What's new

My SVS story - long (1 Viewer)

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
The Internet is a strange beast. For just about every interest imaginable there seems to be a dedicated message board for folks to share their knowledge and personal experience.

Lucky for me, I came to the HTF looking for info on subwoofers and was quickly inundated with messages touting the prowess of the SVS. I had spent two years with an entry level Boston Acoustics and was ready for something better. But I didn't think the SVS was the answer.

After listening to everything commercially available for around $500, I couldn't decide whether to build one, buy an internet-only model, or plunk down my cash for a commercial model.

I decided on a commercial model, the DefTech ProSub 200TL. I was immediately impressed with the subs sound and build quality. But the bass bug had bit me hard and although the DefTech was nice, I didn't feel it was a huge upgrade over my Boston.

So I sold the DefTech to some lucky guy for cheap and decided to give the new SVS 25-31PCi a shot. As expected, I was extremely nervous as i unpacked it. Could it live up to the hype?

I quickly calibrated it and popped in Nelly's "Country Grammar." Even if you don't like rap, you should at least listen to this once. It's a strong 50hz beat that sounds kind of like the Beastie Boys "Brass Monkey."

Well, all I could do was laugh because it sounded so deep and so clean. Almost like a warm blanket of bass filling the room. Any small box sub can pound out 50hz with no problem but most of the time it sounds like it's coming out of a small box.

Then it was on to my favorite band, Dave Matthews. One of the things I didn't like about the Boston was that it was kinda boomy on certain tracks and the only way to cure it was to turn it down. Well, the SV passed this test very well too. Not boomy at all. It just added a fullness and weight to the music. The kick drums sounded especially nice.

Later that night, my wife and I decided to rent "Toy Story 2" because I had read it contained some relatively deep bass. Again, I was nervous. What if it was too loud? What if it just didn't live up to the hype? My friends were already giving me crap about the revolving door of subwoofers.

Then, all of a sudden, during the Monsters Inc. preview, I felt it. A wave of bass filled the room. The knocking on the door in the preview moved me in my seat and pounded my chest. My sliding glass door rattled a little bit and again, all I could do was laugh. My wife, who is usually pretty neutral on these things, even cracked a smile. I think she finally got it.

Needless to say, I think i'll be keeping this one for a while. It will take me a while to get used to the looks (ironically, my wife thinks it looks fine) but I do think the performance of the SVS 25-31PCi is astonishing for the price and definitely helps overshadow any aesthetical concerns. Even though nothing could ever really live up to the hype, the SV sub is a well-made product that delivers what is advertised and certainly deserves of all the recognition it gets.

** Many thanks to Tom and Ron for putting up with my steady stream of questions over the past week. The customer service raves are true. No e-mail went unanswered and all the silly setup questions I had were answered nearly immediately.

Joseph_ P

Stunt Coordinator
AMAZING THESE SVS SUBS ARE, HUH?!!!!!!!!!

hope your neighbors like it,LOL.

gibyt,proud owner of 16-46cs+

sean_dietz

Agent
Hi Johnny,
Thanks for adding another + check in the SVS column for me ;)
In mid June, I will finally be moving out of a 2nd floor
apartment and into a house. Of course living without a
sub now sucks, but one of the first things I plan on
purchasing is a sub.(who needs a washer/dryer, new
bedroom furniture, lawnmower...)
The 25-31 is certainly on my short list.
I was curious what size room you have yours located in?
My soon to be living room is about 18x14 with vaulted
ceilings(about 3000cf).
Thanks for your comments on the SVS.
Sean
Indianapolis

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
My room is about 12x24 with 8 foot ceilings, about 2300 cubic. I think Tom V. would be a better person to ask about filling a certain sized room though. My guess would be that you'll be fine with one 25-31 unless you are wanting to reach reference levels.

Even better, not having a sub at all will definitely increase your appreciation of the SV right out of the box. Good luck and let us know what you think if you get one.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
You have to love all the SVS owners and there fantastic stories. I'm a pround owner of the dual 25-31CS+ /w Sampson1000 amp. It moves me quite well!!! :)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I know how u feel, I was blown away by my tempest. The fun part is that it is for my computer and is my very first subwoofer. (Well except for my 6.5" multimedia sub that can't hit below 50hz)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>I was curious what size room you have yours located in?

My soon to be living room is about 18x14 with vaulted

ceilings(about 3000cf). Thanks for your comments on the SVS. Sean

sean_dietz

Agent
Hi Tom,
Does the room have any traditional corners?
I plan on setting up the front speakers/tv along
the top 14' long wall. There is a full height wall
in between the front entrance door and living room.
The living room has a opening on the right side
that goes into the foyer and hallway. The vaulted
ceiling is sloped to about 16'high.
20025224738680940083320.jpg

I normally listen 20dbs below reference.
While I would love to be able to wow and dazzle friends
with reference level demos, that is not an important requirement for me right now
(ah who am I kidding,of course it is :D )
Tom, thanks for your input.
Sean

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Sean,

I'm guessing you'll be able to experiment with both front corners for the sub placement? 20dB under reference...the 25-31PCi will be coasting once you optimize the placement/calibration. I think -3 to -6dB under reference if you calibrate it to the same levels as the rest of the speakers would be near the limits though,

Let me know if you have any other questions Sean,

TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks