What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (4 Viewers)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A question on WAC DVDs -- is there a semi-definitive list of titles that were initially released pressed vs DVD-R?

When did WAC start doing at least some items from some retailers as pressed discs.
Does WAC only use DVD5 for burned discs or will they use DVD9 as well?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Before they handed off WBSHOP to a separate entity, they did have list of replicated titles. The initial listings of DVD titles had a notation about initial quantities being DVD, but not always. Maybe archive.org saved those old pages. Don't know when the new website started. WBSHOP does not have a list now.

WAC starting pressing TV-series titles in mid-2012. But, again, not all. THE GALLANT MEN series was on DVD-Rs. The Gallant Men was released between HARRY-O S-1 and THE LIEUTENANT Vol 1 & VOL 2. Harry-O and The Lieutenant were DVDs. I don't know if the single movie and series movie feature DVDs would have started in 2012, also.

A few months back, I purchased some old WAC TV series from Oldies.com and Deep Discount and they were all pressed DVDs. All of them had been released 2-4 years ago. SPENSER: For Hire- S2 and S3, HOW THE WEST WAS WON- S-3, KUNG FU: The Legend Continues-S2.

More recent WAC TV series releases: SAM BENEDICT and LAZARUS MAN were pressed and I read here at HTF, some of the sitcoms are pressed too.

The TV series MR.NOVAK, HONDO, and THE MAN FROM SHENANDOAH were on DVD-Rs.

I don't know for a fact if any of the initial DVD pressings are OP. Amazon burns their own WAC titles, but may sell pressed WAC titles they obtained through buy back programs.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll look for them in some of the Archive posts -- thanks.

WBShop sold to Bolder Road sometime spring/summer of 2015 and then they sold to Araca Merchandising I think sometime in mid 2017.

Specifically what started the search was as discussion about Tex Avery's Droopy. Not surprisingly the Amazon were DVD-R. but I can' t find a single post elsewhere mentioning this set from WAC. The 2007 release is pressed of course, but OOP.

I did hear a podcast where someone involved did say they had the ability to burn DVD-9 so finding out that information isn't really helpful

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I miss WAC's original site in the early years when they'd run a 4 for $44 sale and the multi-disc sets were included by mistake. I picked up quite a few for $11 a piece. It was rush, rush, rush before someone realized the error. They always fulfilled those orders with no issues.

MovieMaven61

Auditioning
Real Name
ed
I miss WAC's original site in the early years when they'd run a 4 for $44 sale and the multi-disc sets were included by mistake. I picked up quite a few for $11 a piece. It was rush, rush, rush before someone realized the error. They always fulfilled those orders with no issues.
I remember that, that's how I got all the Tarzan ,Bomba, Andy Hardy's ,Dr.Kildaire,Perry Mason & Philo Vance collections in one Thanksgiving sale.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The HTF got a shout out from George Feltenstein in an article linked below that is celebrating Warner Archive Collection's 10th Anniversary. God, I miss those chats with George and company.

“On the morning of the 23rd, Debbie Reynolds was in New York on ‘The Today Show’ announcing the launch of the Warner Archive Collection,” Feltenstein said.
“She explained what it was and that some of her films were part of the initial offering. And then that night I did something that I used to do every year and had done for about 11 or 12 years at that time. We would have a yearly chat on the Home Theater Forum, which was and still is a fan site.”
During the chat, Feltenstein tried to allay any fears about the quality of the MOD discs. Warner Archive also had been careful to provide the proper aspect ratio (no pan-and-scan cutting out part of the picture).

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/warner-archive-celebrates-10th-anniversary/

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I was one of those who had doubts when the MOD program was first announced. Now, I buy those DVD-Rs without a moment's hesitation. I've just ordered This Could be The Night, a film I don't know at all well but which looks really interesting.
I enjoy this film. B&W, 'Scope, Robert Wise and a very interesting cast that includes the luminous Jean Simmons.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
With a fabulous cast of women in addition to Simmons.
Yes. The story is set in New Zealand during the war with Simmons, Piper Laurie, Joan Fontaine and Sandra Dee as sisters! Laurie and Dee are affecting a sort of mid Atllantic accent in order to distinguish their characters from the boorish Americans.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Too bad there is much less communication with fans. I hear questions on the facebook site are often deleted rather than answered.

I know that from experience. I asked what I thought was an innocent question on the WAC facebook page: is the 1936 Showboat DVD oop? That's it - I didn't ask about possible licensing to Criterion, a potential blu-ray release, etc. The next day I noticed that my question had been deleted. I mentioned the deletion on the Showboat thread on this site and jokingly mused that I may be treading on some top secret information. A few days later I went on the WAC facebook page just to do my normal perusing and noticed that I had been blocked from posting. Maybe I really did poke into some sensitive area. :huh: Sort of disappointing that they would do that (to be honest, I was far from being a prolific poster there), but it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for buying their product. I'm looking forward to picking up their new DVD of The Cockeyed Miracle - one of my top wants for many years.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Just got 13 titles in on the latest WAC and a number a couple of weeks ago. Waiting on the balance of the April WAC releases when they happen. It took four days from US to my front door in Australia. All WAC in the box from a flash 15% off sale. My supplier has started using Fedex and not DHL. However, my back-order of Becky Sharp Blu they shipped this week via USPostOffice. I can't see that arriving before Easter and I an anxious to view it.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I know that from experience. I asked what I thought was an innocent question on the WAC facebook page: is the 1936 Showboat DVD oop? That's it - I didn't ask about possible licensing to Criterion, a potential blu-ray release, etc. The next day I noticed that my question had been deleted. I mentioned the deletion on the Showboat thread on this site and jokingly mused that I may be treading on some top secret information. A few days later I went on the WAC facebook page just to do my normal perusing and noticed that I had been blocked from posting. Maybe I really did poke into some sensitive area. :huh: Sort of disappointing that they would do that (to be honest, I was far from being a prolific poster there), but it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for buying their product. I'm looking forward to picking up their new DVD of The Cockeyed Miracle - one of my top wants for many years.

I've had my questions deleted, too, and they haven't ALL been about Raintree County. ;) As a former social media manager, I don't think it's good practice but, like you, I will of course continue to support their product and I truly appreciate their efforts.

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I've had my questions deleted, too, and they haven't ALL been about Raintree County. ;) As a former social media manager, I don't think it's good practice but, like you, I will of course continue to support their product and I truly appreciate their efforts.

I've had random questions deleted before but Ive never been blocked. I think I asked whether they would go back and re-release titles released 10 years ago when better masters become available such as Private Lives and the silent Garbos.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Pete Smith Specialties DVD.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks