What's new

Ventriloquist vs ...... (1 Viewer)

Mike:Corb

Stunt Coordinator
I have read alot of posts and other forums to get the best bang for my buck. I have come up with a few speaker packages to go with my HK325. If you have read my other posts, they will be going in a dorm and then in an apartement. I listen to mostly HT, and like to play it loud. (I will play them responsibly in the dorm though) I also work at best buy and get a nice discount there if you feel there are speakers there I should look in to. Here are the packages I have basically narrowed it down to:
Energy take 5.2
HSU Ventriloquist VT-12
Wharfedale Diamonds 8.1
Paradigm Atoms or Titans
Fluance SX-HTB
I am not sure what sub I will be mating these with, I am open for suggestions on that too. Also I do prefer bookshevles or sats over floors, but Fluance seems like such a good deal. Also Happy Thanksgiving, I am going to go bed becuase I have to work at 5:30 in the morning and prepare for the mob of people outside at Best Buy. Please help me out if you have any suggestions at all, even if you recommened something that is not up there. I don't have a set budget really but I want to keep it at $500 or below if I could. That includes the 5.1 setup and subwoofer. THanks everybody and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Stunt Coordinator
The more I think about it, I might just get the ventriloquist's right now. Then when I actually get out of college upgrade to some floor speakers. I am sure the ventriloquists will do the job in a dorm or small apartement, or at least I hope after reading all the rave reviews. If anyone has experience with them, can they get pretty loud and still sound good?

Stunt Coordinator
bump on opinions on my choice of ventriloquists over the other speakers, and also if you know if the ventriloquists sound good when turned to a decent HT volume.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
What is your definition of decent HT volume?

I heard the Ventriloquist playing loud and had to yell at the person next to so he could hear what I was saying.

Anthony Chiu

Agent
Curtis:

Since you heard the ventriloquist playing loud, how would rate their sound quality?

If you were willing spend 1K on a full 5.1 speaker system, would you consider them?

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
If I wanted a nice little HT setup in a small to small/medium room, I would jump at it. I would get the Ventriloquist and the STF-1 or STF-2....can not be touched by anything I have heard at close to the $550-650 setup. For mostly HT duty, I would save the rest of that $1K for DVDs.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Curtis, you have been a big help. I am going to go with the refurb HK325, ventriloquist speakers, and I would like to find a cheaper sub then the STF-1 or STF-2. I also like to feel the bass in the movies so I need a sub that will really hit hard. Any suggestions?

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
How cheap?

Like I said in a previous post, with the STF-1, I felt the bass. The STF-2 will hit even more.

You wouldn't happen to be in the LA area would you?

Stunt Coordinator
No, I am actually in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I think if I did get a HSU sub, I would try and save up for the STF-2. I might get the STF-2 but are there any other suggestions you have. What about the adire rava perform against the HSU STF-1 or STF-2?

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
The Rava also has a great following. It is a sealed sub, and most consider more geared toward music than HT. I have never heard/experienced one, so I can't tell you how it compares to Hsu subs. In a small/medium-small room, I'm sure it will make the walls rumble though.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
By the way, if you are going to get one of these small systems...whether it be the Ventriloquist or some other package. Make sure you get a sub, or you will be missing a lot.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Being in Green Bay...you might want to check out Stryke Audio.

Also, for smaller speakers, you may want to talk to Brian Bunge at Rutledge Audio Design.

Stunt Coordinator
thanks again curtis, I will do a little more research on the sub before I decide on one and if I have any more quesitons I will just post them. I really want to get an svs or hsu but don't want to drop that kind of cash on one right now. In the future I will definatly get be upgrading but that won't be until I am out of college. I know I already asked for some other sub suggestions, but can I ask again. There has to be a cheaper solution then the STF-1 or 2. I am also willing to build the sub, I have already but a box for my car audio. Do you have any driver recommendations. If so, could you also give me the approximate size box I would need. I really appreciate all this Curtis, thanks!!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Curtis' recommendation of talking to John at Stryke Audio is a good one. I don't know that he has any small speakers like my Micros or the Ventriloquists but he could definitely help you out with a sub.

If you want to build your own sub, Parts Express has some new shielded 8", 10" and 12" DVC drivers. Those with a 100-150W amp should make a good subwoofer.

Stunt Coordinator
thanks curtis, I don't know what to do, but you been a huge help. I can't believe everyone is so willing to help others out. I will always make sure to try to return the favor in the future.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Sure thing!

Give Brian a call. He does good work...he just made a pair of speaker stands for me that came out sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks