What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: Tarzan, The Ape Man (1932) (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1698276273361.png

Coming to Blu-ray December 12th!

NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of Preservation Elements!

TARZAN, THE APE MAN (1932)

Run Time: 100 Minutes
Subtitles: ENGLISH SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-MA 2.0
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37:1 with Side Mattes
Product color: B&W
Disc Configuration-BD 50

Directed by W.S. Van Dyke
Cast: Johnny Weissmuller, Maureen O’Sullivan, C. Aubrey Smith, Neil Hamilton.
Special Features: Documentary: TARZAN: SILVER SCREEN KING OF THE JUNGLE; Classic Warner Bros. cartoons “I WISH I HAD WINGS” (HD) and “MOONLIGHT FOR TWO” (HD), Original Theatrical Trailer
Theatrical Trailer

“Tarzan…Jane…Tarzan….Jane”, these are the real words spoken by Johnny Weissmuller making his screen debut as Tarzan, the Ape Man to Maureen O’Sullivan as the lady Jane. And when cheetah made three, the treetop trio won over the whole country. The first of the M-G-M Tarzan adventures, Tarzan, the Ape Man remains the greatest jungle thriller of all time. Heading the cast, Olympic swimming champion Weissmuller bursts with bravery as the loin cloth-sporting, vine- swinging tough but gentle–hearted king of the wilderness and lovely O’ Sullivan exudes charming grace as the young English socialite, who, though at first fearful, eventually forsakes civilization in order to remain in the wild with her primitive and enthusiastic lover. Together the young couple faces a world of barbaric danger: while searching for the “elephant burial ground“ Tarzan is forced to fight a Gorilla to the death! And the famous stampede of wild elements charging in response to their friend’s call is one of the most spectacular sequences ever filmed. Through it all, Tarzan triumphs! The film was so successful in its initial release, that it was followed by five sequels made over the ensuing decade at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. More than 90 years after its initial debut, Weissmuller and O’Sullivan still light up the screen with adventure and romance in this all-time classic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
If people want the other Tarzan movies released then they better buy this one. Otherwise, this could be one and done if it's not profitable for Warner.
I think this one and Tarzan And His Mate are the best of the Weissmuller bunch. The rest get inferior with each picture. If they thought the others would do okay, I suspect they might have gone with a blu ray box of the Weissmuller Tarzans. Just my two cents.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think this one and Tarzan And His Mate are the best of the Weissmuller bunch. The rest get inferior with each picture. If they thought the others would do okay, I suspect they might have gone with a blu ray box of the Weissmuller Tarzans. Just my two cents.
George Feltenstein has previously stated that Blu-ray boxsets might not be feasible for them. If this sells enough units then perhaps this sets up another Thin Man series of releases. At least for the first six movies.

1698278932569.png

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I'm actually the weirdo that loves all the Weissmuller Tarzan films and even enjoys the later ones a bit more than the early ones. I know. I know. Ducking to avoid all the tomatoes being thrown. Just please take them out of the cans first.

Gary "this is tremendous news!!!" O.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually the weirdo that loves all the Weissmuller Tarzan films and even enjoys the later ones a bit more than the early ones. I know. I know. Ducking to avoid all the tomatoes being thrown. Just please take them out of the cans first.

Oh, I quite understand. My least favorite of the Alien movies is Cameron's Aliens which everyone is crazy about (I don't dislike it, it's just my least favorite) and I love Fincher's Alien 3 which even Fincher dislikes. My favorite of the Thin Man series are The Thin Man Goes Home and Song Of The Thin Man, two late entries which aren't as admired as the early ones. We like what we like ;)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I feel the same way. I grew up watching these films almost on a continuous loop on Jungle Theater on my local affiliate channel, and the later MGMs were just more fun for a kid. I haven't watched my box set for a long, long time, so this will be a treat to see again.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Great announcement, and i do hope that the numbers are good enough to maybe get another release green lit, i have always viewed the first 3 films pre "Boy" as the strongest of the set , with Escapes having it's own issues, 1935/1936..

Ape man pushed some of those boundaries of the code,

Mate is more pre code than almost ever other film made during that era.

and Escapes , well 1935 / 1936 two very different films, the 36 apparently retained one thing from the 35 version, the vampire bats.

if the missing bat scene could ever be found and reinserted it would make that swamp scene different, And a lot of Tarzan fans happy.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
A very pleasant surprise, I didn't think it would happen & I love that old film poster cover, the artist obviously didn't have a clue what the actors looked like. And yes, bring on Tarzan & His Mate.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

Add me as a club member! I love the first 6, like the next 6 very much, and will buy *any* of the Weissmuller Tarzan films day one. That's a rare thing for me as I typically wait a bit for a lower price point (~$15) for most Archive titles.

Like many others, I grew up watching these. They ran here *every* Saturday afternoon, paired with a Shirley Temple movie, for 15+ years. At 1pm there'd be a Tarzan film (always Weissmuller Tarzan) followed by a Shirley Temple film. Every 6 months or so they'd reverse the order and run Shirley Temple first with both series run in production order. I was a classic film nut even then and watched both every week without fail. The TV station here actually had and aired the unedited version of Tarzan, The Ape Man. I don't know how - just that it was (they also had and aired the uncut Frankenstein). When I got older and that station had stopped airing those films (mid-70s) I remember seeing the edited version on another channel and wondering why they'd cut parts out. It was a thrill to get that version back on the first DVD collection and I'm even more thrilled that it's coming on BR!

Yes - Day One purchase (actually a "Day One pre-order"). No questions asked.

Last edited:

Dr. Lejos

Agent
Real Name
Rick
This is SUCH good news! They’ve been hinting “there’s more Tarzan on the way” ever since Warner released several of the later ones on blu ray in 2019 … and finally here it is! And this initial MGM entry is such a magnificently photographed film.

Like many buffs here, I first saw it on TV as a kid, and of course was thoroughly wrapped up in its story, savagery and spectacle. Then years later, I saw it again at a local museum projected in 35mm. I was of course looking forward to reprising some of my youthful admiration, but was also awestruck by the stunning camerawork (Clyde De Vinna and Harold Rosson) which often gets overlooked, simply because the film doesn’t get seen very often beyond TV screens via substandard prints.

But knowing of WAC standards, I think we can be assured of a top quality blu-ray release. The description says “4K scan of preservation elements”, so perhaps the original camera negative is no longer available. This 1932 Tarzan was obviously reissued many times over the years, so it’s not going to be quite as pristine as those virtually untouched negatives used for some of WAC’s other titles … but if its anything near what I saw at the museum, we should all be in for a real visual and nostalgic treat!

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
After buying "The Ghost Ship" (plus 2 copies of the Bedlam/Ghost Ship for friends) and never hearing a peep about replacing my missing moth, I never pre-order,
but I make an exception for "Tarzan the Ape Man" (1932), and will do the same if we get a restoration of the next two in the Weissmuller series, plus "Tarzan the Magnificent."

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
What's with Amazon. Tarzan, the Ape on Amazon states it is in stock and if ordered now can be shipped with a delivery date of 12/15 (three days). Yet my pre-order from 11/17 says I won't get it until the January 24th of next year?

Do you think it will get self-corrected, or should I cancel and re-order and pay the additional $3 to get it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks