What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (29 Viewers)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
In the last several years, some of my favorite films have come out on blu ray/4k.

They would have to be released with disclaimers acknowledging their less than stellar portrayals of other races besides the white leading men and ladies. That stuff doesn't age well. You may love the films and have fond memories of them but there is a ton of bad press about Tarzan. Google it. You may disagree but that doesn't change the fact that they are kind of "radioactive" and would be a headache. That said, Tarzan and His Mate is one of the films in the National Film Registry so maybe there is hope.

Warner Bros has ALREADY released items with disclaimers on them. If that's what it takes, fine. I have zero problem with that. But if they flat out refuse to release these over those issues then I'll be incredibly disappointed with them. The Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan films are a H-U-G-E part of the MGM (and now WB) legacy. I pray they don't go the way of Disney and try to bury such important films.

And as a side note, while I realize most folk go gaga over Tarzan and His Mate, it's nowhere near the top of the franchise for me. Heck, I like the later RKO films better. But since it's "pre-code" I get why most modern film buffs automatically are attracted to it (or perhaps I should say "her" rather than "it").

Gary "just looking for some good, nostalgic, Matinee fun these days - but darned if much isn't geared toward cynicism, pre-code, horror/violence, downbeat, subversive fare. I'd just like a little more variety" O.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Warner Bros has ALREADY released items with disclaimers on them. If that's what it takes, fine. I have zero problem with that. But if they flat out refuse to release these over those issues then I'll be incredibly disappointed with them. The Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan films are a H-U-G-E part of the MGM (and now WB) legacy. I pray they don't go the way of Disney and try to bury such important films.

And as a side note, while I realize most folk go gaga over Tarzan and His Mate, it's nowhere near the top of the franchise for me. Heck, I like the later RKO films better. But since it's "pre-code" I get why most modern film buffs automatically are attracted to it (or perhaps I should say "her" rather than "it").

Gary "just looking for some good, nostalgic, Matinee fun these days - but darned if much isn't geared toward cynicism, pre-code, horror/violence, downbeat, subversive fare. I'd just like a little more variety" O.
The Tarzan's are fun -- the Holy Grail would be Tarzan Escapes with the cut scenes

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My honest guess is that the hold up is either elements issues or perceived lack of demand. If memory serves they took a while to come to DVD back in the day too. I know the Tarzan films are of the time they’re made but I think Warner has put out other stuff that is at least as much as, if not more, of their time than this series.

I think it’s more that they put out 2-4 discs most months and given the vast size of their holdings, any individual title is unlikely to get its lucky number drawn at that rate.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Given the immense amount of effort required to bring the Thin Man series, Libeled Lady, and Dinner at Eight to blu, I would imagine the contemporaneous Tarzan films will require comparable work to bring them up to WAC's high standards. What really strikes me from these recent interviews with Feltenstein is how advances in restoration technology are making possible these projects which even just a few mere years ago would have been nearly unthinkable. These advances can only help the cause for Mr. Weissmuller.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
My honest guess is that the hold up is either elements issues or perceived lack of demand. If memory serves they took a while to come to DVD back in the day too. I know the Tarzan films are of the time they’re made but I think Warner has put out other stuff that is at least as much as, if not more, of their time than this series.

I think it’s more that they put out 2-4 discs most months and given the vast size of their holdings, any individual title is unlikely to get its lucky number drawn at that rate.
Sadly never going to see everything wanted and even on TV - thank heavens for TCM though

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Given the immense amount of effort required to bring the Thin Man series, Libeled Lady, and Dinner at Eight to blu, I would imagine the contemporaneous Tarzan films will require comparable work to bring them up to WAC's high standards. What really strikes me from these recent interviews with Feltenstein is how advances in restoration technology are making possible these projects which even just a few mere years ago would have been nearly unthinkable. These advances can only help the cause for Mr. Weissmuller.
Think though they are really not a priority sounds like more Technicolor BUT think they might see releases in 2024 the 100th of MGM! They were huge hits and are still great films to watch.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Releasing 4-6 titles per month doesn't bode well for certain titles being released on Blu-ray. That's the reality!
Sad reality even if they go to 5-7 a month it seems their DVD WAC stopped can u imagine how great it would be if they would focus on blu and let KINO etc Criterion increase their releases of WB/MGM/RKO classics on dvd?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sad reality even if they go to 5-7 a month it seems their DVD WAC stopped can u imagine how great it would be if they would focus on blu and let KINO etc Criterion increase their releases of WB/MGM/RKO classics on dvd?
I can't imagine that because I don't think it's going to happen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

As George Feltenstein stated during the podcast, they have about 8,000 feature films in their film library. I don't expect the following movies to be released on Blu-ray because of what you stated. Film elements and lack of demand. I hope I'm wrong because I grew up watching these movies back in the 1960s. However, with 8000 feature films at their disposal and only producing 4-6 Blu-ray titles a month. DVD releases is the best it's going to be for many of these films.

Released on 06-08-04:
1663800317629.png

Released on 10-31-06:
1663800415064.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A great podcast! I suggest anybody interested in WA titles, listen to Sam's interview with George Feltenstein. A special thanks to both, Sam and George.

Some tidbits from the podcast:
  • More than one Best Picture Winner is in the WA pipeline for 2023, and beyond.
Hmm, which Best Picture Winners in Warner's library was George hinting about? I think "Ben-Hur" is a given either by WA or Warner Home Video. The same with "Gone with the Wind". With Warner celebrating its 100th Anniversary in 2023, and then MGM with its 100th Anniversary in 2024, I think both of those "prestige" titles will be coming out on 4K/UHD, most likely from Warner Home Video with their larger budget.

George didn't mention MPI having 65mm capability for nothing so "Around the World in 80 Days" is a WA possibility. Knowing Mr. Feltenstein's fondness for musicals, I have to think a musical is coming too whether "The Broadway Melody" and/or "The Great Ziegfeld" from Warner Archive on Blu-ray.

• The Broadway Melody
  • Cimarron
  • The Great Ziegfeld
  • The Life of Emile Zola
  • Gone with the Wind
  • Around the World in 80 Days
  • Ben-Hur

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Great sets

Hmm, which Best Picture Winners in Warner's library was George hinting about? I think "Ben-Hur" is a given either by WA or Warner Home Video. The same with "Gone with the Wind". With Warner celebrating its 100th Anniversary in 2023, and then MGM with its 100th Anniversary in 2024, I think both of those "prestige" titles will be coming out on 4K/UHD, most likely from Warner Home Video with their larger budget.

George didn't mention MPI having 65mm capability for nothing so "Around the World in 80 Days" is a WA possibility. Knowing Mr. Feltenstein's fondness for musicals, I have to think a musical is coming too whether "The Broadway Melody" and/or "The Great Ziegfeld" from Warner Archive on Blu-ray.

• The Broadway Melody
  • Cimarron
  • The Great Ziegfeld
  • The Life of Emile Zola
  • Gone with the Wind
  • Around the World in 80 Days
  • Ben-Hur
Said the same thing Ben Hur 65mm and yes hopefully 2024

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I think Mr. F was referencing NEW TO BLU best pictures. I wonder if there would be trouble releasing CIMARRON due to its minor racist content? I’d hope not. The last time I watched it, I notice some awful racist things, but also notice the film as a whole needs A LOT of work. :/

I haven’t seen ZOLA in a long time because it’s so boring, but I did see ZEIGFELD recently and the DVD didn’t look all that bad.

I’m hoping for 80 DAYS. I love that movie!

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Yes! Did u get the blu ray? If yes can u check something for me? Does that print have the British Board of Censors title card?
Re: The Bishop’s Wife - Yes I have the only current BD release. No, no such title card on it. “Released through RKO RADIO PICTURES, INC” “PASSED BY THE NATIONAL BOARD OF REVIEW”
Then the blackout screen prior to the music ending.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Re: The Bishop’s Wife - Yes I have the only current BD release. No, no such title card on it. “Released through RKO RADIO PICTURES, INC” “PASSED BY THE NATIONAL BOARD OF REVIEW”
Then the blackout screen prior to the music ending.
I told him that there is no such card in another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks