What's new

VCR's...Huh, What's That? (1 Viewer)

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
Well let's see... I bought a new Sony VCR to match my HT set up last April as I have a fairly large VHS collection. In June, I bought a Tivo. Since buying this VCR I have used it to record exactly 0 times and have probably used it to watch movies about 3 times. On my 16:9 TV, DVD is the only way to go. The VHS collection is mostly just collecting dust or being sold off to replace with DVDs. For recording, Tivo is awesome. Those who haven't tried it yet, give it a shot. My fiancee objected to its initial purchase ("what the heck do you need that ugly thing for?"), but since then she has become the biggest advocate of Tivo around...

In conclusion, my Sony VCR is essentially a $125 CLOCK!!

Sebastien David

Second Unit
guess we're lucky here in Quebec, to the best of my knowledge, ExpressVu doesn't charge any fee for the use of the new hard disk recorder they put on the market... plus it can pass through Dolby Digital! it is pretty expensive at around $600, though

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
I think this has all been said, but thought I would summarize. A VCR is used for four things:

1. Playing commercial recordings.

2. Time shifting.

3. Recording to save long-term.

4. Recording to share.

#1 is very rapidly being taken over by DVD.

#2 can be done by a DVR (a.k.a. PVR), but the growth is very slow relative to the number of VCRs out there.

#3 cannot be done by a DVR, but can be by a DVD recorder.

#4 can be done by a DVR that transmits over the Internet (newest ReplayTV device), or by a DVD recorder.

So, inasmuch as the technologies for #2 - #4 are advancing very slowly, VCRs will be needed to do those functions for a long time. Ultimately, they will go the way of the turntable and laserdisc: Still existing, but quite rare.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
IMO, it would be more accurate to compare them to audio cassettes vs. CDs.

In several years, nobody will be using videotape, exactly like nobody will be using audio cassettes by, say, 2005.

whereas you still have the hardcore minority who refuses to let go of their turntables (and I'm not saying it's without good reason).

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
How long have CDs been around? 20 plus years? And audio cassettes are still being used. I also have two Replay PVRs which do not require additional fees like Tivo does.

Bottom line you cannot share recordings between PVRs unless you have the newer Replay units. Therefore, a VCR tape is the medium of choice for sharing/swapping video recordings.

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator
VCR's will eventually disappear, but it will take several years. I still have one, but I suspect it'll be the last one I ever own. Next on my list of hardware buys, is a DVD recorder.

Norm

RobG

Stunt Coordinator
I have one on my second (read kids) t.v. Until Blues Clues comes out on DVD I will keep it ;)

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
I was at best buy last week and I just noticed DVD players and software far exceed VHS as far shelf space. I think VHS sales will fall dramatically in the next few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks