What's new

Wanted: GUNSMOKE (CBS/1955-1975) (3 Viewers)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
GUNSMOKE SEASON 16

Episode #20
“Murdoch”
written by Jack Miller
directed by Robert Totten
cinematography by Charles F. Wheeler
music by Leon Klatzkin
guests: Jack Elam, Robert Random, Anthony Caruso, Jim Davis, Clint Howard, Tom Waters, Tim Burns, Liz Marshall, Bobby Clark, Gary Combs, Wag Blesing, Forest Burns, Chick Sheridan

It’s the fourth of July celebration at Dodge City when a kid named Lonny (actor Clint Howard) places firecrackers under the chair of sleeping Festus who pretends to be undisturbed. The kid doesn’t understand and leaves when Festus opens his eyes and notices the arrival of a group of riders led by US Marshal Lucas Murdoch (actor Jack Elam) who informs Dillon about his trap plan: catching the Carver gang who will rob the freight office holding a gold shipment of $42,000 at midnight. Dillon is forced to cooperate and must clear out the streets. Later on, a stagecoach delivers a strong box at the freight office. Murdoch explains to Dillon that he used to loose his left eye. At night and at the Marshal’s office, Murdoch explains the plan and orders his four men, Newly and Festus while the fourth of July celebration begins with fireworks. Murdoch and Dillon stay in the freight office. The gang arrives when Lonny plays with a toy horse in the deserted streets and Festus is obliged to re-direct him to the livery stable when the gang strikes. The lawmen counterattack and two robbers die and one man is wounded and sent to a cell to be treated and interrogated by Murdoch. The morning after, the remaining gang members stop near a pond because Braly (actor Tim Burns), one of them, is hurt and Scott Murdoch (actor Robert Random) helps him when his boss Amos Carver (actor Jim Davis) and Les Townsend (actor Anthony Caruso) give him an ultimatum: meeting in three days at Cole Station. Dillon and his posse spot the barn hideout of Braly and Murdoch and arrest them. Back at Dodge, Murdoch faces his son Scott. Dillon eventually catches Les Townsend. Murdoch releases his son and goes tracking Carver down with him …

It’s a good dead-serious robbers entry that is focused not on the outlaws but on an eaten from the inside and wounded lawman that confuses justice and vengeance and faces a family dilemma with his son that is part of the gang and that is well-played by actor Jack Elam. DP Charles F. Wheeler returns from the season 12 “The Lure”.

Actors Jim Davis returns from this season 16 “McCabe”.

Actors Tim Burns (“The Thieves”), Anthony Caruso (“Ring of Darkness”), Gary Combs (“Coreyville”), Jack Elam (“The Sisters”) and Robert Random (“Albert”) return from season 15.

Actors Bobby Clark (“9:12 to Dodge”), Liz Marshall (“Waco”) and Tom Waters (“9:12 to Dodge”) return from season 14.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
My Gunsmoke on DVD collection, thus far. I need to pick up the latter two TV movies from Kino-Lorber, The Long Ride and One Man's Justice, and of course the upcoming season 20 set from CBS/P to complete my run. I'd hate to know how much I've spent on this one series alone. But, worth it! Back in 2005-6 when I bought the two 50th anniversary box sets and the director's collection, I would have never let myself imagine that I would eventually have the entire series on DVD!
SAM_0741.JPG

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
My Gunsmoke on DVD collection, thus far. I need to pick up the latter two TV movies from Kino-Lorber, The Long Ride and One Man's Justice, and of course the upcoming season 20 set from CBS/P to complete my run. I'd hate to know how much I've spent on this one series alone. But, worth it! Back in 2005-6 when I bought the two 50th anniversary box sets and the director's collection, I would have never let myself imagine that I would eventually have the entire series on DVD!
View attachment 69353

Scanned the shelf-- where's the back half of that fifteenth go (1970)?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Scanned the shelf-- where's the back half of that fifteenth go (1970)?
Aha! You have discovered my Easter egg, Ben! Congratulations! I deliberately left out my S15V2 set from that photo, as one of it's discs is currently elsewhere in one of my four players...having recently watched the delectable Beverly Garland in The Badge...she's one of my personal favorite actresses...

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Aha! You have discovered my Easter egg, Ben! Congratulations! I deliberately left out my S15V2 set from that photo, as one of it's discs is currently elsewhere in one of my four players...having recently watched the delectable Beverly Garland in The Badge...she's one of my personal favorite actresses...

Appreciate that! I'm glad you solved the riddle-- I thought you, for some odd reason, had not gotten the back half of that fifteenth go.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
GUNSMOKE SEASON 16

Episode #21
“Cleavus”
written by Donald Z. Koplowitz and Richard Davids Scott
directed by Vincent McEveety
music by Leon Klatzkin
guests: Robert Totten, Arthur Hunnicutt, William Challee, Robert Cornthwaite, Robert B. Williams, Hank Wise

At night, a hungry gruff man named Cleavus Lukens (actor Robert Totten) with a beard rushes to a cave and finds some tiny apples to eat when an old man named Uriah Spessard (actor Arthur Hunnicutt) points his shotgun at him. Lukens leaves when he has a nasty stomachache so the old man gives some meat and tries to socialize but Lukens doesn’t like his colloquial tone. The old man confesses he is poor so Lukens gives him back his food. The old man still calls him “son” so Lukens jumps him and kills him by accident when he discovers a pouch filled with gold dust. Lukens explores the cave and finds out a so-called gold mine. The next day, Lukens goes to Dodge City’s gold exchange office to know the value of his pouch and rushes to the Long Branch where he meets his old childhood friend Festus. Dillon is on an errand. Miss Kitty pays for the beer as a welcoming sign. Festus shows him a nice place to sleep: the livery stable. Lukens buys himself a brand new suit because he is attracted by Miss Kitty and invites her for supper along with Festus and Doc. After that social event, Lukens confesses to Festus he wants to marry Miss Kitty. The next day, Lukens asks Miss Kitty to marry him but she refuses so Lukens becomes angry, threatening and leaves cold. At night, Festus meets Baylock (actor William Challee), the partner of the late Uriah Spessard, who reports him missing. Festus interrogates Lukens when Newly shows him the dead body of Uriah Spessard in a barn. Lukens counterattacks and asks Miss Kitty to follow him in his cave when Doc sees them at the exit of his office. Festus goes picking up his friend …

It’s an interesting character’s study on a stiff maniac and another poor hill man with an ambition tale after “Tycoon” with Festus but, unlike it, Cleavus is a bitter and angry man eaten by his frustration and his desire of social revenge: the prologue sums up well his raw nature. This is the only dead-serious hill people entry unlike the previous ones with Elbert Moses and Merry Florene. Actor Robert Totten provides his best performance for that season but still typecasted as a brute.

Actors Robert Totten returns from this season 16 “Gentry’s Law” and “Captain Sligo”, William Challee from the season 7 “The Gallows”, Robert Cornthwaite from the season 3 “Mavis McCloud”, Robert B. Williams from the season 15 “The Innocent”.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
GUNSMOKE SEASON 16

Episode #22
“Lavery”
written by Donald S. Sanford
directed by Vincent McEveety
music by Leon Klatzkin
guests: Anthony Costello, Judi West, Karl Swenson, Ken Swofford, David Huddleston, David Carradine, Chanin Hale, Jack Perkins, Hank Patterson

At night and at the closing time of the Long Branch, Sam fires a wild and drunk trapper (actor Jack Perkins) when Keith Lavery (actor Anthony Costello) keeps an eye on the street. Miss Kitty greets his two saloon girls named Verna (actress Chanin Hale) and April (actress Judi West) who head to their upstairs bedrooms. Once inside, April meets her wounded husband Keith who passes out. The next day and at Hank’s livery stable, Dillon, Festus and Newly notice a suspicious horse stained with blood when his owner named Arno (actor David Huddleston) asks for it and informs Dillon about a thief that he is shot down. April informs Keith that his felony is known when Doc Adams knocks at the door to give her some pills and later mentions to Miss Kitty that April is pregnant. The trapper resumes to the bar and runs amok by threatening Sam and chasing Miss Kitty with a bottle when Dillon appears, fires and slaps him. At night, the trapper, hidden in a back alley, fails to shoot at Dillon when Keith intervenes first and saves him. The next morning, Keith is cured by Doc at the marshal’s office when Dillon brings him back to Arno to settle a legal matter and wins. After Miss Kitty gives him a lesson of responsibility, Keith gives up his dream of a Dakota’s gold mine and accepts a job at the tannery. Later on, he meets his old friends Harry (actor Ken Swofford) and Clint (actor David Carradine) who suggest him to follow him at the gold mine but he refuses. At night, the friends of Keith sneak into the tannery, steal the hides and hits owner Mr. Hubert (actor Karl Swenson). Keith resumes to the place, sees wounded Hubert who accuses him of the evil deed, goes to his home and informs his wife, joins his friends because he feels guilty but while facing crooked Arno for the selling of the hides his mind changes for good …

It’s a decent social and marital story combined with a poor young man with a professional dilemma. The wild trapper scenes are noteworthy. As in “Luke”, actor Anthony Costello plays again a character facing a saloon girl. The cast of Keith’s wild friends is good: Ken Swofford as Harry and David Carradine as Clint. Too bad, David Carradine will not return on the series and with a meaty part.

Actor David Carradine is known for two western series: Shane (1966) and Kung Fu (1972).

Actor Anthony Costello returns from this season 16 “Luke”, Karl Swenson (“The Devil’s Outpost”) and Ken Swofford (“The Devil’s Outpost”, “Hackett”) from season 15.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
View attachment 69353

A tantalizing glimpse at your DVD collection, Randall! Aside from that lovely row of Gunsmoke sets, underneath I can also identify Hazel, Get Smart, Gidget, and Perry Mason...though there's a couple others there on the shelf that I can't quite identify. Is your collection organized in alphabetized form, or some other method? Anyway, it looks far more organized than mine...though I am currently working on streamlining it.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
A tantalizing glimpse at your DVD collection, Randall! Aside from that lovely row of Gunsmoke sets, underneath I can also identify Hazel, Get Smart, Gidget, and Perry Mason...though there's a couple others there on the shelf that I can't quite identify. Is your collection organized in alphabetized form, or some other method? Anyway, it looks far more organized than mine...though I am currently working on streamlining it.
That's a new shelving unit, and thus far very unorganized as to what I stuffed into it. But I did tidy up that one shelf to take the photo of my Gunsmoke collection, forgetting that one half season volume (S15V2) was elsewhere, with a disc in one of my four players for two TVs...eagle eye Ben noticed that, much to my surprise. Ben has an eye for detail! The other sets on the shelf below that you couldn't quite make out are (L to R) the two volumes of Wire Service from Alpha video, behind that, the complete and massive box set of all The Three Stooges shorts, HBO's From the Earth to the Moon mini-series, the three volumes of the complete Steve Canyon, both seasons of Car 54, Where Are You? from Shanachie, the 50 episode, 4 DVD PD box set of Mr. and Mrs. North, season 2 of The Joey Bishop Show, the excellent two volumes (2DVD, 6 eps. each) of The Danny Kaye Show, the complete 4 DVD set of Here's Edie (the 1962-63 Edie Adams variety show), all 5 seasons (so far on DVD) of The Beverly Hillbillies...and in front of that on the right, the first season of the new (2018) Netflix produced season one reboot of Lost in Space (don't know how I feel about that one yet)...until I organize further, it's a dog's breakfast, ha, ha...right now, I have stacks of box sets on the floor, around the five full size shelving units that my collection is housed in...boxes more of homemade DVD recordings that don't look as good on a shelf, thus are packed away...one stack is for my viewing que, which you and others have added to by reminding me that I need to revisit something you guys have talked about...apart from this mess, my TV on DVD collection is mostly arrayed as to genre... Western, War, Cop, Medical, Sit-Com, SF, Documentaries, etc.,

Along with Gunsmoke, I have a truly epic collection of Westerns, both TV and Theatrical features...a frighteningly huge collection, ha, ha...no surprise, as my favorite era is 1955-65...

My theatrical feature films on DVD and Blu (1920s to 2000s, but mostly 1931-1975) are separately arrayed as to year of release, with no regard as to genre or star...all of my 1955 movies are together, for instance...for 1961, you'll find my Blu of Breakfast at Tiffany's right next to The Guns of Navarone, ha, ha...I know, that's different, isn't it? But it works for me, as I retain an iron-trap memory of release years, and as a history buff with a huge library of histories and biographies, the context of historic timeline is important to me...believe me, I can find a particular movie in less than a minute...multi-disc movie box sets are kept together (I have the Film Movement/Studio Canal 5 British War Blu-ray set, Went the Day Well?, Colditz Story, Dam Busters, Dunkirk, Ice Cold in Alex coming at the end of March)...but I really do need to organize my TV on DVD collection in a better fashion...Jeff, I imagine having a wife makes for a tidy household, as women are civilized like that...my woman lives 60 miles away and thus can't see my daily dirt...I snap to attention and do a blitz cleaning when I know she's coming for a visit, which she did last week when we went to see Sam Mendes' 1917 (a great film, just a stunning achievement)...otherwise, my dog approves of the general state of disorder, ha, ha...

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That's a new shelving unit, and thus far very unorganized as to what I stuffed into it. But I did tidy up that one shelf to take the photo of my Gunsmoke collection, forgetting that one half season volume (S15V2) was elsewhere, with a disc in one of my four players for two TVs...eagle eye Ben noticed that, much to my surprise. Ben has an eye for detail!

Thanks for noticing-- I am autistic, and (unless I'm mistaken) a lot of people like myself seem to have that skill.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
That's a new shelving unit, and thus far very unorganized as to what I stuffed into it. But I did tidy up that one shelf to take the photo of my Gunsmoke collection, forgetting that one half season volume (S15V2) was elsewhere, with a disc in one of my four players for two TVs...eagle eye Ben noticed that, much to my surprise. Ben has an eye for detail! The other sets on the shelf below that you couldn't quite make out are (L to R) the two volumes of Wire Service from Alpha video, behind that, the complete and massive box set of all The Three Stooges shorts, HBO's From the Earth to the Moon mini-series, the three volumes of the complete Steve Canyon, both seasons of Car 54, Where Are You? from Shanachie, the 50 episode, 4 DVD PD box set of Mr. and Mrs. North, season 2 of The Joey Bishop Show, the excellent two volumes (2DVD, 6 eps. each) of The Danny Kaye Show, the complete 4 DVD set of Here's Edie (the 1962-63 Edie Adams variety show), all 5 seasons (so far on DVD) of The Beverly Hillbillies...and in front of that on the right, the first season of the new (2018) Netflix produced season one reboot of Lost in Space (don't know how I feel about that one yet)...until I organize further, it's a dog's breakfast, ha, ha...right now, I have stacks of box sets on the floor, around the five full size shelving units that my collection is housed in...boxes more of homemade DVD recordings that don't look as good on a shelf, thus are packed away...one stack is for my viewing que, which you and others have added to by reminding me that I need to revisit something you guys have talked about...apart from this mess, my TV on DVD collection is mostly arrayed as to genre... Western, War, Cop, Medical, Sit-Com, SF, Documentaries, etc.,

Along with Gunsmoke, I have a truly epic collection of Westerns, both TV and Theatrical features...a frighteningly huge collection, ha, ha...no surprise, as my favorite era is 1955-65...

My theatrical feature films on DVD and Blu (1920s to 2000s, but mostly 1931-1975) are separately arrayed as to year of release, with no regard as to genre or star...all of my 1955 movies are together, for instance...for 1961, you'll find my Blu of Breakfast at Tiffany's right next to The Guns of Navarone, ha, ha...I know, that's different, isn't it? But it works for me, as I retain an iron-trap memory of release years, and as a history buff with a huge library of histories and biographies, the context of historic timeline is important to me...believe me, I can find a particular movie in less than a minute...multi-disc movie box sets are kept together (I have the Film Movement/Studio Canal 5 British War Blu-ray set, Went the Day Well?, Colditz Story, Dam Busters, Dunkirk, Ice Cold in Alex coming at the end of March)...but I really do need to organize my TV on DVD collection in a better fashion...Jeff, I imagine having a wife makes for a tidy household, as women are civilized like that...my woman lives 60 miles away and thus can't see my daily dirt...I snap to attention and do a blitz cleaning when I know she's coming for a visit, which she did last week when we went to see Sam Mendes' 1917 (a great film, just a stunning achievement)...otherwise, my dog approves of the general state of disorder, ha, ha...

Thanks for that, Randall! Always interested in how other physical media aficionados organize their collections...my wife's pretty sanguine about my collection, and doesn't complain about the occasional stack of DVDs in the living room next to the TV. She's a keeper! It helps that I have most of my discs hidden away in black binders upstairs, the majority of the DVD cases themselves being stored away in boxes back in the States. This is about the only way I have been able to transport hundreds of DVD sets to Japan after each annual visit home. All of my 500+ Blu-Rays, however, are in their original cases and out on shelves in my media room (aka "man cave"). About 5% of my TV-on-DVD collection is still in original packaging, mostly Region 2 stuff shipped from the UK.

Like you, I'm planning to organize my TV series by genre, and am slowly in the process of rearranging my binders to accommodate this (hard to do when one is constantly adding new titles to the collection!) I do the same with my films...it would never have occurred to me to arrange them by year of release, but that way makes perfect sense for a history buff such as yourself.

Anyway, I've derailed John's Gunsmoke thread long enough...hopefully he'll forgive this little tangent. :) I have some more comments / questions, but will take those elsewhere...To bring this thread back on topic - have you put in your order for Gunsmoke Season 20 yet, Randall?

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I watched season 18's "Sarah" last night and saw for the first time on Gunsmoke some Sam Peckinpah-style slow motion during a fight scene between Arness and one of Anthony Caruso's henchmen. Great episode for Anne Francis fans, as she is in the title role.

In the previous episode, "The Drummer," I suspect that whoever did the subtitles was not as familiar with the series as those who had been doing the subtitles in recent seasons. They called Ma Smalley's boardinghouse "Moss Maud's." In one of the b/w seasons, the subtitler called her "Moss Molly." Poor Ma! Anyway, "The Drummer" is another fine showcase for Victor French as an ex-Cavalry sergeant dealing with PTSD over a massacre of Native Americans that his troops committed.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
GUNSMOKE SEASON 16

Episode #23
“Pike, Part I”
written by Jack Miller
directed by Bernard McEveety
music by Johnny Parker
guests: Jeanette Nolan, Dack Rambo, Cliff Osmond, William Mims, Jim Boles, Ross Hagen, William Murphy, Jon Jason Mantley, Marie Mantley

On a windy night, Festus checks out the town and heads to the office of Doc while a stranger named Cyrus Pike (actor Dack Rambo) watches him and resumes to his gang located in a back alley with their horses. Three gang members break in the freight office and light a stick of dynamite to open up the safe while Festus asks a glass of whiskey for his sore throat and informs Doc that Dillon is out of town. The safe explodes, the three robbers come out with the loot, mount up and run away when Festus fire at them and hit one. A posse is quickly formed. Pike is wounded (shoulder, belly) and the gang escort him back to a poor shack. Leader Macomb split the $2,800 loot in three and lets Pike bleed to death but Pike reacts, comes out a small gun from his boot and threatens them in order to get the loot for himself and with their weapons. Macomb tries to shoot him but Pike hits him in the arm first. Pike leaves in a hurry and fires the horses. Later on, Pike hides his loot in the trunk of a tree because he sees an old woman named Sally Fergus (actress Jeanette Nolan) singing and riding a wagon. She stops by, watches the body of Pike and reluctantly takes care of him. Meanwhile at Dodge City, the posse returns empty-handed. The three robbers threaten a farmer named Hawkins (actor William Mims) to get horses and money while Sally operates Pike with a kitchen knife. Dillon is back in town, bumps into Sally who pays a visit to Woody’s general store and Doc’s office to get some pain killer drug known as laudanum. Dillon investigates the robbery in the region. At her return home, she spots a blood path leading to a clearing where Pike lies down on the ground motionless.

It’s a wild robber entry with a comical side through the picturesque character of old and poor farmer Sally Fergus who collects empty bottles and, as in “Captain Sligo”, the guest actor over-acts. The blend between drama and comedy slows down the narrative. The mule of Sally is Worthless and carries a straw hat. As usual, the cast of robber characters is good: Cliff Osmond as leader Macomb, Dack Rambo as wounded Cyrus Pike, Ross Hagen as Hicks, William Murphy as Loomis. The episode starts directly with the leading characters opening credits and no picture medallion for Matt Dillon but the old showdown main title sequence and the announcer introduces the cast followed by the night prologue. As in “Mirage”, the episode title is in yellow and displays “Dirty Sally” instead of “Pike”. Jon Jason Mantley and Marie Mantley are the children of Gunsmoke executive producer John Mantley and both return from this season 16 “The Gun” and they briefly appear as the nasty brats who insult the old Sally.

Actors Dack Rambo returns from the season 16 “The Witness”, Cliff Osmond from the season 15 “Celia”, Ross Hagen (“Slocum”) and William Murphy (“Lobo”) from season 14, Jeanette Nolan returns from the season 10 “Aunt Thede”.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
GUNSMOKE SEASON 16

Episode #24
“Pike, Part II”
written by Jack Miller
directed by Bernard McEveety
music by Johnny Parker
guests: Jeanette Nolan, Dack Rambo, Cliff Osmond, Ross Hagen, William Murphy

The episode starts with a trailer from Part I that lasts 5 minutes 5 secondes used a prologue. Sally brings Pike back home and gives him some pain killer drug. Dillon keeps on investigating the robbery along with Festus. Slowly but surely, Sally develops a relatioship with Pike who offers her a present ($1200 from the stolen loot) but she refuses cold for moral reasons. Pike leaves. After returning home, she faces the three robbers who shoot her mule …

This robber entry turns into a weird love story with a generation gap from a lonely old person. The episode starts directly with the leading characters opening credits and no picture medallion for Matt Dillon but the old showdown main title sequence and the announcer introduces the cast followed by the night prologue. The episode title is in white and displays “Dirty Sally” instead of “Pike” and it is followed by the mention “Conclusion” and “The Story Thus Far” during the trailer.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper

April: season 17
June: season 18
August: season 19
October: season 20​

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
TOP GUNSMOKE SEASON 16 EPISODES

Producer Joseph Dackow
“The Noose”
“Chato”
“Stark”
“Sam McTavish, M.D.”
“Snow Train, Part I & II”
“The Noonday Devil”
“The Witness”
“The Gun”

Producer Leonard Katzman
“Murdoch”
“Mirage”
“Jaekel”
“Lavery”

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
GUNSMOKE SEASON 16THE SCORES

INDEX OF COMPOSERS ONSCREEN CREDITS

Leon Klatzkin (12)
“Stark”
“Luke”
“The Gun”
“The Scavengers”
“The Witness”
“McCabe”
“Sergeant Holly”
“Captain Sligo”
“Jaekel”
“Murdoch”
“Cleavus”
“Lavery”

Johnny Parker (10)
“Chato”
“The Noose”
“Sam McTavish, M.D.”
“Gentry’s Law”
“Snow Train: Part 1 & 2”
“The Noon Day Devil”
“Jenny”
“Mirage”
“The Tycoon”
“Pike: Part 1 & 2”

Notes
Despite his monumental onscreen credits, Leon Klatzkin just writes a handful of original scores.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks