What's new

Warner Archive Blu-ray Wish List: The 1940's (1 Viewer)

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
As Bogart is my favorite Golden Age star, I'm really hoping for more of his 1940s Warner titles. IMO his most exciting films, and some of his best work, is from the Casablanca period shortly after he became a leading man. I'm thinking primarily his three A's: All Through the Night, Across the Pacific and Action in the North Atlantic. Also of course titles like They Drive by Night, Virginia City, It All Came True and Brother Orchid.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
As Bogart is my favorite Golden Age star, I'm really hoping for more of his 1940s Warner titles. IMO his most exciting films, and some of his best work, is from the Casablanca period shortly after he became a leading man. I'm thinking primarily his three A's: All Through the Night, Across the Pacific and Action in the North Atlantic. Also of course titles like They Drive by Night, Virginia City, It All Came True and Brother Orchid.
My favorite Bogart movie has always been "High Sierra". Was so glad to see it emerge on Blu-ray this year. Pricey ... as it's from Criterion. But worth every penny. Especially since - as a bonus feature - they've included Raoul Walsh's terrific 1949 remake, creatively reimagined as a Joel McCrea Western and retitled "Colorado Territory".

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Hoping for:

White Heat
Three Strangers
Deep Valley
The Beast With Five Fingers
The Threat
Random Harvest
The Strawberry Blonde
Life With Father
I Remember Mama
They Drive By Night
Gentleman Jim
Desperate Journey
Tension
Wagons Roll at Night
All Through the Night
The Two Mrs. Carrolls
The Bride Came C.O.D.
Stranger on the Third Floor
I Walked With a Zombie
The Seventh Victim
Sinbad the Sailor
The Mask of Dimitrios
Out of the Fog
The Man I Love
The Hard Way
Pillow to Post
The Devil's Doorway
Roughshod
Station West
The Devil Thumbs a Ride
Betrayed
Crack-Up
Bodyguard
Follow Me Quietly
The Clay Pigeon
The Unsuspected
The Mysterious Doctor

Great list, Peter. WHITE HEAT is already available on Blu-ray in the Warner Bros. "Ultimate Gangster Collection," along with three other terrific films (LITTLE CAESER, PUBLIC ENEMY, PETRIFIED FOREST).

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
At the top of my list for 1940's titles would be:
Rio Rita 1942
Lost in a Harem
Abbott and Costello In Hollywood
The Three Musketeers 1948.
Many Errol Flynn titles
Many Red Skelton titles

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Destination Tokyo,Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo,Pride of the Marines,See Here Private Hargrove,The Clock,Northwest Passage,Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde,Tortilla Flat,Out of the Fog,Air Force,Between Two Worlds and Fallen Sparrow. Just to name a few more.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
There's no shortage of quality candidates to fill the void in the coming 12 months. How about starting with these...

Week-end at the Waldorf
King's Row
Best Foot Forward
Words and Music
Ziegfeld Girl
Bathing Beauty
Life With Father
That Midnight Kiss
Thousands Cheer
Kismet
Gentleman Jim
My Reputation
Flamingo Road
Lassie Come Home
A Date With Judy
Holiday in Mexico
Rio Rita
Random Havest
The Valley of Decision
The White Cliffs of Dover
The Human Comedy
Till The Clouds Roll By
Anchors Aweigh (remastered)
Meet John Doe
Mr. Skeffington
All This And Heaven Too
Humoresque
A Stolen Life
Johnny Belinda
Johnny Eager
The Corn is Green
In This Our Life
The Barkeleys of Broadway
When Ladies Meet
On the Town (remastered)
Boom Town
Honky Tonk
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Babes on Broadway
Three Daring Daughters
I Love You Again
Little Women
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
Mrs. Parkington
That Forsythe Woman
Sea of Grass
Cabin in the Sky
Madame Bovary
Cynthia
The Three Musketeers
East Side West Side

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Destination Tokyo,Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo,Pride of the Marines,See Here Private Hargrove,The Clock,Northwest Passage,Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde,Tortilla Flat,Out of the Fog,Air Force,Between Two Worlds and Fallen Sparrow. Just to name a few more.
Yup, 1943 was a great year for Warner war movies. My top four:

Bataan
Air Force
Destination Tokyo
Action In The North Atlantic.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm still back at 1941. Although Spencer Tracy apparently wasn't happy with the movie, he's truly creepy in his dual role. This rather epic and surreal production also stars Ingrid Bergman and Lana Turner.

Dr._Jekyll_and_Mr._Hyde_(1941)_poster.jpg
dr. j 2.jpeg

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
I'm still back at 1941. Although Spencer Tracy apparently wasn't happy with the movie, he's truly creepy in his dual role. This rather epic and surreal production also stars Ingrid Bergman and Lana Turner.

View attachment 120134 View attachment 120139
My guess is that this one's high on the list of prospective Warner Archive Blu-ray titles. All that star-power, the always marketable horror angle - especially with a familiar title like this one. Plus, of course, it's quite a good movie. Always thought Donald Crisp contributed one of his best performances here. '41 turned out to be an all-round great year for Crisp. He won the 1941 supporting Oscar for "How Green Was My Valley".

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

View attachment 120134 View attachment 120139
And with Bergman and Turner playing against type: Turner as the virginal good girl and Bergman as the trollop.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
G MEN !
And jeez, no one besides me wants to see I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG on blu ray ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.