1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Tom St Jones

Tom St Jones Supporting Actor

Thomas
    Where is "OH GOD!"? They missed the 40th anniversary last year (not that this necessarily stops them from still releasing a belated anniv edition). Does anyone have any info on the state of the elements, if maybe they're not in good enough shape to allow an HD/Bluray release at this time? The movie was extremely popular in its day, and I understand elements, in addition to normal deterioration, can suffer from overuse (production of too many prints) to the point of being infeasible for HD transfer without major restorative work/ cleanup.

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Great question. I'd love to upgrade my DVD.

3. ponset

ponset Second Unit

scott
    Please to see the Archive release "Love and Learn" with Jack Carson.
    Always appreciate that Carson usually did well doing a variety of different things.
    Singing, dancing, comedy, and drama. Carson was able to all them well enough to entertain me.

Gary16, JoelA and Blimpoy06 like this.
  4. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    I was reading about the works of director Burt Kennedy today and thought the 1965 film "The Money Trap" with Glen Ford would be a good blind buy. The film was made available on MOD by Warner Archive in 2009. It's no longer listed on the Warner site or in stock anywhere else. How can MOD disc go out of print? I thought the whole point was to keep them available with MOD. Is this happening to a lot of titles and I'm just unaware of it? How widespread of a loss has there been in availability for these films?

5. Astairefan

Astairefan Stunt Coordinator

Neil Powell
    What *COULD* have happened is, they either lost the rights, or they might have licensed it out (I though, for example, that WAC had released The Breaking Point on dvd, but it seems to have disappeared when Criterion licensed the blu/dvd rights for it)

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  6. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    It shows as a MGM release. I woulnd't think they would have lost the rights.

7. Astairefan

Neil Powell
    Well, like I say, it was one of several reasons why something might have gone OOP. A third option that I forgot about, since it was made available in 2009, is that they have sometimes pulled some of their earliest releases when they plan to re-release them remastered (since their earliest releases were just put on disc without any work done).

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  8. rdimucci

rdimucci Stunt Coordinator

Robert DiMucci
    At the time of its release DVD Beaver reported that although the transfer was 16x9 enhanced, the image was interlaced and not progressive. Perhaps they plan to correct that.

9. JoelA

JoelA Cinematographer

Joel Arndt
    https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-sale?page=1

Ok, this has to be the most pathetic one-day sale the Archive has ever had. Not for the reason of celebrating International Women's Day which is a great thing, but 25 releases???!!! And I say "releases", not "titles" because there are double dips between Blu-rays and DVDs of actual titles. The individual title count is only 20 films!!!! So, out of the couple of thousand films the Archive has released with so many fantastic performances by and stories of women, only 20 titles are included? And this sale includes The Opposite Sex (1956), but not The Women (1939)???!!! I know the Blu of The Women was released through WHV originally, but the MOD DVD is through the Archive.

This sure looks like a last minute decision where someone late yesterday afternoon said in a meeting, OMG! We forgot that tomorrow is International Women's Day and we should have a sale. Tag the first 20 or 25 titles you see that may pertain. Amazing!

Rod J and Richard M S like this.
  10. Astairefan

Neil Powell
    I get the rest of your complaint, but why would you think their MOD dvd re-release of The Women should have been included? According to their site, that won't be released until March 13, and they almost NEVER include pre-orders in their sales.

11. JoelA

JoelA Cinematographer

Joel Arndt
    Absolutely right. I stand corrected. Still, it was a dismal sale.