What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure you get the point of the road we may be going down here along with a lot of other people.

Whether a character gets removed for politically correct motives or any other reason it still should not be done.

You have to allow for freedom of expression. You either have that or you don't.

Most artists are still mere mortals despite the pedestal they themselves or people have placed them on.

They are not all seeing and all knowing and some creative output can be intellectually bankrupt or racist or whatever.

People should be free to choose what they like whether it is "wrong" or not.

Once characters start getting removed from movies it will never stop. I can assure you this will get even more absurd going forward especially as people are just allowing it to happen without too much of a fuss.

I expect many threads in the future on this topic and I for one will be starting some myself.

There are a lot of people in the west especially in America that don't grasp the decline of their countries in relation to economics and culturally and this cancel culture & political correct insanity will go to absurd levels that you won't believe until it happens.

Standards change over time, and characters change.

Used to be A-OK to make fun of various ethnic groups - now not so much.

Characters have been "getting removed" for decades.

Sorry, I just don't see the fact PLP won't be in the "Space Jam" movie as the end of cultural civilization...

John*Wells

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
As long as they complete Head of the class (1980’s) and Mayberry RFD. I must say however, I think the push to streaming only is a mistake. What happens if ISPs decide to start capping Data use? Eventually, you will have people priced out. Or, people will just get fed up with the constant price increases. Or added fees

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm not sure you get the point of the road we may be going down here along with a lot of other people.

Whether a character gets removed for politically correct motives or any other reason it still should not be done.

You have to allow for freedom of expression. You either have that or you don't.

Most artists are still mere mortals despite the pedestal they themselves or people have placed them on.

They are not all seeing and all knowing and some creative output can be intellectually bankrupt or racist or whatever.

People should be free to choose what they like whether it is "wrong" or not.

Once characters start getting removed from movies it will never stop. I can assure you this will get even more absurd going forward especially as people are just allowing it to happen without too much of a fuss.

I expect many threads in the future on this topic and I for one will be starting some myself.

There are a lot of people in the west especially in America that don't grasp the decline of their countries in relation to economics and culturally and this cancel culture & political correct insanity will go to absurd levels that you won't believe until it happens.

I agree with the crux of your post.

Perhaps ironically, in view of the political and sociological climate these days, the violence of (in particular) early Warner Bros. and MGM cartoons was what made them funny as hell. The extreme physical comedy of Daffy Duck, Bugs vs. Elmer and Yosemite Sam, and the antics of Tom and Jerry were (and remain) simply hilarious, in a Three Stooges kind of way. I suppose the Stooges would be censored now, too. I find all of this a collective victim of ridiculous and self-righteous cancel-culture bullshit. Those were movies that made grown adults laugh...that violent slapstick was cathartic. Very few (if any) people in real life would be wanting to imitate what they saw in these films. God, I hate political correctness!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

Perhaps ironically, in view of the political and sociological climate these days, the violence of (in particular) early Warner Bros. and MGM cartoons was what made them funny as hell. The extreme physical comedy of Daffy Duck, Bugs vs. Elmer and Yosemite Sam, and the antics of Tom and Jerry were (and remain) simply hilarious, in a Three Stooges kind of way. I suppose the Stooges would be censored now, too.

Again, Warner Bros has made it clear that the extreme, over-the-top, fantasy violence in the cartoons is an integral part of the fun and isn't going anywhere. They're just not doing guns in future.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Perhaps ironically, in view of the political and sociological climate these days, the violence of (in particular) early Warner Bros. and MGM cartoons was what made them funny as hell. The extreme physical comedy of Daffy Duck, Bugs vs. Elmer and Yosemite Sam, and the antics of Tom and Jerry were (and remain) simply hilarious, in a Three Stooges kind of way. I suppose the Stooges would be censored now, too. I find all of this a collective victim of ridiculous and self-righteous cancel-culture bullshit. Those were movies that made grown adults laugh...that violent slapstick was cathartic. Very few (if any) people in real life would be wanting to imitate what they saw in these films. God, I hate political correctness!
You're complaining about something that hasn't happened.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

You know that violent "comedy" videos are huge business these days online, and that no one is trying to ban physical comedy, right?

You know there's plenty of room for physical comedy that doesn't involve guns, right?

You know that WB never said they'd turn Looney Tunes into Marge Simpson's version of "Itchy and Scratchy", right?

You know you're arguing against "issues" that don't exist, right?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
The whole premise of this thread is wrong because Warner isn't getting out of the physical media production business so I'm locking this thread down. Furthermore, we're not going down that road to political correctness and cancel culture. You want to talk about those political topics, this non-political forum isn't the place to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merrickw