What's new

Overwhelming Majority: South Park On DVD Themed Sets Must Stop (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I was buying all the South Parks till this themed release thing started.

Sadly it seems to have affected my South Park viewing on Comedy Central too. What a waste.

I held out on Friends for the better and I intend to hold out on SP. The minute the next seasons come out in proper ordering I will snag them all up.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I don't have an e-mail, nor do I think writing them will result in a verification. I *DO* have the phone # for someone in their publicity dept., but I don't think they will know anything yet, or willing to admit it right now.
You see, they have one more unreleased best-of disc to throw at us (in addition to the 6/4 release of Insult to Injury): that title is Ghouls, Ghosts and Underpants Gnomes. Now, if the news is true, it is possible that this last best-of disc will NEVER see the light of day, but instead be replaced with the sets.
OTOH, if they've gone far enough with production to pick out the title and pre-announce it and so forth (Gord mentioned to me it was coming, but it hasn't made it to the release list at TVShowsOnDVD.com yet because no release date's been given), then that means they probably want to put it out and see some investment-return on it before they go to the season sets.
If that's true, then they will keep the season sets info VERY quiet until they get their profit on the best-of's. They don't want a repeat of the B5 VHS debacle, or of the situation with The Best Of Friends. :)
Therefore, I expect that this is all the "official" info we get until, say, August-ish.
Again, assuming it is even true!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
. :)
I don't think that is their concern. Rather, I think poor sales of the "Best of" sets is what is driving the new thinking at Warner Home Video. Most of the fans who want season sets (and who keep up with news on the 'net) stopped buying the "Best of" sets a long time ago. The folks who are still buying them either don't know what full-season sets are or don't care. So announcing full seasons is unlikely to significantly reduce sales for the last two "Best of"s. The two releases are aimed at fundamentally different market segments. If WHV can make a profit from the "Best of" sets at current sales levels, they'll be released. If not, not.
Regards,
Joe

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
What's so odd about the "best of" notion is that casual viewers not interested in the entire series would be just as likely to buy a random DVD out of the collection as they would one labeled "christmas in south park"

As long as discs are packaged for individual sale, releasing the series in order serves the entire customer base.

-dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks