What's new

Warner Bros. Alert: Kiss Me Kate replacement DVDs - All owners Read (1 Viewer)

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
As this thread has been dormant a few months, does anyone know whether on line retailers such as DVD Pacific or Amazon are selling the corrected version of Kiss Me Kate? Or were there so many copies made of the first run that it will be some time before the replacements filter through? I don't want to buy the film as a replacement for me in the UK is difficult.
Also is the corrected version of Pillow Talk in the market place yet or is the original version still on sale?

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
As a UK resident I would also like to know if anyone has any news on this as it doesn't look like the film is going to be getting a Region 2 release any time soon.

Sergio

Bruce_Hauge

Auditioning
I don't know if this will help any of our UK friends, but I just received a copy from the Columbia House DVD Club, and (to my surprise!) it was the new version. I had already requested a mailer before receiving my order since I assumed that they would have the older version in their stock.

Pasquale_R

Auditioning
Hi everyboy!

I am Italian, living in France and this is the first message I post to this forum.
I am great fan of MGM musicals and I'm very interested in the Cole Porter Gift Set. I wanted to know if somebody owns it and knows exactly which version of Kiss me Kate is included in the boxset (the wrong one or the disc with the corrected framing and the extra 3D feature).

Thanks for your help

Pasquale

DaveK

Second Unit
After a month of calling Sherri Bogard, I finally got my replacement copy of Kiss Me Kate, which contains the 3-D supplement.

When I watch the movie on my dvd players and televisions, I'm still a little dissappointed. Although I could see a little more at the top, a lot of the picture is still missing from the left side. I still see heads and bodies cut off. The opening is not windowboxed either. The VOB files are dated 10/16/2003.

When I watch the movie on my computer, the picture is perfect; you can see everything (just like the pics in DVD Beaver). The only problem is you can't hear any dialogue, the MGM lion roar or Ann Miller's taps. I guess that's the stereo track.

Does anyone have the same problem with their new DVD?

Please advise

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I received my replacement disc months ago with no problem.
I found it to be framed perfectly, just as I saw it recently projected in 3-D.

All TVs and DVD players overscan differently, so perhaps that may be an issue for DaveK.

DaveK

Second Unit
Is it the disc itself, or do I have to somehow program my DVD players to view this DVD in its full-frame?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Don't know if this will help the posters from the UK or France, but I bought the Cole Porter Gift Set about 6 weeks ago, and it had the old, mis-framed version. I also have received no response yet from WB for a mailer to return it for exchange. Oh well.

Pasquale_R

Auditioning
Thank to the listers that posted an answer!

In the meantime, I ordered my boxset and, luckily enough, it included a "Kiss me Kate" DVD with the correct aspect ratio! :)

TedD

Supporting Actor
The aspect ratio of the DVD was never incorrect! It was just horribly zoomed in and cropped on all 4 sides. There is no way you can look at just the aspect ratio of the DVD and know whether or not you have the corrected version.

Instead, look for the supplement with the footage of the 3D sections that was removed from the feature.

Ted

Pasquale_R

Auditioning
Sorry, my mistake! I should have said framing.
The 3d supplement is there... it's first thing I checked, following the information given in the forum.

Pasquale

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
Ditto.

I give them credit for re-doing the DVD, but what's the point if they then ignore some of us and we can't get the replacement?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Is there any way to tell from the packaging if a disc is the corrected or un-corrected version? Is the 3D supplement listed on the corrected disc package?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
You can't tell until you open the disc. It took Warner three tries in sending me a replacement before I got the corrected version.

I don't really understand why they edited the little 30 second montage of 3-D gimmicks out of the flat prints. I mean, the rest of the film is full of 3-D gimmick shots anyway, even in the flat version. I guess because that little string was all so close together?

They edited those scenes back into the print that has been screened at a couple of 3-D festivals in the past year or two, and they're pretty cool when seen on the big screen in all their stereoscopic glory.

DaveK

Second Unit
Well folks, I called Sherri today and I told her my problem

She told me that she sent me the right DVD which she did, and there's nothing she can do about the problem.

Please this is torture. I shouldn't resort to watching my movie on my laptop.
HELP!!!!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Based on your description, and of course not knowing anything about your setup - my first impression is that you need to have the overscan checked and adjusted on your display. If you have the Avia A/V Calibration disc you can find an overscan test pattern on it that will show you how much of the image signal is not being displayed on each boundary of your display.

- Walter.

DaveK

Second Unit

Walter I'll probably have to order it online.
I just think it's odd that this one DVD (out of the 180-200 discs I own) is a problem, and its the same problem with all the DVD players in my house.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I was wondering if there was any additional news on the replacements. I received the Cole Porter set for Christmas '04, and it contained the original KMK.

I sent emails to the address at the top of this forum on 1/5/05, and again on 2/2/05. I haven't heard anything, even so much that my emails were received.

Is there another avenue I should explore? should I snail-mail to the address listed? Should I just keep waiting?

I would appreciate any helpful hints.

Thanks
new member David Weicker

m.cellophane

Agent
Real Name
James
I ordered the Cole Porter set from Deep Discount on 6/20. They were out of stock and I just received it today. I have the original KMK. So (1) I'll be starting the process now to get the replacement disc and (2) folks should know that the original discs are still out there...even when an e-tailer is receiving new stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks