Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
51C8eWaJInL.jpg

NEW 2020 1080p master from 4K scan from best surviving preservation elements!
WATERLOO BRIDGE (1940)
Run Time 109:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English, MONO - English
Aspect Ratio 1.37:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color BLACK & WHITE
Disc Configuration BD 50
Includes Theatrical Trailer (HD) and Screen Director’s Playhouse Radio Program with Norma Shearer and Mervyn LeRoy (audio only).

Myra and Roy meet and fall in love on Waterloo Bridge during an air raid. Their love will be one of the war’s unspoken casualties. Heartbroken after Roy is reportedly killed in action, Myra turns to prostitution to make her way. The report, however, is false. Roy later returns from a POW camp, eager to begin life anew with his beloved. But Myra’s shattered spirit may no longer hold any room for happiness. Vivien Leigh plays Myra, at once winning and breaking viewers’ hearts in this exquisite melodrama. In a compassionate performance that was his all-time favorite, Robert Taylor is gallant Roy. Under Mervyn LeRoy’s astute direction, they make Waterloo Bridge a meeting place for lovers.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, this and Sergeant York should keep the "nothing for me this month" and "why are they releasing this when classics like XYZ are gathering dust in their vaults" crowd happy ..... this month anyway :D Definitely in for this one (along with Opposite Sex, Reversal Of Fortune, Sunset At Campobello and Drop Dead Gorgeous).

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard M S and PMF

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Well, this and Sergeant York should keep the "nothing for me this month" and "why are they releasing this when classics like XYZ are gathering dust in their vaults" crowd happy ..... this month anyway :D Definitely in for this one (along with Opposite Sex, Reversal Of Fortune and Drop Dead Gorgeous).
Opposite Sex is not releasing this month. It was an error.

Richard M S

Supporting Actor
Ok, in a year of exciting announcements from the Warner Archive this is the most exciting release for me. I re-watched this a few months ago, both Robert Taylor and Vivien Leigh are at the very top of their game here. The score, the cinematography, the direction are all superb. This is an exquisite gem and should look amazing on bluray.

In regard to the main extra, I'm also very curious to hear Norma Shearer's version!

Reactions: PMF

Richard M S

Supporting Actor
Includes Theatrical Trailer (HD) and Screen Director’s Playhouse Radio Program with Norma Shearer and Mervyn LeRoy (audio only).
[/QUOTE]

Image may contain: 2 people

NEW 2020 1080p master from 4K scan from best surviving preservation elements!
WATERLOO BRIDGE (1940)

Includes Theatrical Trailer (HD) and Screen Director’s Playhouse Radio Program with Norma Shearer and Mervyn LeRoy (audio only)
One question - Did Mervyn LeRoy appear on the radio program? Who played the Robert Taylor role ?

• Insightful

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]and "why are they releasing this when classics like XYZ are gathering dust in their vaults" [...]
I had no idea that X, Y and Zee was a classic.:rolleyes:

BTW, Waterloo Bridge is a new one to me;
but if Thomas T is buying a copy, then I can trust that enough to indulge a blind buy. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The first WB DVD Ive upgraded in months, since Dodsworth ! :) It isnt the highest on my wishlist but Im happy all the same !

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
. . . . Waterloo Bridge is a new one to me;
but if Thomas T is buying a copy, then I can trust that enough to indulge a blind buy. :thumbs-up-smiley:
I'm not a big fan of this film but it does have one scene which is a classic. It's the restaurant scene when they turn off the lights one by one. I'm buying this disc for that one sequence.

Glenn C.

Grip
Real Name
Glenn
Well, this and Sergeant York should keep the "nothing for me this month" and "why are they releasing this when classics like XYZ are gathering dust in their vaults" crowd happy ..... this month anyway :D Definitely in for this one (along with Opposite Sex, Reversal Of Fortune and Drop Dead Gorgeous).
I seriously doubt that.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I would imagine Mervyn LeRoy's involvement in the radio program would be limited to introducing the radio adaption.
Mervyn LeRoy is introduced by Norma after the play. The radio play is from September 1951. I didn't know Norma Shearer acted after she retired from films. She is the only actor credited in the play. Here is the radio version for anyone who doesn't want to wait for the blu ray.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great movie watched this a lot back in the 80's and 90's haven't seen it since. looking forward to revisiting this on blu ray. One of the saddest movies I have seen.

Reactions: benbess

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
One of my all time favorites! And I didn't expect it to be released on Bluray as the dvd master was in such a rough shape. If I am not nistaken, there was some talk at the time on how difficult it was to produce a passable dvd transfer due to the poor condition of film elements. Therefore it is a wonderful surprise to read this announcement! Cannot wait to see how beautiful the transfer will be after the WAC master treatment! Day one for me.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
One of my all time favorites! And I didn't expect it to be released on Bluray as the dvd master was in such a rough shape. If I am not mistaken, there was some talk at the time on how difficult it was to produce a passable dvd transfer due to the poor condition of film elements. Therefore it is a wonderful surprise to read this announcement! Cannot wait to see how beautiful the transfer will be after the WAC master treatment! Day one for me.
I am sure what you read was true as the description says "4K scan from best surviving preservation elements!" meaning the original negative is most likely gone and this transfer is probably from several sources. Its wonderful that tools exist to produce a quality release from less than pristine sources.

Reactions: Richard M S

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chsblr