What's new

Very strange E-mail problem. (1 Viewer)

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
For the past couple of days, I've been getting spam e-mails and viruses sent to me by myself. The messages are addressed to me, from me.

I always keep my virus checker up to date. What's going on here?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
They're probably from someone else. A lot of spammers do this, and some viruses (e.g. Klez) do too.

Check the headers in the emails to confirm this. You'll see what domain/ISP they were sent from, and chances are they'll be different from yours.

KJP

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
charter.net servers are the only ones listed in the mail headers. The Klez.E virus is the one that I've been getting a lot. Probably about 15 times in the past few days.

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
This is indeed most likely the Klez virus.
What it does is send an email to someone in your contact folder or email folders. It creates the the email to appear to be from someone else in your contact folder or email folders. Thus you email yourself the message (you are probably also emailing many virus messages to others in your contact or email folders).
Klez has its own SMTP server built in (how mail is sent) so you don't see the emails in your Sent Items folder.
Check this page at norton's site for info and removal tools:
http://[email protected]
Good luck
Robin Smith

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link. I downloaded that tool and it says it removed the virus. I'm surprised my virus checker didn't catch on to it, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks