What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Waterloo Bridge (1940) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
This is a remake of a pre code Universal film where things were much more explicit. Too bad they didn’t Include both versions. I believe the original version is owned br Warner Bros as MGM bought the film when they obtained remake rights.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is a remake of a pre code Universal film where things were much more explicit. Too bad they didn’t Include both versions. I believe the original version is owned br Warner Bros as MGM bought the film when they obtained remake rights.
Understood, but I prefer this film version as I seriously doubt Warner would invest a bunch of money making the original look good enough for a BD release. Perhaps, in 480p.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Understood, but I prefer this film version as I seriously doubt Warner would invest a bunch of money making the original look good enough for a BD release. Perhaps, in 480p.
I guess they wouldn't consider this film story the same way the are thinking of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, both the 1930's and 1940's versions of this story may be future archive releases though not a double feature. I think it is depending on what elements turn up per that question and answer Warner Archive podcast.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
This was her favorite of all her films. Day one for me.
I remember reading this was Robert Taylor's favorite among his films. She wanted Laurence Olivier to play Taylor's part. Olivier wanted Leigh for "Rebecca". At that time of their lives they just wanted to work together.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
I remember reading this was Robert Taylor's favorite among his films. She wanted Laurence Olivier to play Taylor's part. Olivier wanted Leigh for "Rebecca". At that time of their lives they just wanted to work together.
Very true. Leigh warmed to the situation once filming began. Olivier was at least on the same lot and they used their proximity to plan a stage version of Romeo and Juliet.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Olivier was at least on the same lot and they used their proximity to plan a stage version of Romeo and Juliet.

Which, after a tour that included an enthusiastic reception in San Francisco and a less enthusiastic one in Chicago, was a complete critical disaster when it opened in New York on May 9, 1940 (36 performances) and prompted one of my favorite Noel Coward quips. When Leigh and Olivier arrived at Coward's party for British War Relief at the Music Hall, Coward greeted them with "My darlings, how BRAVE of you to come!" :oops:

In any event, Vivien was chosen as "Broadway's First Lady" by the Broadway Association on June 1st because she could be seen on four Broadway marquees simultaneously, ROMEO AND JULIET at the 51st Street (Hollywood), GONE WITH THE WIND at the Astor, WATERLOO BRIDGE at the Capitol and 21 DAYS TOGETHER (finally released in the US) at the RIVOLI.

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
The 1931 Pre-Code Waterloo Bridge, with Mae Clark and Douglass Montgomery (and Bette Davis in a small role, one of her first), was on the Forbidden Hollywood Collection Volume One from Warners. Looking on Amazon, I see it's very expensive for new copies, but is very affordable in used copies. (I also see that I bought it from Amazon on October 8, 2006!)

It does not appear to have been released in a stand-alone disc. But the set also includes Red Headed Woman (Jean Harlow) and Baby Face (both released version and pre-release, less censored version, with Barbara Stanwyck). So, it's well worth getting. One quirk, at least on some copies (like mine), is that the discs are mis-labeled. The Baby Face disc has the other two movies, and vice-versa.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks