What's new

Warner Archives in 2014? Take A Shot! (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Some remarkably candid answers from Warner Archive on Facebook the last couple days on the status of a couple other B/W series.

"Mr. Novak"-They say they have finished going through it to see if any episodes present music clearance problems, and they report four episodes need to be cleared and there would have to be a remastering. So no chance of this appearing in 2014.

"The Islanders"-One episode with music issues and also needs remastering because the current masters are described as poor.

Earlier they reported that "The Eleventh Hour" is completely cleared but needs remastering so we're closer to seeing that than the other two.

Also "McClain's Law", the 1981 cop series with James Arness is now up on Warner streaming, which means we'll likely see a DVD of that eventually.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
When I asked them if Daktari #3 is coming up soon, they said yes. Unfortunately, they also told another guy nothing new On Alice #5.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Randy Korstick said:
No one knows what they will release next but I would bet on a new series next before another continuation since they have already done several continuation releases this year. We are due for a new one.
Beyond Westworld would certainly be an easy "one and done" release. As this has seen airplay in the '90s, a modern tape master already exists. Hey, if Man From Atlantis can get the nod, this turkey certainly can!

Personally, I wish they'd revisit the 1978 Captain Nemo and release it in its original 3-hour format (3 x 1 hour episodes), which was titled The Return of Captain Nemo, rather than the edited-down movie version (The Amazing Captain Nemo) we have now. The existing disc is missing around 45 minutes of footage that was in the original TV mini-series presentation.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
If Temple Houston is ever going to have a release on DVD, a music clearance issue could stand in the way, for the theme is "The Yellow Rose of Texas". incidentally, the Yellow Rose series also had the same theme, a country song by Johnny Lee and Lane Brody, so that would be a sticking point, too!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
oldtvshowbuff said:
If Temple Houston is ever going to have a release on DVD, a music clearance issue could stand in the way, for the theme is "The Yellow Rose of Texas". incidentally, the Yellow Rose series also had the same theme, a country song by Johnny Lee and Lane Brody, so that would be a sticking point, too!
One of the first 45's I bought as a kid! :D

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
THE BOWERY BOYS, VOLUME 4

While its upcoming release has actually been guaranteed by the Warner Archive (This is even indicated within the Volume 3 liner notes!), this is one that I'm anxious for, so that I can then view all 48 Bowery Boys Features in their original theatrical release order. This isn't a complaint regarding what I view as the necessary non consecutive, consecutive fashion in which the WA has issued these Volumes, but simply a stated preference on my part.

Hopefully, the remaining Bowery Boys titles that were still in need of restoration completion at the time of Volume 3's release will soon be ready (If they aren't already!), and that the 4th and final Bowery Boys Volume might be ready for a Spring release.

CHEERS!

Tony

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The last post should be in a Warner Archive thread about theatrical material, not TV shows.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Jack P said:
The last post should be in a Warner Archive thread about theatrical material, not TV shows.
Hi Jack P!

No disrespect intended, but the "Warner Archives in 2014? Take A Shot!" thread name makes no specific mention of listing television shows only, nor does the initial post.

Therefore, though the posts have focused on television programs, some of which actually strayed away from the Warner Archive into CBS territory (All of which I still find very interesting, by the way!), it is my honest opinion that my mention of Warner Archive theatrical material isn't out of line for this topic. Of course, you and other posters can feel free to disagree or agree regarding my opinion of this.

CHEERS!

Tony

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
This is the TV section of HTF. That's the only reason I made the point. Yes, we sometimes go off to what other studios are doing for TV releases but that's still in keeping with the general section of this part of HTF. Not meant as a value comment on your post information wise, but there are Warner Archive threads in the movie section more appropriate for that, that's all.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Jack P said:
This is the TV section of HTF. That's the only reason I made the point. Yes, we sometimes go off to what other studios are doing for TV releases but that's still in keeping with the general section of this part of HTF. Not meant as a value comment on your post information wise, but there are Warner Archive threads in the movie section more appropriate for that, that's all.
Fair enough, Jack. I stand corrected!

CHEERS!

Tony

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Jack P said:
Some remarkably candid answers from Warner Archive on Facebook the last couple days on the status of a couple other B/W series.

"Mr. Novak"-They say they have finished going through it to see if any episodes present music clearance problems, and they report four episodes need to be cleared and there would have to be a remastering. So no chance of this appearing in 2014.

"The Islanders"-One episode with music issues and also needs remastering because the current masters are described as poor.

Earlier they reported that "The Eleventh Hour" is completely cleared but needs remastering so we're closer to seeing that than the other two.

Also "McClain's Law", the 1981 cop series with James Arness is now up on Warner streaming, which means we'll likely see a DVD of that eventually.
McClain's Law would be nice. How about the 1974 Clint Walker show Kodiak? Is there any chance that Warners will release it on DVD? Could someone please ask them about Kodiak? Thanks!

Robert

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
my guess for next week: One of the following.Medical Center 4Spencer for Hirethe Jetsons season 3Any other guesstimates?James

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
JamesSmith said:
my guess for next week: One of the following.Medical Center 4Spencer for Hirethe Jetsons season 3Any other guesstimates?James
Astronomical Long Shots - Hot Wheels and Skyhawks :biggrin: :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
JamesSmith said:
Medical Center 4 or Daktari 3

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:

I don't understand why they feel the MGM shows need remastering. They already were beautifully remastered by Ted Turner when he bought the library in the 80s. When Novak ran on TNT it looked gorgeous as did any of the other MGM shows that they ran. Besides, didn't Warner say when they started this program that they would use the available elements? If that's so, why not do so, especially on shows where the available transfers already look great?

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I'd expect to see a real slowdown the rest of the year since about 75% of the shows people inquire about (mostly one season dramas), they answer that there are clearance problems, they are looking into it, needremastering.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Neil Brock said:
I don't understand why they feel the MGM shows need remastering. They already were beautifully remastered by Ted Turner when he bought the library in the 80s. When Novak ran on TNT it looked gorgeous as did any of the other MGM shows that they ran. Besides, didn't Warner say when they started this program that they would use the available elements? If that's so, why not do so, especially on shows where the available transfers already look great?
Maybe because technology has improved since the 80's, and so just maybe they could look a whole lot better now with a new remastering effort as they are played back on much larger displays wih higher resolution today. I think its great that they continue to try and improve the releases first, even if it takes longer to get them out. As long as the notion doesn't completely prevent the title from being released at all.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I don't see a slow down this year on their TV releases until the end of November which is when they always slow down. They have so many shows they can release and many that they have been working on clearance issues for the past 2-3 years so you never know one month its cleared and then two months later its released. There are several shows only on streaming right now that could be released on DVD at anytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks