What's new

Warner Bros. To *Not* Exit Physical Media Production (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
If you're referring to the article linked in the first post of this thread, Jerry Beck didn't write it.
Several writers got all dipsy doodle on Beck's misreporting on this for whatever reason so does it really matter who wrote this particular one. It's already been confirmed that it's not true, and not only that makes no sense at all. But as always, good clickbait.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My fear is that once everything is only available electronically, it will be easy to remove it if it all of a sudden isn't politically correct. Atleast if you have a physical disc, they can't censor it. I never thought it would come to this in America but when they start going after Pepe LePew and Elmer Fudd what is next?

How has anyone "gone after" those characters?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
My fear is that once everything is only available electronically, it will be easy to remove it if it all of a sudden isn't politically correct. Atleast if you have a physical disc, they can't censor it. I never thought it would come to this in America but when they start going after Pepe LePew and Elmer Fudd what is next?

How has anyone "gone after" those characters?

Pepe Le Pew was cut from Space Jam 2 and won't appear in any other future Looney Tune projects either. Elmer Fudd got his gun revoked in favor for the Grim Reaper's scythe (because that thing isn't any less violent) in HBO Max's Looney Tunes Cartoons shorts.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
they do have another set with Deanna Durbin

1619310688200.png

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I'm slowly trying to accumulate all the non blu ray MOD titles that the Archives distributed of lesser titles (like the Kay Francis movies) before they vanish completely. Most of these titles on Amazon say, "usually ships in 4 or 5 weeks" rather than "in stock". Deep Discount has a few of these older titles in stock.

If you don't mind pricing (usually close to MSRP) and don't want to chance waiting for backordered items or holding your breath on the next potential sale, I'd suggest looking at the Allied Vaughn direct sales website. They often seem to have things when most other websites are empty - since they basic supply Amazon and ALLIANCE Warehouse (Deep Discount, etc)) that isn't unreasonable.

The search/filter isn't great, but pretty good. You can filter by Studio and specifics actors if you are on a narrow search. I couldn't get it to filter all WAC DVDs (maybe too many), but it did filter 22 Kay Francis Warner movies (+ 4 non Warner) and they all say IN STOCK. I only ordered from their site a couple times so I can't vouch for the accuracy of their in-stock notice.

Many international people have used them for a while -- shipping (actual speed after dispatch) is slow, but was at one time extremely cheap relative to most other websites.

And 15 Deanna Durbin Movies mostly from Universal (including the 1 Warner movie mentioned that they both are in)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Pepe Le Pew was cut from Space Jam 2 and won't appear in any other future Looney Tune projects either. Elmer Fudd got his gun revoked in favor for the Grim Reaper's scythe (because that thing isn't any less violent) in HBO Max's Looney Tunes Cartoons shorts.

A scene with Pepe LePew was cut from the new "Space Jam" for reasons and speculation started looming that he got "cancelled."

Sorry, but I don't view a character's absence from a movie as "going after" that character.

I won't opine whether PLP "deserves" to be dropped from the roster of Looney Tunes characters, but I will say that it's not the end of the world if a character becomes deemed inappropriate due to changes in general standards.

There are lots of characters - cartoon and otherwise - who seemed hilarious in earlier years but who now evoke cringes.

They could probably just change PLP to make him less "rapey" but honestly, he's low on the LT roster so I think it's just easier for him to get Le Boot. Wasn't he going to play a small role in the movie anyway?

As for Elmer... well, I also don't see a change in weapon as "going after". I think they're taking away Yosemite Sam's firearm as well.

Is this kinda silly? Yeah, probably, but Elmer and Sam are WB's property and they can alter them as the see fit.

The characters are still in the film and will behave in their typical ways, I guess - they just will be violent via alternate methods.

I really only view characters as being "cancelled" if the rights owners actively try to delete them and make it tough to get hold of the old materials.

I don't get all that worked up because they won't be in a movie!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Deanna Durbin was with Universal wasn't she?. I only seen her with MGM in the short: Every Sunday (1936)..
We watched her grow up in Universal Pictures..
As was mentioned previously, MGM bought the rights to It's a Date so they could remake it as the Jane Powell feature Nancy Goes to Rio.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Sorry, but I don't view a character's absence from a movie as "going after" that character.

I won't opine whether PLP "deserves" to be dropped from the roster of Looney Tunes characters, but I will say that it's not the end of the world if a character becomes deemed inappropriate due to changes in general standards.

There are lots of characters - cartoon and otherwise - who seemed hilarious in earlier years but who now evoke cringes.

They could probably just change PLP to make him less "rapey" but honestly, he's low on the LT roster so I think it's just easier for him to get Le Boot. Wasn't he going to play a small role in the movie anyway?

As for Elmer... well, I also don't see a change in weapon as "going after". I think they're taking away Yosemite Sam's firearm as well.

Is this kinda silly? Yeah, probably, but Elmer and Sam are WB's property and they can alter them as the see fit.

The characters are still in the film and will behave in their typical ways, I guess - they just will be violent via alternate methods.

I really only view characters as being "cancelled" if the rights owners actively try to delete them and make it tough to get hold of the old materials.

I don't get all that worked up because they won't be in a movie!

I'm not sure you get the point of the road we may be going down here along with a lot of other people.

Whether a character gets removed for politically correct motives or any other reason it still should not be done.

You have to allow for freedom of expression. You either have that or you don't.

Most artists are still mere mortals despite the pedestal they themselves or people have placed them on.

They are not all seeing and all knowing and some creative output can be intellectually bankrupt or racist or whatever.

People should be free to choose what they like whether it is "wrong" or not.

Once characters start getting removed from movies it will never stop. I can assure you this will get even more absurd going forward especially as people are just allowing it to happen without too much of a fuss.

I expect many threads in the future on this topic and I for one will be starting some myself.

There are a lot of people in the west especially in America that don't grasp the decline of their countries in relation to economics and culturally and this cancel culture & political correct insanity will go to absurd levels that you won't believe until it happens.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'm not sure you get the point of the road we may be going down here along with a lot of other people.

Whether a character gets removed for politically correct motives or any other reason it still should not be done.

Yes, but not including characters or guns in future productions is a far cry from removing them from existing historical material and erasing them. They haven't done that all. Bothe Pepe and Elmer's gun(s) simply won't be included moving forward. To be honest, it just feels like there's a prevalence of doom and gloom hand-wringing over "what if's" and "slippery slopes" on here lately that's not based on any real, concrete situations. No one has been cancelled, a questionable character just hasn't been renewed. There's a difference.

As regards to Elmer's gun, WB determined they didn't want to "do guns" back when the series went into production in late 2017 and they have that right since they own the properties lock, stock, and barrel (pardon the pun.)

The rules are different for companies and products that are aimed at children and they're not willing to take the risks (sorry "Sunflower" lovers) for a limited audience of adult collectors. Historical cartoons that are prized by adult collectors and can be explained by the "times in which they were made" are one thing, but brand new SPACE JAM and "please show your kids" cartoon series are quite another. I mean, you can be pissed off if it helps but there isn't much else to be done about it.

Last edited:

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Yes, but not including characters or guns in future productions is a far cry from removing them from existing historical material and erasing them. They haven't done that all. Bothe Pepe and Elmer's gun(s) simply won't be included moving forward. To be honest, it just feels like there's a prevalence of doom and gloom hand-wringing over "what if's" and "slippery slopes" on here lately that's not based on any real, concrete situations. No one has been cancelled, a questionable character just hasn't been renewed. There's a difference.

As regards to Elmer's gun, WB determined they didn't want to "do guns" back when the series went into production in late 2017 and they have that right since they own the properties lock, stock, and barrel (pardon the pun.)

The rules are different for companies and products that are aimed at children and they're not willing to take the risks (sorry "Sunflower" lovers) for a limited audience of adult collectors. Historical cartoons that are prized by adult collectors and can be explained by the "times in which they were made" are one thing, but brand new SPACE JAM and "please show your kids" cartoon series are quite another. I mean, you can be pissed off if it helps but there isn't much else to be done about it.

True.

I do think it's a problem that the studios or any company bankrolling a movie to be pandering to any kind of people who may find their material offensive.

It does piss me off but like you say not much can be done about it.

We will have to see how it all develops over time.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The author of the article referenced in post #1 has added the following:
UPDATE: While Warner Bros is not abandoning home video media completely, the amount of Warner Bros films and shows that will be getting physical media releases will be going down as the idea is to develop more interest in HBO Max.

1619336499824.png

1619336835297.png

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
As long as these characters are not deleted from existing media I don't care. Sunflower was removed 60 years ago so it has not existed for a long time. I never saw her and I've been seeing Fantasia for many decades. I'm curious to know if the Pastorale and The Nutcracker have had further edits. Has anybody seen it recently?

Last edited:

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks