What's new

Warner Bros. Alert: Kiss Me Kate replacement DVDs - All owners Read (1 Viewer)

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Received my second Kiss Me Kate DVD today from Warner. It appears to be the corrected version this time since it includes the 3D feature. I also have a DVD with a slightly different numbering compared to earlier reports on the discs inner ring (example below). Anyways thanks to Warner for finally getting it right after two attempts.

7Y 65088V2.1.B VB04

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I got the corrected disc on my first try. I don't know if the way I did it had anything to do with it -- I taped a piece of paper to the DVD I sent back to Warners with a note asking them to "PLS. MAKE SURE TO REPLACE THIS DISC WITH THE REFRAMED VERSION THAT INCLUDES THE 3-D FOOTAGE IN THE EXTRAS."

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
To be honest, while this thread is necessarily about the returning of the new version to those of us who bought the first version, what has not been addressed is whether the new version can be purchased directly - is Warner Home Video just going to keep selling a version which they now themselves admit is, at best, incomplete, or is there any chance for people to just go out and buy the new version?

Obviously, if there is no answer forthcoming from WHV, then there isn't much to be said, but I would have thought that this was the most pressing issue really and i for one would love to see it addressed positively.

I have no wish to be polemical however - for me they are without doubt the studio that has done the most to support classic movies on DVD (despite the snappers) and for the most part their quality control has been exemplary - I would just like to be able to go out and actually buy the corrected version of KISS ME KATE, that's all.

Sergio

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator

I don't know, but I would think that the "new" transfer will slowly work it's way into the distribution channel. Since there is no external marking that you can see at retail (or mail order) there will be no way to tell.

The question really is whether KMK is a big enough seller to warrant a repressing at some point. If its included in some future box set, I'd bet the new version would be used.

But to clear out the entire distribution channel and replace it is something I don't think will happen. Warners was thoughtful to address the problem, find a solution and take care of it for those concerned. This is much like the automobile industry with their service items (not recalls) and certain updates and fixes that are applied by electronics companies when a unit comes in for repair and are applied or fixed at no charge. They don't go out and advertise for them, but they fix them when they appear.

I rememeber a quote from Updike in "Printing Types" about book corrections where you have to check a certain first edition for an errata on page such and such where he said "these are the things that drive publishers crazy and inspire collectors".

You've got a collectible.

John

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Personally, I think it's easier in the long run to just buy it and have it replaced by the studio than to wait around for corrected ones to show up in stores.

I remember people waiting on the Back to the Future set because of the framing problems on 2 and 3. But it takes months, and there is the uncertainty of if and when they will show up at your retailer and how you'll be able to tell. Although purchasing something you know to be defective goes against the grain I think it may actually be the best path.

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
"Personally, I think it's easier in the long run to just buy it and have it replaced by the studio than to wait around for corrected ones to show up in stores."

_____

Normally I'd agree with you - but I live in the UK and I can't imagine WHV is going to send a replacement all the way here - I can only hope that when KISS ME KATE is released over here as a Region 2 disc (sooner or later), it will be the corrected version that is made available - so far only HIGH SOCIETY has been released on Region 2 from the Cole Porter collection.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
Just as I was reading this, the postman dropped the corrected version down my mail slot. I haven't watched the movie, but the disc does contain the 3D footage.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
My corrected version came in Saturday's mail. Thank you Warner Bros.!

This correct version of Kiss Me Kate, looks to me like it didn't get to go through the restoration process that the first dvd version went through. It must be a very costly process to digitally clean up and make smooth light and color corrections to any film that is this old.

Was I so busy looking at the scenes not being centered correctly in the last disc that I ignored the condition of the movie, or did the first movie look almost in a pristine state?

This version shows some grain and wear (scratches/dirt) that I don't remember seeing on the first disc. At times the background goes lighter and then darker, almost like a flicker.

Still, I'm extremely happy to have this copy.

Paul

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Paul Linfesty wrote:Just looked at the "Too Darn Hot" number scene on the new disc, and you are right about less grain level, at least in that scene. What I did notice is the tint of the skin tones changing and the color gain going up and down. This would be a more accurate description than what I said earlier about (the background going lighter and then darker, almost like a flicker).

I'm tempted to buy the first disc again for comparison purposes.

Paul

Mark Fontana

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I received a corrected copy today on the second try :). They sent me the same broken snapper case that I received as the first replacement with just the disc swapped out this time. I was hoping to get a new snapper case too (since the FIRST one I sent in was not broken), but you can't have everything, I guess... Anyway, the new transfer is opened up noticeably and looks good. Thanks WB!

RafaelB

Second Unit
I got mine last night as well! (I was a little scared that I wouldn't b/c I completely forgot to send my mailing info back with the prepaid envelope and DVD (oops). But the 3D footage's there and it's next in my cue to watch. I can't wait!

Rafael.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
Ah ha! Thanks for the link. So you can see all of Keenan Wynn in that scene which takes place in Kathryn Grayson's dressing room. I knew something was wrong when the old transfer cut his head off!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Based on the positive reports of a proper exchange this time, I sent mine in again last week. Today the new one arrived, and it's correct. :emoji_thumbsup:

Now I can close the book on this issue. Thanks, Warner. It wasn't as easy as it could have been, but in the end you got it right.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
My corrected copy arrived over the weekend. It took a while longer than expected (probably due to being on the East Coast), but I'm very pleased that Warner offered and followed through on their replacement plan.

-greg

RafaelB

Second Unit
I finally watched this over the weekend was was pleasantly surprised at how fun a movie it was. Obviously filmed for 3D, with the "throwing-things-toward-the-camera" all the time, it had some wonderful choreography and a treat to actually see Fosse strut his stuff, as it were, before he revolutionized dance.

:D

Rafael.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I got my replacement DVD today. It's great!

Here's something fun to try: Kiss Me Kate was shot to take advantage of both 3D and widescreen.

On my plasma "zoom" setting, I can see the very center of the image, a widescreen ratio of 1.77:1, which fills my 16:9 image area.

Normally, this would cut off a lot of heads and feet (on a 4:3 movie).

But this one was shot on purpose to be OK at this ratio. It really works fine! now that the disk has been remastered properly.

Try it and see!

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
This was incredible. I sent my DVD out in the pre-paid mailer from Long Island on Monday, May 10th. I received the corrected replacement on Friday, May 14th. I'm happy to say it looks fine. The additional 3D supplement is a nice addition as well. Thanks Warner Home Video!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks