Flashgear

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Randall
One of the many great latter day episodes in Gunsmoke's long run...S18's The Sodbusters (Nov. 20 1972)...guest starring Morgan Woodward in one of his 18 Gunsmoke episodes...co-starring Alex Cord, Katherine Justice and a young Harrison Ford, purportedly considering giving up on his acting ambitions at the time...but also on the cusp of stardom as a little film from George Lucas was about to break out of the film cans that it had sat in for the previous 2 years...American Graffiti being a surprise box-office hit in the summer of 1973...this episode was beautifully filmed at Old Tucson and the environs of Sedona Arizona...my screen caps from the recently released CBS/P DVD set...no spoilers...
Gunsmoke 91.JPG

Gunsmoke 92.JPG

Gunsmoke 93.JPG

Gunsmoke 95.JPG

Gunsmoke 98.JPG

Gunsmoke 97.JPG

Gunsmoke 99.JPG

Gunsmoke 102.JPG

Gunsmoke 105.JPG

Gunsmoke 107.JPG

Gunsmoke 109.JPG

Gunsmoke 110.JPG

Gunsmoke 112.JPG

Gunsmoke 114.JPG

Gunsmoke 129.JPG

Gunsmoke 132.JPG

Gunsmoke 138.JPG

Gunsmoke 135.JPG

Gunsmoke 139.JPG

Gunsmoke 140.JPG

JohnHopper

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
John Hopper

JohnHopper

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
John Hopper

¶ Next on Gunsmoke: season 17, starting from April 6!
¶ I'm off during three weeks because I need to refill.
¶ Load your gun and be ready!

dillon17_01.jpg

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Flashgear

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Randall
Amongst the companion books about Gunsmoke, which one provide an episode guide with reviews?
Thanks.
John, I can recommend David R. Greenland's The Gunsmoke Chronicles - A New History of Television's Greatest Western (Bearmanor, 575 pgs., fully illustrated throughout). It's available from Amazon in hardcover and a very affordable larger format paperback...

https://www.amazon.ca/Gunsmoke-Chro...&sr=1-3&swrs=0A36D212EBDEDD6972C32D615C45387B
David R. Greenland also wrote a book on Rawhide, which I also have...

The last 4 Gunsmoke seasons released by CBS/P, seasons 16-19, have all featured a worthwhile, charming and informative video bonus feature, Ben and Becky Talk Gunsmoke...each video segment, running 13-19 minutes or so, is uniquely dedicated to discussing fan favorite and milestone episodes in each successive season DVD release...they can be watched beforehand, as no spoilers are offered, and they feature these two dedicated Gunsmoke aficionados, both of whom have authored books on this subject, in a warmly engaged and informative discussion of 5 to 6 hallmark episodes (with film clips), as an ode to that particular season...I would assume that they have done another segment for the upcoming season 20...my screen caps from the S18 and S19 DVD sets...their video segments are in 16/9 widescreen, but the episodes, of course, are in original 4/3 A/R...
Gunsmoke 142.JPG

Gunsmoke 143.JPG

Gunsmoke 144.JPG

Gunsmoke 145.JPG

Gunsmoke 146.JPG

Gunsmoke 147.JPG

Gunsmoke 148.JPG

In season 19, they first discuss Matt's Love Story...the milestone episode filmed at Old Tucson and Sonora, with Michael Learned as the woman who rescues a wounded Matt from death's door, after he is ambushed by villain Victor French...
Gunsmoke 149.JPG

Gunsmoke 151.JPG

Gunsmoke 152.JPG

Gunsmoke 153.JPG

Gunsmoke 154.JPG

Gunsmoke 155.JPG

Gunsmoke 157.JPG

Gunsmoke 156.JPG

And then, season 19's spiritual companion piece, Kitty's Love Story...where Amanda Blake, on yet another misbegotten stage ride gone haywire, finds her own star-crossed love affair with a wounded Richard Kiley...
Gunsmoke 160.JPG

Gunsmoke 162.JPG

Gunsmoke 161.JPG

Gunsmoke 166.JPG

Gunsmoke 165.JPG

Last edited:

Flashgear

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Randall
Ben and Becky Discuss Gunsmoke season 19...Continued...my screen caps from the video bonus feature...

Kitty's Love Story...
Gunsmoke 167.JPG

Gunsmoke 168.JPG

Gunsmoke 171.JPG

Kay Lenz in The Foundling...
Gunsmoke 172.JPG

Gunsmoke 173.JPG

Donna Mills in A Game of Death...An Act of Love...
Gunsmoke 174.JPG

Ben Costello and Becky Burgoyne, authors and dedicated aficionados of Gunsmoke...both of their books are out of print but can be found at collector's pricing from third party dealers...or perhaps, directly from the authors if you so inquire...they are wonderfully warm, engaging and informative...kudos to them and CBS for providing these video bonus features!
Gunsmoke 170.JPG

Check out their websites...
Gunsmoke 169.JPG

JohnHopper

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
John Hopper
John, I can recommend David R. Greenland's The Gunsmoke Chronicles - A New History of Television's Greatest Western (Bearmanor, 575 pgs., fully illustrated throughout). It's available from Amazon in hardcover and a very affordable larger format paperback...

https://www.amazon.ca/Gunsmoke-Chro...&sr=1-3&swrs=0A36D212EBDEDD6972C32D615C45387B
David R. Greenland also wrote a book on Rawhide, which I also have...

Thanks for the reference. Does the book feature individual episodic reviews?
I already own the Rawhide companion book.

JohnHopper

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
John Hopper
The last 4 Gunsmoke seasons released by CBS/P, seasons 16-19, have all featured a worthwhile, charming and informative video bonus feature, Ben and Becky Talk Gunsmoke...each video segment, running 13-19 minutes or so, is uniquely dedicated to discussing fan favorite and milestone episodes in each successive season DVD release...they can be watched beforehand, as no spoilers are offered, and they feature these two dedicated Gunsmoke aficionados, both of whom have authored books on this subject, in a warmly engaged and informative discussion of 5 to 6 hallmark episodes (with film clips), as an ode to that particular season...I would assume that they have done another segment for the upcoming season 20...my screen caps from the S18 and S19 DVD sets...their video segments are in 16/9 widescreen, but the episodes, of course, are in original 4/3 A/R...

SEASON 18 DVD
As in the previous season set, you find a bonus: a 19 minutes discussion called Ben and Beckey Talk Gunsmoke: Season 18 in which the two hosts highlight a selection of season 18 episodes with specific guest actors. New extras are added: an audio commentary for “Quiet Day in Dodge” by actor James Arness and a photo gallery.

SEASON 19 DVD
As in the previous season set, you find three extras: a 13 minutes discussion called Ben and Beckey Talk Gunsmoke: Season 19 in which the two hosts highlight a selection of season 19 episodes with specific guest actors, an audio commentary for “Women for Sale, Part II” by writer Jim Byrnes and film historian Ben Costello, a photo gallery.​

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Flashgear

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Randall
Thanks for the reference. Does the book feature individual episodic reviews?
I already own the Rawhide companion book.
Greenland's Gunsmoke book, at 575 pgs with photos, follows the same template as his book on Rawhide...introduction with cast bios, and for each individual season, a brief intro citing his various favorite episodes and noteworthy events concerning the cast, the show and it's ongoing relationship (and drama) with it's network, CBS in any given year...there is a chronological listing of all episodes with cast, directors, writers airdate and brief synopsis for each individual episode...in the back of the book, there are interviews with Peggy Rea (actress and production secretary on the show), and actors Jeremy Slate and Morgan Woodward...Woodward's is lengthy and of great value...

DBF

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Ashley
Ben Costello and Becky Burgoyne, authors and dedicated aficionados of Gunsmoke...both of their books are out of print but can be found at collector's pricing from third party dealers...or perhaps, directly from the authors if you so inquire...they are wonderfully warm, engaging and informative...kudos to them and CBS for providing these video bonus features!
For anyone interested in e-books, Ben Costello's book is available as a download for $9.99 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Gunsmoke-Ame...Televisions-ebook-dp-B004V0VM0M/dp/B004V0VM0M

Jeff Flugel

Screenwriter
Premium
Reaction score
Website
thestalkingmoon.weebly.com
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Reactions: DBF and Flashgear

JohnHopper

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
John Hopper

Today, I prepared my individual review files for the remaining seasons (18 to 20).
I also double-checked all the music credits for season 18 and 19.
I also shot all the dvd menus for season 18 and 19 plus the production credits.
There're major changes in the production team.​

Flashgear

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Randall
Gunsmoke Season 19E21 Trail of Bloodshed (Mar.4, 1974) D: Bernard McEveety, W: Paul Savage, a classic tale of tragedy and revenge, features several familiar faces from classic TV history, both the old guard and a new generation. The old guard being represented by Harry Carey jr., and Craig (Peter Gunn) Stevens...the newer generation being represented by Kurt Russell, who still has a thriving acting career to this day...my screen caps from the S19 CBS DVD set...

Kurt Russell with Janit Baldwin...
Gunsmoke 175.JPG

Gunsmoke 176.JPG

Gunsmoke 177.JPG

Tom Simcox as the ruthless killer, and object of Kurt Russell's revenge...with Gloria Dixon...
Gunsmoke 180.JPG

Craig Stevens, the immortal Peter Gunn himself, as the professional gambler...and when need be, a surgeon in desperate times...
Gunsmoke 179.JPG

Gunsmoke 178.JPG

Nina Roman as the other saloon girl...and when need be, a compassionate nurse at heart...
Gunsmoke 181.JPG

Gunsmoke 182.JPG

Gunsmoke 183.JPG

Gunsmoke 185.JPG

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
From EBay: a peek inside three of the multi-season collections made of Gunsmoke (the first one [Seasons 1-4] with the first four half-hour gos; the second one [Seasons 5-7] with the remaining half-hour gos, and the first hour go; and the third one [Seasons 8-9] with the second and third of the hour gos]).

What I'd like to know is, is this the way these multi-seasonal collections will come in that upcoming all-in-one this May?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gunsmoke-S...448684?hash=item3b4435d36c:g:nlsAAOSwiiZednef

JohnHopper

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
John Hopper

You are warned.​

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
technocratshorizons