Samsung DVD/VCR $129 for my HDTV? Help me out please?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Drew_E, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Drew_E

Drew_E Agent

Hello. I just bout that 65" Pioneer HDTV widescreen from costco at $2199 and now i don't want to get the wrong DVD/VCR combo just to save $30! I do, however, want to save $30 if i can.

Right now I have a sony 500W reciever that's an ANCIENT 5 years old: model STR-DE625. I stripped out the matching old 5 disc changer, dual deck tape player, and rather old sony dvd player model DVP-NS400D which wasn't cheap; however, the dvd player freezes for about a half a second in the middle of some movies.. sometimes more than once. It really ruins the experience as i'm sure you HT people know.

I think that i can replace all 3 of those old pieces (dvd, vcr, cd) with a combo dvd/mp3/vcr -- but it has to be good enough to match up with my new HDTV. i don't know what i need in it-- i figure progressive scan, and a lot of cool outputs, like 5.1 channel. Not sure what if anything it needs to decode; however, i don't plan on upgrading the reciever today. I want to, however, upgrade the reciever one day, and not be lacking with the combo unit.

Ugg i'm so sorry that i'm long winded, and if my post is beligerant, i apologize yet again.

I found this unit that seems to fit the token for a great price, at best buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03013

my friend has a Samsung dvd player and it stinks, because it sometimes makes a high pitched "whine" when playing dvd's which totally ruins the experience for me. I don't think it's too much to ask for a smooth video playback and no whine; perhaps i'm turning into a nutso HT enthusiast, asking too much out of my equipment, huh!? I also don't like the servo mechanism in my friend's samsung; it feels cheap and clunky, and slow.

ok so if not this samsung, then what? i guess it's not too good to start throwing out price ranges, because the more you pay, the better it is, naturally. I can't see myself paying $350, unless i can clearly see, and hear, the difference between it and a cheaper unit. Assume that i'm not a trained home theater junkie professoinal like you all! assume that i just want a clear picture, sound, and no breaks/whines/etc. Is this samsung missing any "functions" or "audio outputs" or video playback quality that i need?

Again.. long winded. Man I can just keep going if i wanted. Please reply if you actually made it to the bottom of this post!

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Check out the Zenith Combo units. I bought one for my bedroom and although I don't have an HDTV in there yet (or anywhere else), it does have progressive scan and in the 4 months I have had it, it has played everything I have put into it flawlessly. I believe the MSRP on it is $169.95.

3. Bob_Campbell

Bob_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Drew,

Try this one.... Sony SLV-D300P

Sony in this realm (DVD/VCR) is a better buy and after spending 2100 on a tv it won't pay for you to go cheap now. This one goes for about 179 at best buy but you can get it for cheaper if you do a little research on the internet.

This unit will have all the inputs/outputs that you will need.

Spend a little extra money and trust me it will be worth it!!!!

Bob

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I have a Samsung, and it does really well in the bedroom on a 27 inch t.v. as well as with the 24 inch t.v. in the den, but it's not a unit that I would recommend for your main HT. It has Progressive scan and you can certainly find that on other Combo models. The question I have is are you sure you want a combo unit for your set up. Do you have a lot of VHS tapes, or do you plan to do some time shift recording. Perhaps the $350 that you refuse to spend on a single player can get you an above average player and a standard VCR. Heck VCRs are going for about 70 bucks and that's with 19 micron heads for better recording, hi-fi, multi input etc. For a bit more you can get a S-VHS model, the rest you can probably find a good DVD player, and that can be in the price range of 280 and lower. Just a thought, unless space is the issue here. I can understand that about space because my wife wanted the combo player for the bedroom because she didn't want to much gear there, hence the explanation of why I don't have a receiver and my old speakers in the bedroom.

5. Drew_E

Drew_E Agent

thanks for your replies! i think that sony unit will fit the token, nicely. space is a problem. i think 17" is as wide as i can go without having to cram something in.

also, the reason for 1 unit is not only space, but ease of use. this is for my parents to use as well. They are old man! they dont want to push more buttons than they have to... or else they'll have to call me up and i have to give them a dang tutorial every other week! thanks again.

the VHS recording is just so that they can hit "send to VCR" on their Tivo and keep some extra things that they want hard copies of. No big deal, really.

6. DavidLM

DavidLM Agent

Does it have dvi? If so youd be crazy not to get a dvd player with Dvi out such as the bravo D1. Sure you lose the vcr but the picture improvement is noticeable.