What's new

Warner Archive Blu-ray Wish List: The 1940's (5 Viewers)

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Thought I'd add another post to the thread. Not strictly limited to 40's titles - but there are plenty of those included. And it's definitely in Warner Archive Wish List territory.

I’m no insider. Far from it. But I am a lifelong fan of MGM musicals. They’re not all great. But there aren’t many that don’t contain at least some of the ingredients I continue to crave - all set to the strains of the MGM Studio Orchestra. So it’s been a good news day for me every time Warner Archive bumped up one of its song and dance specials to Blu-ray status. Over the years I’ve continued to pay rapt attention to the pertinent online threads, to statements from our much admired Mr. Feltenstein, patron saint of MGM reissues and to Warner Archive's cumulative release patterns. To the point where I have some pretty strong hunches about which MGM musicals have the best chance for Blu-ray.
Of course, I’m not privy to details like problematic elements and legal complications (often music related). And these can certainly be deal breakers where reissues are concerned. Plus – of course – these days we’re not even sure how long home video as we know it will survive.
All that said, here’s a rundown of the Golden Age (pre-60’s) MGM musicals I think have the best shot at showing up as Blu’s. I’ve listed them in descending order of likelihood (at least as I see it).

1. THREE LITTLE WORDS (1950) Fred Astaire, Red Skelton, Vera-Ellen, Arlene Dahl. This one seems to be a sure thing. Mr. F. Has mentioned more than once over the past couple of years that it’s being worked on. Plenty of us MGM Musical fans have been holding our breath for it every month. Surely it’s gotta be a cinch for 2024.

2. HIGH SOCIETY(1956) I’d guess this to be the top fan request among Metro musicals. Bing, Sinatra, Grace Kelly, Louis Armstrong plus an exceptional Cole Porter score, not to mention massive box office success in its day; complicated restoration issues may be the problem here; hopefully they’ll be ironed out soon.

3. THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY(1949) Fred & Ginger’s reunion after a decade apart. Not a patch on their best RKO classics – but their only MGM title and their only film together in color. So a very likely candidate.

4. ROYAL WEDDING(1951) Fred Astaire, Jane Powell. Lots of great songs and dances including Fred’s famous dancing on the ceiling routine. Warners already rescued it from PD Hell for DVD. So an upgrade to Blu would seem a natural progression.

5. DANCING LADY(1933) Kind of in the spirit of the Gold Digger series from Warner Bros – though not as
rambunctious. But the star teaming of Joan Crawford and Clark Gable makes it a natural for consideration. Plus it’s historically important as Fred Astaire’s movie debut (in a musical cameo as himself).

6. WORDS AND MUSIC(1948) This and “Three Little Words” are my favorites of MGM’s all-star composer biographies. “Words and Music” is about Rodgers & Hart, with Mickey Rooney and Tom Drake cast as the acclaimed song writers. The story’s pretty much made up - but, that said, I still find the proceedings pretty absorbing. The Technicolor’s warm and rich, the songs (naturally) terrific and that all-star cast includes Judy, Gene, Cyd, Lena, Vera-Ellen, Betty Garrett, Ann Sothern and Janet Leigh – all in great form.

7. LILI(1953) A bit twee for my taste – but a big, award-winning hit in its day. Leslie Caron was Oscar nominated as was the very popular song “Hi-Lili- Hi-Lo”.

8. TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY(1946) Yet another all-star composer bio – this one spotlighting Jerome Kern and his shimmering catalogue. Robert Walker plays Kern – and the script, unfortunately , is from hunger. But a nice roll call of MGM musical stars – Judy, Kathryn Grayson, June Allyson, Frank Sinatra, etc comes through with flying colors in the musical segments.

9. YOLANDA AND THE THIEF(1945) Fred Astaire, Lucille Bremer. Somewhat misguided piece of musical whimsy flopped badly in its day. But the baroquely extravagant visuals are often stunning. And Bremer definitely ranked among Fred’s most graceful dance partners. Plus Mr. Feltenstein is up for all things Minnelli so I’d expect to see this one sooner rather than later.

10. PRESENTING LILY MARS(1943) A Judy Garland vehicle. Not one of her best. But Garland herself is reliably enchanting. And she’s in almost every scene. So her fan base, a group Warner Archive has serviced generously, is no doubt waiting with bated breath for Lily to finally get presented in Blu.

11. A DATE WITH JUDY(1948) Innocuous teen romance – but a big Technicolor hit in its day. Jane Powell
handles most of the musical chores (the score includes one of her signature tunes “”It’s a Most Unusual Day”). But young Elizabeth Taylor, Carmen Miranda and (for some I guess) Wallace Beery add vintage appeal. I’m pretty sure Mr. F. hinted that this one’s in the pipeline.

12. BATHING BEAUTY(1944) Initially titled “Mr. Co-Ed”, this was developed as a Red Skelton comedy but when it became clear from the rushes what an impact Esther Williams was having – in and out of the water – producers expanded her role. To the extent that the picture was retitled “Bathing Beauty”. There’s still too much Red Skelton in it for me. But the movie was a smash hit. Mr. Feltenstein has frequently said that their Williams reissues have always done well. So I’d say this one ( the very first in the million dollar mermaid’s decade long series of box office bonanzas is in with a very good chance.

13. EASY TO LOVE(1953) Another Esther Williams hit – with lavish aqua-musical sequences mounted by Busby Berkeley, no less. Last of the four Technicolor teamings of Esther and Van Johnson that popped up between 1945 and 1953. Van was topbilled in the first two but as Esther’s box office clout steadily eclipsed his, that billing was reversed for the later ones.

14. BORN TO DANCE(1936) I get the feeling the WAC gang has a soft spot for dancer Eleanor Powell. Which makes me think this Cole Porter musical, one of her biggest hits, is definitely in the conversation for Blu-ray release. The script’s pretty much a mess – but it’s a lively mess. Plus you get to see James Stewart. And he sings.

15. BABES IN ARMS(1939)
16. BABES ON BROADWAY(1941)
A pair of Judy Garland/Mickey Rooney teamings that haven’t yet made it to Blu-ray. Minstrel sequences in both carry negative baggage. But at some point I expect Judy’s presence will probably over-ride that consideration.

17. BROADWAY MELODY OF 1936(1935)
18. BROADWAY MELODY OF 1938 (1937)
Two more Eleanor Powell tap extravaganzas. Robert Taylor’s in both. And Judy Garland sings her “Dear Mr. Gable/You Made Me Love You” in the 1938 Melody.

19. THE GREAT WALTZ(1938)
Lilting film bio of Waltzmeister Johann Strauss. Expertly filmed (practically in ¾ time) by French director Julien Duvivier. French star Fernand Gravet plays Strauss with an ingratiating twinkle in his eye. Luise Rainer co-stars.

20. INVITATION TO THE DANCE(1956)
High-tone dance vehicle, consisting of several ballet-inspired sequences. Audiences in ’56 avoided it like the plague. But some people still admire the thing. And the presence of Gene Kelly (as star, director and choreographer) makes it a definite candidate for restoration treatment.

21. THOUSANDS CHEER(1943)
Bland, lustre-free screenplay serves as the flimsiest of connective tissues for this WW2 musical flagwaver. Kathryn Grayson and Gene Kelly star – with a battery of big MGM guest stars including Judy, Mickey, Lena Horne and Jose Iturbi trotting in and out as required. And the Technicolor’s vivid.

22. JUPITER’S DARLING(1955)
Unique among MGM musicals in that it’s set in ancient Rome. Esther Williams stars – and there are great underwater sequences. With high energy contributions from Howard Keel (as Hannibal) and the always welcome Marge & Gower Champion. This was an attempt to fuse the then-current craze for Ancient World epics with the movie musical. 1955 audiences didn’t respond but I find it’s aged quite nicely.

23. THE MERRY WIDOW(1934)
I get the sense that the Feltenstein crew is operetta-averse. But this title’s remained at least somewhat in the public consciousness. As have the names of Jeanette MacDonald and Maurice Chevalier – if only in the minds of dedicated vintage movie fans. But the factor that makes this one a good bet for Blu-ray release is that it’s directed by Ernst Lubitsch, a man who even now retains something of a hallowed-be-thy-name reputation in film circles. I’m not a fan of this movie – but I’d welcome a Blu-ray if it included the 1952 remake with Lana Turner and Fernando Lamas as a bonus feature. That version gets no respect (and has little chance of getting a standalone Blu release) but I’ve always been very fond of it. Una Merkel (who was in both versions) said once in an interview that she liked the second one better as well. In her case, she clarified that it was because her part in the 50’s one was much better. I’m with Una.

24. THE BELLE OF NEW YORK(1952)
Another bit of musical whimsy from Fred Astaire. The public didn’t seem to care for it in 1952. Attendance was spotty. But I think it’s one of Fred’s most endearing films. Which is saying something. It’s a Gay 90’s romance with a touch of fantasy. Some say it’s the fantasy element that turned 50’s audiences off. I see that element as just another part of the movie’s unique charm. There are dance numbers galore and Vera-Ellen may well be the most perfect dance partner Fred ever had. With some lovely comedy input from one of a kind Alice Pearce. As I said, it wasn’t a hit in its day. But the fact that Fred Astaire stars (and is wonderful in it) will certainly place the film among the contenders for Blu-ray consideration.

25. THE STUDENT PRINCE(1954)
Another operetta. So there’s that counting against its Blu-ray chances. But the title still has a kind of classic ring to it among musical theater fans. Plus it’s (sort of) a Mario Lanza movie. Though he started out as its star, Lanza was eventually replaced for various reasons (which may or may not have included star/director clashes, temperament and/or weight gain). But he’d already recorded the songs for the soundtrack. So princely looking Edmund Purdom lip-synced on screen. The picture was a hit – and the subsequent Lanza LP stayed on the charts for ages. Mr. F. has said that Lanza’s “The Great Caruso” was a much-requested item – and apparently the resultant Blu-ray was a big success. So if they want to release more Lanza this might be the way to go. And it’s in Cinemascope.

26. SWEETHEARTS(1938)
If they’re going to break down and go Blu with one of the Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy movies, this one might be the best choice. Its color cinematography won an Oscar. Plus it’s a very entertaining
picture, set not in operettaland but in 30’s New York (Dorothy Parker collaborated on the script and Maconald & Eddy appear to be having great fun with it).

27. PAGAN LOVE SONG(1950)
Esther Williams splashes down in the South Seas. This one, set in Tahiti , was actually filmed on location (with Hawaii subbing for Tahiti). So the Technicolor visuals are lush and lovely. With that most affably strapping of baritones, Howard Keel, along for added value.

28. MAYTIME(1937)
29. ROSE MARIE(1936)
Two more mega-hits from the MacDonald/Eddy catalogue. If WAC unexpectedly thaws out in its attitude toward operetta, these two films (along with the aforementioned “Sweethearts”) would be natural choices. I prefer “Rose Marie”, a semi-western, mostly filmed outdoors, that still radiates a bracing piney woods freshness. But both movies captivated the 30’s public (including my grandmother, fervent about Jeanette & Nelson all her life); she eventually got to see both perform in person (albeit separately) and adored them even more afterwards.

30. TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE(1950)
A bit of a long shot maybe, but it’s a lovely little film. Kind of in the “Meet Me in St. Louis” vein. With Jane Powell, Ricardo Montalban and Debbie Reynolds all performing winningly. I believe Jane Powell once said she considered this her favorite among her own movies. It made sweet music at the box office too. And the Debbie Reynolds/Carlton Carpenter version of the 1914 novelty song “Aba Daba Honeymoon”, featured in the film, unexpectedly became a huge chart hit

Anyway those are the ones I think (and in most cases hope) we’ll be seeing on Blu. Of course, there are so many other MGM musicals we’ll probably never see in the format. I know I’m not holding my breath for personal favorites like “The Kissing Bandit”, “The Firefly”, “The Girl of the Golden West”, “Rich, Young and Pretty” and “Excuse My Dust”. Or the wonderful, but under-celebrated Marge & Gower Champion vehicles “Give a Girl a Break” and “Everything I Have is Yours”. Conversely I won’t be disappointed if they never get around to “Broadway Rhythm”, "Mr. Imperium" or “Tom Thumb”. But I’m definitely hoping that one day soon I’ll be happily playing Blu-ray versions of at least some of the thirty MGM sparklers mentioned above.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
7. LILI(1953) A bit twee for my taste – but a big, award-winning hit in its day. Leslie Caron was Oscar nominated and the song “Hi-Lili- Hi-Lo” was an Oscar winner.
One little correction: the score won the Comedy/Drama background score Oscar; the song itself did not win. "Secret Love" from Calamity Jane won that year.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Same here!
I would also add Nancy Goes to Rio, and Lady be Good, two favorite of mine!
Unfortunately I suspect these two ( like "I Love Melvin" and "Three Daring Daughters", both titles that remain dear to my own heart ) are probably pretty far back in the queue when it comes to Blu-ray likelihood. Seems to me Mr. Feltenstein would have his work cut out for him trying to pitch any of them to the top-floor execs. That said, in a perfect world (or at least my perfect world) we'd have every MGM musical back and looking its spiffiest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.