What's new

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (15 Viewers)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Other than 4K releases, which are not part of the Archive, what new to video films does Warner Home Video release now other than current movies?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I believe he said only Warner Bros. movies would be acknowledged as part of Warner Bros. 100th Anniversary celebration . It bothered him for non Warner Bros movies to be included in the celebration while also mentioning there would be new releases of MGM and RKO films during the anniversary year. I am not sure how else they would distinguish between films included in the celebration and those not included without something on the package whether it is a sticker on the plastic wrap or something on the front or back cover. That was my assumption.
Well, I'm going to listen to the podcast again because I remembered him saying they would concentrate on Warner titles, but that didn't mean some MGM and RKO titles won't be included next year. Furthermore, I think he was speaking about not only WA, but Warner Home Video too.
At about the 57 minute mark of the podcast, GF talks about the Warner and MGM celebrations plan for next year and 2024. He specifically stated that he wants to concentrate only on Warner Bros. titles for WA in 2023, with the "Warner 100th Anniversary" designate. However, he did acknowledged that Warner Home Video will release more than just Warner titles in 2023. Also, that WA will release MGM and RKO titles next year, but he wants them to be without the "Warner 100th Anniversary" designate. I think the final decision will come down to what GF's bosses want to do in that regard. More to come.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
As George Feltenstein stated during the podcast, they have about 8,000 feature films in their film library. I don't expect the following movies to be released on Blu-ray because of what you stated. Film elements and lack of demand. I hope I'm wrong because I grew up watching these movies back in the 1960s. However, with 8000 feature films at their disposal and only producing 4-6 Blu-ray titles a month. DVD releases is the best it's going to be for many of these films.

Released on 06-08-04:
View attachment 154685

Released on 10-31-06:
View attachment 154686
I was a bit surprised when George Feltenstein said they had 8,000 feature films. I thought it would be higher when you consider WB, MGM, RKO and other titles they own. In fact, I see that Wikipedia says Warner has12,500 feature films in their collection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was a bit surprised when George Feltenstein said they had 8,000 feature films. I thought it would be higher when you consider WB, MGM, RKO and other titles they own. In fact, I see that Wikipedia says Warner has12,500 feature films in their collection.
Wikipedia is never wrong with their posted information. :laugh:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Wikipedia is never wrong with their posted information. :laugh:

I was glad to hear Mr Feltenstein mentioned the blu ray of "The Adventures of Robin Hood " needs an upgrade though sad its not in the pipeline yet. It would seem a natural for the Warner Bros. 100th Anniversary in 2023 . I imagine they are concentrating on films that have not yet made it to blu ray.
WOW I just won a blu ray on the Extras! I asked for Abe Lincoln In Illinois! He does a great contest go like his page on FB and see how u can be entered into his contests!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if George Feltenstein had anything to do with the POLTERGEIST 4K getting the original Stereo track … if so THANKS!

Really love audio upgrades when possible but really appreciate original theatrical audio provided on 4Ks and Blus. I’d prefer it to bonus material if I had to give up one over the other. (And I love commentaries and docs)

Loved hearing the recent podcast featuring George F. - I like that he mentioned (and only in regards to the HBO film library but maybe could be a future release?!) Don’t Tell Mom The Babysitter’s Dead… This film has always looked really bad, last DVD I watched of it years ago, image quality looked faded, and I swear the image itself looked odd. I think it could look great on BLU.

I still have my fingers crossed AFTER HOURS will get a Blu-Ray/4K. I know its been rumored to have been with Criterion for so long they probably had to ask to license it again haha. I know so many films get those 4K transfers but get trapped on a 1080p blu, but fingers crossed it After Hours is with Criterion they do a 4K / BLU combo.

Liked the discussion near the end on TV, some hints were dropped about music licensing and my mind I’m sure went to wrong thing but Knot’s Landing (I’d kill for it on BLU) Rumor is Dallas might be coming to BLU!

I’m also probably in the minority but I still have my first season set of Wait Till Your Father Gets Home on DVD. Love to see the whole series get a BLU complete series set. Loved watching that one back when Cartoon Net would play it at like 2am (this was like 23-25 yrs ago) not sure if there are other fans of the show out there.
When asked about Season 2 and 3 of WTYFGH on their Facebook page a few years back they said it had rights issues that they are unlikely to clear. Most likely with alot of the guest stars.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I didn't want to be that guy, but you posted what I've been thinking about Superman.:) Why would Criterion release this after a fine 4K release by Warner Home Video?
Amazing but true...when i was an avid record collector back inthe 70s, I would run into those that had to have 26 copies of the same record title, the US and then every import from around the world just so they could say they had them all...they all sounded the same, but that didn't matter!! It seems to be that same mindset here with movies....and the Steel Book Edition, WOW!!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Northwest Passage hasn't been restored and though Warner has the film elements, it needs some extensive work for any Blu-ray release.
He said they have the negs and they are fine but nothing done yet and then he quoted Welles "it is not a wearying task" when compared to Raintree County == it was a good comment - there is hope! Do u think WAC Nov announcement this week? Was generally speaking of the Technicolor restorations!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
He said they have the negs and they are fine but nothing done yet and then he quoted Welles "it is not a wearying task" when compared to Raintree County == it was a good comment - there is hope! Do u think WAC Nov announcement this week? Was generally speaking of the Technicolor restorations!
Northwest Passage --- "Northwest Passage has no issues the negatives are fine it need to be recombined and restored like these other Techniocolors films do, it just hasnt been done yet. there was an interpostive made in the 90's that doesn't like very good and was not done very well, thats why when u see it now it Standard def only its muddy and ugly hopefully we can make it look beautiful." "Thats not as Orson Welles said a wearying one indeed" then he said Raintree County is another story etc

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I know I'm just one of many hoping for an announcement this week!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Probably more like Amazon leaks over the next day or two if history stays consistent. I'm keeping close to my laptop.
Mr F follows the great people posting in this thread we know he reads them too bad he just doesnt send a blurb announcing the titles the drama the drama!

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Mr F follows the great people posting in this thread we know he reads them too bad he just doest send a blurb announcing the titles the drama the drama!
Patience is a virtue! What's the difference if we hear about a title being released today or next week? Once a title is released then we get into a frenzy about the next batch of titles! Hey, I'd like Christmas next week but I'm going to have to wait until December 25th.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Patience is a virtue! What's the difference if we hear about a title being released today or next week? Once a title is released then we get into a frenzy about the next batch of titles! Hey, I'd like Christmas next week but I'm going to have to wait until December 25th.
Really a nice buffet, don't get piggish, LOL!!! You right!!
say what excuse me GIF by Clasharama

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks