What's new

very old school rap? (1 Viewer)

Derek S

Stunt Coordinator
can anyone name me some of the old school rap groups. i am looking to find some old stuff on cd ie grandmaster flash, utfo, roxanne, dougie fresh. specifically i am looking fot the name of the rap group that is playing in the movie Beat Street when the two sons are sleeping in the bedroom and the mom turns the music way up, then off.

any names would be helpful, any obscure early groups.

thanks a bunch

Derek

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Well old school 90's I'd say

The Jungle Brothers-Done by the forces of Nature

Brand Nubian

P.M Dawn,

they were all doing something a bit different 89-92 ish.

but to go way back... (80's)

you must start at these, alot of these cats have best of stuff and you can build from there:

Whodini

Kurtis Blow

Biz Markie- (underrated)

Rakim- ahead of his time, insane cuts: Paid in Full, Microphone Fiend.

back even further...(70's)

Gil Scott Heron- "the Revolution will not be televised" or if you prefer "the very best of Gil Scott Heron" is a nice mix,(just don't expect any beat box, this is real music, poetically laced with Heron's lyrics)

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Don't forget about Afrika Bambaataa, The Sugarhill Gang, Kool DJ Herc, the Fat Boys, Newcleus (remember "Jam On It"?).

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Some other stuff,

Ultramagnetic MC's: Critical Beatdown

Digable Planets: Reachin'...

Dr. Dre: The Chronic (Dre and Snoops best work, by far)

A Tribe Called Quest: The Low End Theory -or-

Midnight Marauders

Mark Lee

Second Unit
The Chronic is certainly a good album, but can it by any stretch of the imagination be considered "old school"?? Even N.W.A. would be a reach....

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Mark, point taken.

The Chronic certainly can not be considered old school. The only reason I threw it on the list is because that album is the pinnacle of Death Row records, and really led to a lot of the 'G-Funk' rap that populated the 90's and today.

The other reason I had it on the list was because since Dre and Snoop have done so many other albums, many of which are pretty awful, that I think sometimes the importance of The Chronic gets overlooked.

Hard to believe it came out 10 years ago already.

Jason

Derek S

Stunt Coordinator
Jam On It, that is definitly the right era i am looking for, what a great tune. i am looking for early 80's stuff.

thanks for the help folks,

Peace

D

Andy Hardin

Stunt Coordinator
I've been listening to some Old School stuff myself lately, be sure to check out:

Slick Rick

Kazaa/Grokster has some GREAT Old School Rap megamixes

Kool Moe Dee

LL Cool J - Radio

Blankin' on some other stuff, but try the megamixes!

ChrisP

Agent
While it actually fairly new, you may also like Jurassic 5, they have a very old school sound. 4 mc's and 2 dj's. I just got their album "Quality Control" a couple days ago and love it. It's great, refreshing, back to the roots style rap.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I'll second the Jurassic 5 recommendation. Quality Control is a fantastic CD. Their DJ, Cut Chemist has done quite a bit of side-projects that are good, too. Product Placement, a collaboration with DJ Shadow, comes to mind.

Blackalicious also has a very good old-school sound, and they just released a new one last week. And it also features a Cut Chemist track!

-Jason

(Sorry for taking the thread off-topic.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks