What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (2 Viewers)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Since I have not heard it mentioned on these forums, I found HOUSE ACROSS THE BAY to be a strange inclusion to the Warner's "Vault" Collection. It is not pressed unlike the Universal Discs have been. It does include all of the standard extra features that the Universal and RKO sets contain. However, there has not been another non-Archive release with the Westchester Films Inc. logo.

The picture quality is pretty below par compared to most Archive releases, though its most likely because WB does not own the original negative, since it was a Walter Wanger production.

If there is another release, hopefully it has a better print on hand.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I wonder what happened to dark of the sun? It was supposed to be released a few years back as a pressed disc.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Originally Posted by RafaelPires
Actually it is not a Warner Vault, but TCM Vault Cillection. And Sundown (starring Gene Tierney) is next.
Oh, thanks for the clarification. Wasn't sure what to call it, since I didn't know if there was an ongoing series of these films. Thanks for the confirmation though. Took forward to more films coming out. Once I get it, I'll start a new thread if there already isn't one for these releases.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Lou Lumenick's New York Post column of 7/13 reveals the Warner Archive titles for July 20...

Westerns
"Devil's Doorway'' (1950)
"The Half Breed'' (1952)
"The Wild North'' (1952)

Musicals
"Excuse My Dust'' (1951)
"If You Knew Susie'' (1948)
"Lovely to Look At'' (1952)
"Two Sisters From Boston'' (1946)

William Haines

"The Girl Said No'' (1930)
"Are You Listening?'' (1932)
"Fast Life'' (1932)

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
William Haines is certainly getting a lot of well-deserved attention from the WA. I have been wanting to see "Are you Listening?" for quite some time. Hopefully someday they will release the rest of talkies like "A Tailor Made Man" and "Just a Gigalo" (probably my favorite Haines film)

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I had thought LOVELY TO LOOK AT would be in a future Musicals (pressed DVD) Collection but I guess that is not forthcoming.

Still after not buying anything from the Archives all year, between the Lana Turner films and this latest bunch I will have a lot to purchase if they send me a birthday discount code in September 2010. (But truth be told, I still have not watched some of the Archive films I got last year.)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Besides the Westerns, I will be looking forward to If You Knew Suzie. Wish they would have double featured it with Show Business. That would have made sense.

I also glad for any Red Skelton titles.

montag

Agent
Real Name
patrick
Checked out Amazon, 2&3 discs versions of CASABLANCA & THE MALTESE FALCON go for about $25 each title. These are remastered discs, pressed and lots of extras. Now we have a "remastered" disc of BACKGROUND TO DANGER, a good 3-star George Raft film, selling for the same price. However there's no extras and its a burnt disc. If were talking remastering then do it the right way--pressed discs. Instead of spend-ing the money to release the same titles over and over again, why doesn't Warner spend that money remastering their Archive titles to pressed discs. Think about , it makes sense.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
DEVIL'S DOORWAY is at the top of my list. Yet another Mann film to enjoy after yesterday's release of DESERATE in the Noir set. Those Haines pre-codes also look very interesting.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by montag
Checked out Amazon, 2&3 discs versions of CASABLANCA & THE MALTESE FALCON go for about $25 each title. These are remastered discs, pressed and lots of extras. Now we have a "remastered" disc of BACKGROUND TO DANGER, a good 3-star George Raft film, selling for the same price. However there's no extras and its a burnt disc. If were talking remastering then do it the right way--pressed discs. Instead of spend-ing the money to release the same titles over and over again, why doesn't Warner spend that money remastering their Archive titles to pressed discs. Think about , it makes sense.
I think a lot has to do with how well the titles sell. The more discs that are sold the more you can lower the cost to make expenses and a profit. I looking forward to seeing Background To Danger, and will order when coupon works or goes on sale, but I doubt the title would sell a fifth of what Casablanca or Maltese Falcon would or did. The same goes for most the the titles in the WA collection.

Not defending WA's choice of price points for the "remastered" titles, but they can't lose money on the release either.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I wish WB would lower the prices of the Archive titles. But until they do i will also continue to wait for sales and coupons to get vthe titles i want .

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by borisfw
I wish WB would lower the prices of the Archive titles. But until they do i will also continue to wait for sales and coupons to get vthe titles i want .
Just wait until December when they will probably have a 10 for $100 including free shipping deal.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by montag
Not only will Casablanca's 5th release sell 1000x more copies than your average archive release, these deluxe sets came out 3-6 years ago. 2010 is just not 2002-2007 in DVD land.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks