What's new

Warner Archive Blu-ray Wish List: The 1940's (2 Viewers)

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
APACHE TRAIL
MGM wasn’t particularly well-known for westerns. They only made a few in the 40’s. But “Apache Trail”, a compact little B, turned out pretty well. It focuses on a disparate group trapped at a remote stage outpost during an Indian uprising. Definitely a situation with plenty of built-in tension and director Richard Thorpe keeps it stoked. The script’s tight, the dialogue sharp and observant.
One of “Apache Trail” ’s strengths is its talented cast. William Lundigan’s the leading man (in spite of his third billing) and he does a great job. This is a guy that seemingly had it all. Tall, handsome, athletic – with an ingratiating manner and a beautiful speaking voice (he’d started out as a radio announcer in Syracuse, New York). Lundigan’s a virtual poster boy for the “why didn’t he become a big star?” sweepstakes.
And he’s possibly unique in that four major studios all saw his screen idol potential and signed him to contracts – Universal (1937-1939), Warner Brothers (1939-1941), MGM (1941-1943) and - after a four year interruption for military service and a couple of years freelancing - 20th Century Fox (1949-1953). The Fox years brought him closest to the top. After he aced a key role in the megahit “Pinky” in ’49, Fox short-listed him for the role of Celeste Holm’s playwright husband in “All About Eve”. Inexplicably the part went to colorless Hugh Marlowe. But Lundigan did get leading roles opposite some of Fox’s top stars – Dorothy McGuire, June Haver, Susan Hayward. But none of the films involved made much impact. And by the mid-50’s he’d transitioned – like so many others – to TV, where he enjoyed success as host of the popular “Climax” anthology program and star of the sci-fi series “Men in Space”. Lundigan’s potential is certainly there for all to see in “Apache Trail”. But soon after it premiered, he joined the Marines (eventually wounded at Okinawa) and when he came home, whatever career momentum had accumulated was more or less gone.
Good as he is, Lundigan’s not “Apache Trail” ‘s only ace in the hole cast-wise. Lloyd Nolan’s superb as a notorious bad boy gunfighter. The actor knows it’s a good part and grabs it with both hands. Also impressive is Ann Ayars, an Eastern adventuress who arrives on the stagecoach – not quite virtuous, not quite villainous , but completely intriguing. Ayars later became a renowned soprano with the New York City Opera. But the closest thing to coloratura trills in “Apache Uprising” are some Indian war whoops.
Only sour note in the cast comes from the usually dependable Donna Reed. Here she’s hopelessly at sea playing a Mexican senorita, complete with disastrous accent. A “No Sale” sign rings up on the cash register every time she opens her mouth. All-purpose character actress Connie Gilchrist plays her mother. And though she’s no more Mexican than Reed, she leans into her part so gamely – and with such great comic flair - that resistance is futile.
Bottom line: “Apache Trail” ‘s story’ is so solid that MGM remade it ten years later (as “Apache War Smoke”). And both versions racked up substantial profits on modest budgets.

CAPTAINS OF THE CLOUDS
Director Michael Curtiz was Warners’ in-house dynamo in the 30’s and 40’s. “Captains of the Clouds” came out near the beginning of ‘42; by December two more Curtiz films had appeared, “Yankee Doodle Dandy” and “Casablanca”. Not a bad year’s work. “Captains” isn’t as celebrated now as the other two but it’s always been a big favorite of mine. James Cagney’s in particularly fine fettle; granted, his character does some things that would get most other actors booed off the screen, but J.C. sells the part as only he can and makes you love it. It’s also his first film in color.
Warners shot the picture in Canada and the Technicolor cameras capture the scenery magnificently, especially the sweeping Ontario wilderness vistas. “Captains” is one of the few Hollywood films to focus on the Canadian WW2 effort. The story’s about flyers – civilian and military – with Cagney and the ever-affable Dennis Morgan as rivals, sometimes friendly ones, sometimes not.
A major bone of contention comes in the attractive form of Brenda Marshall. The actress (Mrs. William Holden at the time) was currently getting the star build-up at Warners; she’d just come off back to back leads opposite Errol Flynn. But I think her work in “Captains of the Clouds” is her very best. She’s fresh and feisty, radiating a sturdy outdoor beauty that needs little enhancement from Max Factor. The character she plays lives in a remote northern outpost. But harbors a yen for big city lights and excitement. Likeable but not perfect. Neither her character nor Cagney’s would win any ethics
awards but – though both have the clearly elevated appeal of movie stars - they’re believable and relatable. The eventual fate of Marshall’s character is genuinely affecting, perhaps even more so than the writers intended. Her last scene is played with a poignant ambiguity that leaves us wondering (and caring) what’s in store for her.
“Captains of the Clouds” reaches its blazing climax with an exciting display of battle action in the skies. This is very much a picture that cries out for Blu-ray release. And – by the way - what a beautiful title!

DESPERATE JOURNEY
I remember loving this WW2 movie when I last watched it about twenty years ago. Ran it again tonight and now I see why. It’s bursting with memorable moments – right from the first wordless sequence when a civilian blows up a German bridge in the night; he’s shot down, But in a last desperate act manages to release a carrier pigeon flying toward England with a vital message.
This is a story of downed Allied flyers trapped behind enemy lines in Germany. And If ever there was an actor born to play a charismatic leader men would gladly follow to Hell and back, it’s Errol Flynn, here at the peak of his stardom. The initial mission – a bombing raid on a critical German railroad junction – is handled with such vivid immediacy, you just feel swept up in it. Special effects are state of the art 1942 – but rather then seeming dated, they’re bathed in a period beauty that’s completely transporting.
Once the crew is downed, Curtiz and company make terrific use of fog machines and sound effects to heighten the atmosphere of tension and unknown danger.
Some may feel that the amount of banter between the imperilled airmen makes the picture seem more like The (Much) Further Adventures of Robin Hood and His Merry Men (especially with the presence of both Flynn and Alan Hale). But is that a bad thing? Especially since that banter is so darn good. Almost every gallows humor quip lands and there’s a mountain of them.
Raymond Massey as the Nazi major in relentless pursuit seems right at home barking out imprecations in German. And Ronald Reagan, in gamely good-natured wise-cracker mode, turns out to be a perfect sidekick for Flynn.
Granted, credulity might be strained by the endless string of hair-breadth escapes and against all odds coincidences. But – in the moment – they’re so skilfully constructed, so rousingly performed that you can hardly keep from holding your breath.
This movie, I suspect, was conceived as some sort of cinematic recruiting poster. If so, I’d guess it worked. It’s easy to imagine hordes of Saturday audiences pouring out of the theater afterwards in an ecstatic mood. Feeling that - with Flynn and company leading the charge - victory was just over the horizon.

SPY SHIP
By the mid-30’s double features had become the norm in most cinemas other than exclusive premiere houses. With a brief programmer (generally in the 60 -70 minute range) preceding the main attraction. To meet the demand Warners launched their own dedicated B-picture division. By the 40’s this had developed into a crack unit, turning out efficiently made, cost-conscious items one after another Not many out and out masterpieces, perhaps – but lots of lively little diversions that kept most audiences engaged and entertained. And with the impressive studio assets at their disposal, Warner B’s sported a level of production polish way beyond what the little Poverty Row outfits could muster. Personal favorite titles include “Tear Gas Squad”, “Calling All Husbands” and “Father is a Prince” (all 1940), “Singapore Woman”(1941) and this movie, “Spy Ship” from ’42.
The script borrows elements from an early 30’s Bette Davis potboiler called “Fog Over Frisco” and sprinkles them into an espionage tale set in the days leading up to the Pearl Harbor attack. No servicemen or battleships on display here, though. It all takes place stateside in a large coastal American city. Leading man is Craig Stevens, looking for all the world like Cary Grant circa 1932. But the real performance standout is elegant Irene Manning, who – had she caught the master’s eye – could easily have served as one of Hitchcock’s coolly provocative blondes. Here she’s a glamorous high-profile aviatrix, touring the country late in ‘41 to promote an isolationist agenda. She’s part of a “patriotic” organization called the AAA (America Above All), which is actually a front for a bunch of Heil Hitler types bent on sedition and sabotage.
Manning’s got great presence – and plenty of versatility. She makes intimate onscreen conversations seem like the real thing but – at the same time - her podium exhortations sound like they really could heat up a crowd in no time flat. Irene Manning even had gifts beyond the ones on display in “Spy Ship”. She was an outstanding soprano. But by ’42 the vogue for onscreen operetta was dying. And after teaming with Dennis Morgan for an elaborate Technicolor version of “The Desert Song” (with Nazis added to the plot), Manning just seemed to fade away. Just another example of how the old Hollywood studios had much more talent than they knew what to do with.
“Spy Ship” packs in enough plot for two and a half movies. At one point near the end, a minor character shouts out a whole barrage of story exposition lickety-split just to get us up to date. No problem - because, there’s never a dull minute in the picture, which even finds room for a couple of nicely unexpected plot twists. The whole thing ends in a lengthy, well-executed whizz-bang of flying bullets that’ll have you realizing that the last 59 minutes just flew by.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
@Beckford
I haven't seen any of your recommended films. Thanks for your insightful reviews of Apache Trail, Captains of the Clouds, Desperate Journey, and Spy Ship. Hope to see these on blu-ray someday.

Although it's movie that makes some roll their eyes, I fell as a teenager for 1942's Random Harvest, and liked it just as much when I saw it again in my 30s, 40s, and 50s. It was a huge hit the year it was released—number 2 at the box office right behind Mrs. Miniver. From wikipedia....

"The film was an instant commercial success and was nominated for seven Academy Awards, including Best Actor for Colman, Best Supporting Actress for Susan Peters, Best Director for Mervyn LeRoy and Best Picture. Garson, whose performance was well-received, was ineligible for the Academy Award for Best Actress, as she had already been nominated that year for her role in Mrs. Miniver....According to MGM records, the film earned $4,650,000 in the United States and $8,147,000 worldwide for a profit of $4,384,000, making it their biggest hit of the season. The film played for a record 11 weeks at Radio City Music Hall in New York, a record that lasted until at least the 1960s."

I like old movie poster art, and so here's some more....

random.jpeg
random 2.jpg

Last edited:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I've never seen the 1941 Technicolor hit Blossoms in the Dust, but I like Greer Garson and Mervin LeRoy. Anyone have an opinion on this one?
View attachment 120160
I've seen it and if you like Greer Garson and Mervyn LeRoy I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's a beautiful film dealing with adoption and a real tear jerker. As an adoptee myself, I found myself drawn to the story. Garson and Pidgeon are solid leads as always. It reminds me of a story my Mom told me years ago. She saw this with her sister in the theater on first release. My aunt was ugly crying so hard my Mom was embarrassed to be with her.

Santee7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kirk
My guess is that this one's high on the list of prospective Warner Archive Blu-ray titles. All that star-power, the always marketable horror angle - especially with a familiar title like this one. Plus, of course, it's quite a good movie. Always thought Donald Crisp contributed one of his best performances here. '41 turned out to be an all-round great year for Crisp. He won the 1941 supporting Oscar for "How Green Was My Valley".
I would hope they would remaster and bluray both the Jekyll/Hydes, Spence's and March....I do love them both, but the first one(1931) has always been my favorite. I still have the flipper disc dvd of both films from thousands of years ago/ but have long been hungry for an upgrade.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
THE LITTLE FOXES
Another acknowledged classic that’s somehow eluded Blu-ray release. Again maybe Criterion’s got it locked up. Bette Davis’ steely control freak performance didn’t grab me initially but repeated viewings over the years have made me admire it more and more. At this point, it’s hard to imagine anyone playing the part more effectively (although Tallulah Bankhead created the role on stage and that must have been something to see). “Foxes” is a carefully costumed 19th century drama about family backstabbing and Lillian Hellman keeps the dialogue sharp and juicy. I’ve never been a big fan of Patricia Collinge, who I find over-embroiders every part she plays, nor of Teresa Wright when she’s in Goody Two-Shoes mode. But Dan Duryea is fantastic as a panicky weakling. He’d originated the part on stage with Bankhead but this was his movie debut. And justifiably led to a long and much applauded movie career. Universal produced a “Little Foxes” prequel called “Another Part of the Forest” seven years later. It’s also good. Benefiting enormously from another entertaining Duryea performance (this time playing the father of his “Foxes” character). If anything, he’s even more terrific than he was in the first film.

SUNNY
I’d love to see a good print of this Jerome Kern musical. It features British superstar Anna Neagle, then enjoying a fairly successful run in Hollywood at RKO. Here she’s an Irish circus performer, thrown into contact (via romance) with New Orleans high society. Neagle and her husband director Herbert Wilcox made this while Orson Welles was doing “Citizen Kane”. The pair occasionally joined Welles in the RKO screening room to watch “Kane” rushes”. Wilcox’s directorial style is usually pretty stolid. But I swear his glimpses of the “Kane” footage may have (at least temporarily) lit some sort of creative spark in the man. Because the opening section of “Sunny”, set against a swirling Mardi Gras background, plays out with an off-kilter sweep and momentum worthy of Welles himself. Unfortunately, things quickly settle down into more conventional mode. But Anna Neagle’s beauty and charm do a lot to transcend that. And though not much of a singer, Neagle was a really glorious dancer. She has two fine dance numbers in “Sunny”, the first, performed to the Kern standard “Who” and set inside a kind of art-deco circus ring. She’s partnered here by Ray Bolger, but her artistry practically renders him invisible. The second, a reprise of “Who”, played out in the moonlight on the deck of a Mississippi paddleboat, only lasts a minute or two. But Neagle catches lightning in a bottle, momentarily fusing dance and romance in perfect proportion. In the process rendering leading man John Carroll enchanted. Who wouldn’t be? It’s just a shame that – during her RKO tenure – Neagle was never paired with Fred Astaire. It would have been marvelous.

TWO-FACED WOMAN
This is famous as the film whose failure supposedly killed Garbo’s movie career. If I understand correctly, the picture actually made a small profit. Garbo was understandably unhappy with the poor reviews, though. But she always seemed like a skittish and eccentric character – ready to bolt from Hollywood at a moment’s notice. As things turned out the lady never made another picture. “Two-Faced Woman” (directed by George Cukor) reteamed her with “Ninotchka” co-star Melvyn Douglas. It was an old comedy property, previously filmed (with great success) as a Constance Talmadge silent called “Her Sister from Paris”. Still, it’s odd that the last two movies Garbo (with her ultra-dramatic image) made were both comedies.
Melvyn Douglas is never less than polished here. Ruth Gordon, many Halloweens before “Rosemary’s Baby”, shines as an acerbic secretary. And elegantly gleaming Constance Bennett - as a temperamental New York playwright – expertly explores the art of cattiness with a kind of permanently furious aplomb.
Garbo herself plays what amounts to a dual role. And I find her relaxed, accomplished and quite secure in her comedy technique. Of course, she’s also beautiful. The actress even cooperated with MGM choreographer Robert Alton on a complicated Latin dance number involving hordes of extras. It’s called “The Chica-Choca”. Garbo didn’t have to become Eleanor Powell. Just capture the spirit of the number. Which she does charmingly.

ZIEGFELD GIRL
This is a kind of “Valley of the Dolls 1941”, following as it does the triumphs and tragedies of three aspiring Broadway showgirls who all react to the limelight in different ways. It’s mounted with typical MGM lushness – impressive costumes and sets, elaborate musical numbers. And – of course – wall to wall stars.
Casting of the headline trio was particularly deluxe – Judy Garland, Hedy Lamarr and Lana Turner. Not too bad as glittering triumvirates go. Garland and Lamarr were already major luminaries by 1941. Turner instantly became one with her work in this picture. She’s really terrific as the self-destructive one, fresh as a daisy at the outset, a burned out wreck near the end. Turner’s success here led to a long and glamorously upholstered career. But I don’t think she ever gave a better all-round performance.
It’s really odd this movie hasn’t made it to Blu-ray yet. Even the Ziegfeld name is catnip to old-school musical fans. And the stellar cast is undeniably a draw. Did I mention that James Stewart’s in it too.? Also Tony Martin, Charles Winninger and Eve Arden all doing their respective things with panache – plus a dramatically impressive young Dan Dailey.
But nothing tops the climactic image of Turner’s final, emotionally-charged descent down a long staircase to the strains of “You Stepped Out of a Dream”. That’s entertainment.

1942 to Come

The Little Foxes is available in HD from Prime Video. There is a glitch in the encoding about 15 minutes in, I believe that's the reason it never made it to Blu-ray. Fabulous movie. I have the DVD as a backup.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Northwest Passage and Captain Horatio Hornblower for me and I'd be on happy fellow!
YES ON Northwest Passage one of the best adventure films ever made - great cast too - the MOD dvd is tons better than TCM's print! So they must have elements for a Blu!

Waldo Lydecker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David N. Heathman
A restoration of “The Strange Love of Martha Ivers” and technicolor greats “State Fair” and “Dubarry Was a Lady”!!!

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
A restoration of “The Strange Love of Martha Ivers” and technicolor greats “State Fair” and “Dubarry Was a Lady”!!!
"Strange Love" was a Paramount release (I think now PD) and "State Fair" was a 20th Cent. Fox release now controlled by Disney.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Ok…I still want them…!!!
Possibly you're already aware of this and are just hoping for improved restorations. But "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" and "State Fair" are both available on Blu-ray and can still be purchased on Amazon - "Martha Ivers" as a standalone and "State Fair" as part of the Rodgers & Hammerstein box set, that also includes "Oklahoma!", "Carousel", "The King and I", "South Pacific" and "The Sound of Music".

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
THE HARD WAY
Here’s a picture not nearly as famous as it should be. Not just because it’s a studio era luxury item from top to bottom – utterly first-class in all technical categories. It also happens to have a smart, beautifully written script – with its four leading players all at the top of their respective games.
“The Hard Way” is melodrama – no doubt about it – but the kind that goes a long way toward giving melodrama a good name. The story follows a bitter wife sweating out a bad marriage in a stifling coal-town – and bent on engineering some sort of escape plan for her pretty kid sister. Regardless of what it takes or who gets K.O.’d along the way. That plan turns out to be quite a success – but at a devastating cost to all concerned.
The script was first offered to Bette Davis, then Ginger Rogers, both of whom turned it down. I’m glad they did because Ida Lupino inherited the part and polishes it to a diamond shine.
Lupino performances are seldom less than riveting. But here’s she a laser-focused hurricane, backstabbing, conniving and manipulating, all while miraculously retaining a kind of audience-relatable humanity The character she creates is not simply an evil stereotype; Lupino makes sure she’s not just compelling but complex.
Joan Leslie, still in her teens and already a major name at Warners, plays Ida’s kid sister and does a fine job. She adds her own distinctive freshness to the part, but proves fully up to the role’s later demands which include regret, creeping cynicism and eventual recognition of her own shared guilt in big sis’s misdeeds There are several musical numbers in “The Hard Way”, and Joan Leslie’s delivery of them’s meant to be of the sort that knocks audiences for a loop. For maximum credibility you’d need someone with Judy Garland level musical comedy talents. In other words, you’d need Judy Garland. Leslie is just an okay singer and dancer. She gets by. Otherwise, though, there are no caveats to her work; For the most part, I'd say she aces the part.
Dennis Morgan, a fan-mail favorite in the 40’s and a guy who could dispense easy charm with the best of them, also gets to show the broader range of his talent. Operating with great command and composure, demonstrating incredible skill delivering the “this guy’s been around the block” dialogue. Also, of course, Dennis Morgan has matinee idol looks – and even does his own first-rate singing.
All four of this film’s principals should have been considered for Oscar nominations. But Jack Carson’s omission from the supporting list is especially galling. He plays Morgan’s vaudeville partner, a rough around the edges but heart-on-his-sleeve type whose loving relationship with Leslie is one of the things Lupino dynamites out of the way. Carson is heartbreakingly good. This is an actor who could do anything - but his sterling work in “The Hard Way” has lingered in my memory for decades.
I should mention at least one other cast member. There’s a section of the picture where big sis figures that a particular actress is standing in the way of kid sister’s Broadway career. The source of Lupino’s discontent is a fading luminary with a penchant for booze and self-pity. Ida engineers this unfortunate dame’s humiliation and downfall with the focus of a rattle-snake. The part of the broken-down Broadway belle, brassy but ultimately poignant, is filled by beer-bottle blonde Gladys George and it fits her skill set like a slick rubber glove.
Audiences loved “The Hard Way” and it made lots of money for Warner Brothers. Also advancing the careers of its four stars. But somehow the Oscar folks chose to ignore Lupino and her galvanizing work. Preferring to recognize Greer Garson’s dignified virtue-signalling in "Madame Curie”. I wouldn’t quarrel with their eventual ’43 winner – Jennifer Jones in “The Song of Bernadette”. That’s a marvelous performance in a terrific picture. But Ida should have at least been nominated. The prestigious New York Critics’ Circle certainly felt that way. When they revealed their own Best Actress winner, the name called out was Lupino’s.

THE SEVENTH VICTIM
Of all the films I’ve mentioned so far, “The Seventh Victim” is probably the one most likely to see a Blu-ray release in 2022. There was a time decades ago when the series of films Val Lewton produced at RKO in the 40’s was strictly the preserve of connoisseurs and cultists. Now at least six of them are considered part of the recognized cinema canon. Most have by now made it to Blu but devotees are still clamouring for “I Walked with a Zombie”(1942) and this jet black gem from ’43, “The Seventh Victim”.
Perhaps more than any other producer, Val Lewton has been virtually acknowledged as an auteur. He didn’t actually direct any of his films – but he was more than a producer, more than a curator. Sometimes he was given only a title to build a film around, but he worked intimately with his writers, crafting stories that reflected his own rarefied sensitivities. Then collaborated – not just with his directors – but also with craftsman at every level of production to imbue these films with a striking and singular aura. Starting with 1942’s “Cat People” Lewton presented us with a series of hermetically sealed onscreen worlds sustained by a unique, palpable atmosphere of uncertainty and hushed intensity.
There have been other films over the years with strong Lewtonesque flavors. “Specter of the Rose”(1946) and “City That Never Sleeps(1953), both from Republic. And “Cat People” director Jacques Tourneur’s stunning return to form in 1957 with “Night of the Demon". But only Lewton was able to sustain that trance-like spell of his over a whole series of movies.
“The Seventh Victim” opens rather ominously in a girls’ school –an institution with some sort of religious affiliation, one imagines –our initial view of the interior is dominated by stained glass windows. One of them’s devoted rather unsettlingly to a quotation attributed to John Donne:
“I runne to death and death meets me as fast. And all my pleasures are like yesterday”.
A debuting Kim Hunter stars as Mary, a student whose only relative, an older sister in New York, has gone mysteriously missing, leaving Mary’s tuition fees unpaid. Mary embarks on what turns out to be a devil of a search for the missing sibling. Hunter, an ultra-sensitive performer (and future Oscar winner as Stella in “A Streetcar Named Desire”) is absolutely perfect casting as the questing innocent in a threatening city.
Most of Lewton’s thrillers dealt with elements that were not quite supernatural. But closely enough related to it to provide advertising catnip for horror-inclined fans. Some got less than they expected. But many got more. Nowadays most outright horror films from the 40’s pale when measured against the poetically suggested terrors of Lewton’s key works.
In “The Seventh Victim”, Mary finds out that her sister has become the prospective victim of a group of big city satanists. The powers they exercise aren’t really supernatural, but through skillful psychological intimidation, exploiting fears and insecurities, they convince others of it – in the process wreaking havoc that sometimes turns deadly.
Lewton developed a kind of stock company of actors at RKO – people like the once seen, never forgotten Elizabeth Russell (Rosalind’s sister-in-law) and Tom Conway (George Sanders' soundalike brother), who fit beautifully into his carefully crafted worlds. But none more so than wonderful Jean Brooks. She plays Mary’s missing sister, who keeps mysteriously appearing and disappearing throughout the picture. Brooks wears a striking looking Cleopatra hairstyle. And it’s an undeniably punchy visual. But it’s the actress herself who weaves real magic. With large tragic eyes, furtively unpredictable movements and a voice that resonates with low, throbbing intensity, Brooks emerges as the hushed embodiment of Lewton’s universe. It’s a shame this amazing actress didn’t have a longer career. But personal problems seem to have engulfed her and by the 50’s she’d all but disappeared.
Also worth noting in the cast is Hugh Beaumont, famous to the next generation as Ward Cleaver, TV dad on “Leave It to Beaver”. Not someone you’d naturally expect to see in a satanic scenario. He plays almost all his scenes with Kim Hunter – and proves a perfect partner for her, his own line delivery beautifully matching the sensitivity of hers.
Like most Lewton films, this one looks and sounds great, its visual and aural mastery constantly conjuring up the dangers inherent in dark spaces, the everpresent possibility of invisible threats. "The Seventh Victim" is like some strange, delicate artifact from a curio cabinet. On closer examination you see not just more beauty but deeper levels of mystery.
One wonders, in the end, how this picture ever got made and released. Its moods, rhythms and eccentric sensibilities are so counter to what 40’s filmgoers were used to.
The stunning final moments of “The Seventh Victim”, focused solely on Elizabeth Russell, are unlike anything else in 40’s cinema. And continue to pack a wallop. 21st century viewers are still likely to shake their heads and just say “wow!”.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Since they've been busy giving us the great Thin Man series on Blu-Ray, I'd love to see 'Love Crazy' as well as 'I Love You Again'.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Since they've been busy giving us the great Thin Man series on Blu-Ray, I'd love to see 'Love Crazy' as well as 'I Love You Again'.
I actually prefer these two titles to any of the Thin Man films. William Powell is just terrific in both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.