What's new

VistaVision--film by film chat and vote (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The Court Jester is the most well known of those titles and I would have thought it would have seen the light of day on BD by now.!
There were even some experiments in the later 50's-early 60's of a 70mm release such was its popularity.

It's only a matter of going:

https://www.parkcircus.com/film/117231-The-Court-Jester

As it is available as a 4k DCP either Paramount or one of their licensees can easily release it on Blu-ray with very little effort.

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Last Train From Gun Hill (1959) A Vistavision western that was made by the same people that made Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Should have been released by WB the same day as O.K. ! : ( ? Great western and cast. Houseboat, It Started in Naples, The Desperate Hours, The Black Orchid, The Rose Tattoo, The Joker is Wild, The World of Susie Wong, and Wild is the Wind are Paramount Vistavision titles that I would Love to have on Bluray. But will never get released any time soon. : ( That's a Shame : ( ?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I wonder if Twilight Time or some other independent blu-ray company could make a bid for some of these VistaVision titles?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Twilight Time or some other independent blu-ray company could make a bid for some of these VistaVision titles?

Depends on what kind of digital versions Paramount holds of these movies. None of these companies will do their own restoration work and if things look like the previous versions of The Court Jester or Strategic Air Command it is better to stay away and wait for more work to be done on the titles in question.

Of the titles that Rick mention for example I have seen Houseboat and The Desperate Hours as HD recordings and The Desperate Hours looks good enough for a Blu-ray release but Houseboat certainly does not.

Other titles that may have a good enough HD master are The Tin Star, We're No Angels, The Rainmaker and Teacher's Pet.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Depends on what kind of digital versions Paramount holds of these movies. None of these companies will do their own restoration work and if things look like the previous versions of The Court Jester or Strategic Air Command it is better to stay away and wait for more work to be done on the titles in question.

Of the titles that Rick mention for example I have seen Houseboat and The Desperate Hours as HD recordings and The Desperate Hours looks good enough for a Blu-ray release but Houseboat certainly does not.

Other titles that may have a good enough HD master are The Tin Star, We're No Angels, The Rainmaker and Teacher's Pet.

What was wrong with Olive's Strategic Air Command? I thought it looked really good although I wasn't sure about the aspect ratio. PQ wise though I thought it looked really nice.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
What was wrong with Olive's Strategic Air Command? I thought it looked really good although I wasn't sure about the aspect ratio. PQ wise though I thought it looked really nice.

Strategic Air Command looks really good now. I was talking about the previous versions of Strategic Air Command and The Court Jester that were aired in HD but they both looked very bad.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Strategic Air Command looks really good now. I was talking about the previous versions of Strategic Air Command and The Court Jester that were aired in HD but they both looked very bad.

Sorry, I've been on a lot of cold medicine lately and misread that you were talking about the aired version and not the bluray... :)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I've been on a lot of cold medicine lately and misread that you were talking about the aired version and not the bluray... :)

No problem, hope you are better now :)
SAC is one of those titles that I did not expect to look so good on Blu-ray. This is not exactly Vertigo so the way it looks now is a very nice surprise.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Artists and Models & Hollywood or Bust have been released in Australia. Does anyone have these and could they comment on the image quality?
Paramount are now releasing some of their titles in the U. K. - so far Roman Holiday and Barefoot In The Park - so it might pay you to wait for a local disc.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'd love this one on Blu-ray disc:

Hell's Island 45.jpg

I'm not optimistic because it's not a well-known title.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I'd love this one on Blu-ray disc:

View attachment 81414

I'm not optimistic because it's not a well-known title.

I don't really want to wait any longer for the Martin/Lewis titles. I'll give HTF members a couple of days to respond and then order them.

I have seen Hell's Island (although not in widescreen). It's not a great film but as a big John Payne fan, a blu ray would be an essential purchase.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Paramount Vistavision movies Wish List on Bluray.......Last Train From Gun Hill....Houseboat....The Desperate Hours....The Black Orchid....Wild is the Wind....The Joker is Wild....The Rose Tattoo....It Started in Naples....The World of Suzie Wong, The last two do not say Vistavision at the beginning of the movie. But I Love and want both on Blu Please ! :)
VISTAVISION.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks