What's new

VCR's...Huh, What's That? (1 Viewer)

AbelM

Second Unit
Do you think VCR's are fading out? I think so, and really fast...It seems like everyone can afford a DVD player now-a-days, and if your a gamer and don't have one, you do now!

So what do you guys' think? Are VCR's fading into extenision (sp?).

Who here still has one hooked up in their HT?

StephenA

Screenwriter
I still have a VCR, only to watch the Star Wars original trilogy though. I don't have the Indiana Jones or Back to the Future trilogies on VHS though. Wish I had them. I'll just wait till they come on DVD.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, until reasonably-priced and solid DVD recorders are common, and more important, reasonably-priced blanks, so I'm not constantly making $8.00 pretty shiny coasters, we'll keep our VCRs.

I have thousands of videotapes of taped material and I'd love to transfer the best of it onto DVD. I'm just replacing the movies with regular DVDs as I can, but there's still tons of non-movie material, ranging from Olympics to Academy Awards to NOVAs to all kinds of music videos/live appearances/concerts that I couldn't bear to part with or store away, but that is taking up valuable space.

However, we no longer watch movies on VHS/Beta (yes, we have Betas) in our Home Theater. We watch those in our bedroom on our 25" TV. DVD has so spoiled us.

Vickie

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I just bought the panasonic DVD-Recorder, and we have several of the Pioneer at work. Very nice. And getting cheaper.

Regardless, isn't this in the wrong forum?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I still have a VCR hooked to my HT but it's just collecting dust, I haven't used the thing in well over a year.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Besides all the tapes my 3 and a half year old has, (in addition to her growing DVD collection) I tape Letterman every night (can't stay up that late) and several other programs during the week that my wife and I don't get to watch until the weekend. My VCRs still get a tremendous amount of use and I plan on keeping them until recordable DVD becomes more affordable.

Vin

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
VHS, will be around for quite some time. It's the one medium that allows you to record (other than PVRs) quickly with out much of an effort. Higher quality VCRs shouldn't be laughed at. I have a JVC 7600 with Digital Noise Reduction and the quality of VHS playback and especially S-VHS, it does breath new life in VHS.

Bob_K

Auditioning
I'll second the comment on S-VHS machines. I also have a couple of JVC 7600s to ease the eye-strain of time shifting .

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I still use my VCRs (I have two in the living room, one hooked into my PC for video editing, and one in my bedroom). Fox Sunday nights, 24, Stargate:SG1 (syndication), Alias, JAG, Fraiser, Scrubs, West Wing, Enterprise, CSI, ER and the occasional free movie weekend on the pay channels keep three of the four recording every week.

If price were not an issue, I would probably replace them all with TIVOs for TV recording. I still need more than one for making copies of my video projects (church and school).

AbelM

Second Unit
S-VHS, yes, this is a good playback source on VHS, I'll admit, I am the same JVC one as mentioned up above!!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I was going to reply yes, but now I'm not so sure. I just finished reading an article on the JVC HM-DH30000U, which now retails for $1999. (Cough, cough) I'm sure the price will come down in a year or two. This deck is not only backward compatible, for forward compatible too, and will record HDTV.

The tapes aren't out yet, (Ok, that IS funny)!, but will record 4 hours of HD. I can't wait!

Ok, I still like recording onto a digitial medium better.

Glenn

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
I own 4 VCR's and zero PVR's (Tivo & the like). I do not rent VHS anymore, but the VCR's see heavy usage - almost every other day of the week.

(1) I time shift programs for me and the Mrs.

(2) I tape lots of sporting events to share with both Dads - one is local the other in Florida (drop a couple tapes in mail every few weeks).

(3) I still do some archiving as well.

I totally realize that PVR's are the ultimate and most flexible time shifters, but my VCR's:

(1) Do not incur a monthly usage fee.

(2) Allow me to share programming with those not in my household.

(3) Do not have hard drives that can "crash".

Video quality is obviously crappy on VHS, but for sharing and timeshifting, it's perfect. VHS will remain in my home for a long long time.

One more thing: I am fortunate that I have gotten long lives from my VCR's. One possible reason: I'm one of those corny guys that uses VHS tape rewinders (you know, those things you see in Blockbuster). They only cost $5-10 (if you can still find them) and they do prolong the life of the motor.

Rich B.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
With DVD and TiVo (I paid for a lifetime 2 years ago), I rarely have a use for my 2 VCRs anymore. I even get snobby about it.;)
My cheapskate friend refuses to get Showtime, and want's me to tape Queer as Folk for him...I told him, "but I don't have any tapes"...He said "So, go and buy some."...I said "EEEEWWWW! I can't be seen in public buying TAPES!!! Why don't you just ask me to go and pick up some tampons while you at it!":b

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
Last month I got a DirecTivo unit, and this month I got another one for my wife. Also bought a Panasonic DMR-E20 DVD recorder, and today I got some more blanks DVD-R discs ($4.95 each for Apple brand).
I would like to say the sole purpose of my VCRs is to serve as source components for dubbing priceless recordings to DVD. Unfortunately, I am a TV critic and the networks send out review product on VHS tapes still.
But the VHS VCR's days surely are numbered. :)

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Only tape based system I have EVER owned is a Cassette Deck and I don't even have it hoked up. When I want to record TV (rarely) I use my TiVo (With out the money sucking service) and when I want to watch movies nothin else will do besides DVD! (for now....)
bk

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks