WB Dvd DeciSION 2006

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RafaelPires, May 29, 2006.

1. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Second Unit

WB decided to come back with a dvd decion promotion for 2006, teaming, this time, with Amazon.
    Davis dvd has all the details.
    Loved to see some of the titles:

- Madame Curie;
    - Presenting Lily Mars;
    - Best Foot Forward;
    - Angels in the Outfield;
    - April in Paris;
    - The Eddie Cantor Story;
    - Bhowani Junction;
    - Band of Angels

There are 30 titles in the contest.
    This time the 10 winning titles will be released on dvd, in 2 different waves, the first in December and the second in January.

2. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Wow, there sure are some curious later titles, not that I'm complaining...I've been championing Carny and Blume in Love for a long time. I can't believe they made a list like this.

While I've not seen Mike's Murder, I'm familiar with it, though I'd be really surprised if most people (even at HTF, excluding Mark Edward Heuck) remember it, although it does have Debra Winger. I used to see the Joe Jackson soundtrack album a lot in cut-out bins--I believe Jackson's score was significantly replaced by a John Barry score in the actual film.

3. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

My luck...I buy a copy of "Made In Heaven" off eBay last week, and then I read about this.

Well, I know that I'll be casting my votes for "Carny", "Looker", the aforementioned "Made In Heaven", "Mike's Murder", "One Trick Pony" and "Sphinx"...Anything to get more 80s titles on DVD.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

"Gymkata"?

4. Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust Second Unit

Not only wouldn't I vote for a DVD, I might vote to have Gymkata never played on TV again.

5. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Link?

6. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

7. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

i don't really like this way of voting, but i guess it's good that they're doing this dvd decision again. glad to see angels in the outfield, best foot forward, bhowani junction, and band of angels.

8. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Nothing for me, but I'm mainly only waiting for the Bogart B-pictures at this point.

9. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

What I meant was that I was surprised that "Gymkata" was on the list of nominees.

The only way I would vote for that would be if they promised Michael J. Nelson and Joel Hodgson as commentators.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Or maybe Roger Barr of I-Mockery? He did a great article on this movie...Tore it to shreds. He would be a good commentator.

10. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

MIKE'S MURDER is interesting in that, I read it was originally supposed to be shown backwards, a la MEMENTO. But, the film spent years on the shelf, and was re-edited into a more convention structure.

Not a great, or even good movie, but if any early versions of it exist, it might make an interesting DVD.

11. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Lots of wonderful guilty pleasures!! NOT WITH MY WIFE YOU DON'T CIMARRON/ YOU'RE A BIG BOY NOW/ THE ILLUSTRATED MAN/ THE ARRANGEMENT/ BLUME IN LOVE/ BHOWANI JUNCTION.
    Hmmm Wasn't ALL FALL DOWN a candidate from a previous DVD decision?

12. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    A little disappointing for me. The only thing I want is "Presenting Lily Mars" with Judy Garland.

Andy

13. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I only hope they include the SCTV skit "My Bloody Hand!" with THE HAND.

14. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

i only want the classic titles along with you're a big boy now, carny, sphinx, and not with my wife you don't. i wish they had included marie antoinette on the ballot since it's already gotten tons of votes on TCM.

15. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Pleased to see that The Illustrated Man is being considered. My favorite title on the lists. Voted for a few others that sounded interesting, including All Fall Down, Operation Crossbow, You're A Big Boy Now, and Not With My Wife You Don't. Seem to recall that last title being a staple on television.

- Walter.

16. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    If we get 10 votes, I'll have some left over. However, there are some nice surprises on the list.

17. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

I'm glad to see that WB is doing this again, and doing so with Amazon is a great idea, as most of the titles are not 'blockbusters', yet many of them are ones you see constantly on want lists here on this forum. The focus here is decidedly skewed toward more recent films than the previous campaigns.

I know which ones I'm voting for, but I doubt they'll win, as I prefer the older pictures, but I am glad for those who want culty titles like YOU'RE A BIG BOY NOW or GET TO KNOW YOUR RABBIT (early Coppola and DePalma respectively)may now get the chance to own these niche-appeal titles.

18. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

What's the matter here...?!
    No love for Alan Hale Jr, Burgess Meredith, Hank Fonda or Kirk D?
    Hell, if I 'member correct, that's even Princess Ardala herself getting ravaged on the pool table in the opening. One of my favorite westerns of all time, from one of my favorite decades for movies.

From the looks a this crowd though, it's not looking good for early release [​IMG]

19. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

Don't judge what the winning titles will be by reaction here....

This is a forum populated by (mostly...but certainly not always) educated gents and ladies who really know their films, and are devoted enthusiasts.

Amazon, having such a huge reach, may end up with a series of winners that
    may not please HTF folk, but that will sell well.

Meanwhile, the rest of us should fear not, because lest we forget the amazing releases of the WB people that keep diminishing my bank account, taking up more space in my shelving, and making me grateful to their peerless efforts.

Kudos to Amazon for putting a new spin on this clever promotion.

My voting is already completed. [​IMG]

20. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Being a DePalma completist, my heart just skipped a beat when I saw "Get to know your Rabbit" on that list.