THE OUTFIELD was mentioned already for a 2007 release and CIMMARON is a shoo-in for the Glenn Ford Collection. UP PERISCOPE is a solid little war picture that would work well in a James Garner Collection opposite DARBY'S RANGERS, BOY'S NIGHT OUT, MR. BUDDWING, MARLOWE, THE WHEELER DEALERS, THEY ONLY KILL THEIR MASTERS, and best-of-all, 36 HOURS. Throw in Robert Osborne's interview with underrated Garner from TCM,
THE EDDIE CANTOR is one of the worst film bios of all-times. Much better from the same period is Michael Curtiz's THE STORY OF WILL ROGERS with WIll Rogers jr. playing his dad, Jane wyman and Eddie Cantor as himself. Warner Bros controls four Cantor films from the 40s (40 LITTLE MOTHERS, THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS, SHOW BUSINESS, and IF YOU KNEW SUSIE) that would make an interesting boxset, although Sony is "sitting on" (to put it as optomistically, generously, and politely as possible0 the prime Cantor films from his Goldwyn years.
Hand down, the best film in the DVD Verdict list is THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN, a comedy-western written by Benton & Newman in the wake of BONNIE AND CLYDE, directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz, with a superb cast (Lee Grant, Kirk Douglas, Henry Fonda, Arthur O'Connell, Hume Cronyn, Burgess Meredith, Arthur O'Connell). Very cynical and fascinating.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I am soooo happy that You're A Big Boy Now is under consideration- I had asked George Feltenstein about this title at the last WB chat this year. Any film directed by Francis Ford Coppola that has actors like Geraldine Page, Karen Black, Rip Torn, Julie Harris, Elizabeth Hartman and Tony Bill with a soundtrack by The Lovin' Spoonful deserves to be released on DVD. It's also very funny, and I wish Coppola had done more comedies.

On the other hand, I'm surprised that the two Greer Garson titles and the Judy Garland film are on the list. Naturally I assumed that they'd be released on their own without the need of a viewer poll. This poll should be restricted to lesser-known titles like the Coppola film, films with more of a cult appeal.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Gymkata!!!

How can you not love a movie where a pommel horse magically appears in a back alley just in time for the gymnast hero to use it to dispatch a gang of thugs?

Wait, don't answer that. :D

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm still waiting for EDGE OF THE CITY to be released from last year's bunch (although it was not a winner, it has yet to receive a video release of any kind and is a really fine character film with John Cassavettes and Sidney Poitier).

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
I've also been waiting with baited breath for the hope that "Edge of the City" would be released sooner rather than later despite its lack of support on last year's vote.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with ANY of the movies on this year's vote so I have no idea which ones are worth supporting and which ones aren't.

I do have faith in WB putting out interesting classic titles even so. I've been more than pleased with their output over the last few years.

Michael

ted:r

Second Unit
Um, I must say I was more than a little...underwhelmed by the list. While for me there were three definites (All Fall Down, There Was A Crooked Man, You're A Big Boy Now) and a few of more than maybes (Madame Curie, Sunrise At Campobello, Blume In Love, Operation Crossbow), the vast majority of the list...The Hand? Made In Heaven? Ok, mebbe I'm being a bit too serious (I don't have a lot of so-bad-its-good type of movies in my collection...I generally just think they're just bad) but I would imagine that the grand WB has better movies than most of these to offer. Maybe those are on the "definite" list and these are just the movies on the cusp who could easily fall one way or the other. (Though I would consider my top 3 as "definites", obviously.)

If the WB releases my three faves, then they can release any of the other 27 I will be deliriously happy. If, on the other hand, my 3 don't make the cut...well, it won't be the first time in my life I've been disappointed. (sniff, sniff.)

ted:r

Second Unit
From the previous DVD decisions, I do long for "Edge of the City", "Party Girl", "Greed", "The Search", "Executive Suite" and "I'll Cry Tomorrow" (I'm assuming "Somebody Up There Likes Me" will be in the Paul Newman box.) I'm hoping there lack of appearance means they are on a definite list. Though, this is the second go round for "Operation Crossbow" and "All Fall Down"

Charles H

Screenwriter
I'd love to see "The Actress" with Spencer Tracy, Jean Simmons (as the young Ruth Gordon), Teresa Wright. and Anthony Perkins released on dvd. It was a candidate on the first dvdDecision but hasn't been mentioned since.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
MIKE'S MURDER is a great film, I hope it makes it to DVD. Too bad James Bridges passed away though. A Commentary would have been great to hear.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'll also toss in a vote for "Operation: Crossbow". Firstly, the movie looks intriguing from what I've seen of it (which isn't much, sadly), and secondly, we could get the bootlegs off the market (Like I was talking about earlier this year).

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Your ad here for 50 dollars.

Corey

Screenwriter

The Actress is going to be in the Spencer Tracy Signature Collection coming out later in the year.

Corey

Screenwriter

If it was never released on VHS, then it will probably be released next year in the promotion that WB is gonna do for films that were NEVER released on home video. Other titles will include Caged, Queen of Outer Space, etc. We may even get When the Lion Roars.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I'm crying already because I know most of the titles I would most want on that list will almost certainly not make the final 10.
CIMARRON
BAND OF ANGELS
APRIL IN PARIS ( I would have thought a Doris Day set#2 would be it's priority)
PRESENTING LILY MARS ( should be on a Garland Set)
BEST FOOT FORWARD
MADAME CURIE ( please give us a Greer Garson Set)
SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO
ANGELS IN THE OUTFIELD
BHOWANI JUNCTION
and the one I would die for,
THE EDDIE CANTOR STORY.
It's been 50 years since I last saw it and even though it is a turkey with one of the biggest and worst casting mistakes of all time, I love the soundtrack and would really welcome it with open arms.
This maybe is it's one and only chance to make it to DVD.
Problem is that most of those voting would never have heard of Eddie Cantor.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
Here's the ten I voted for:

1. The Arrangment
2. Bhowani Junction
3. Carny
4. The Illustrated Man
5. Looker
6. Sphinx
7. Al Capone
8. Gymkata (Sorry, I just had to vote for this.)
9. Angels in the Outfield
10. Get to Know Your Rabbit

Corey

Screenwriter
I voted for:
1. Madame Curie
2. Sunrise at Campobello
3. Best Foot Forward
4. Bhowani Junction
5. Presenting Lily Mars
6. Carny
7. You're A Big Boy Now
8. Angels In the Outfield
9. Not With My Wife, You Don't
10. The Illustrated Man

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I would like to see "ATLANTIS THE LOST CONTINENT", no mention of this title. And "SUMMER PLACE" and "PARRISH", where are they ??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks