What's new

Looking for connecting help please (1 Viewer)

Mark JM

Agent
Have a 9 year old Sony receiver, VCR and TV that all died abt the same time and I just got back from the shop. Have them in a family room w/ 5 speakers for Dolby pro logic surround... Problem is I thought I was way smarter than I am and didnt write down the conections as I stripped them.

Here is what I have from what I remember, trying to see if anyone can walk me thru the rest. By the way, no fancy connectors, no s video etc...

TW digital cable box to vcr to TV...(wow, im good huh?)

Receiver Monitor out to TV video in (1 cable)

Receiver audio in to TV audio out (L&R)

Now, here's where Im confusing myself...vcr audio out to??? Should the vcr audio out go to the receiver audio in?? Then where does the TV audio out go to?? Some how I dont think i'm supposed to have extra wires left over from the original set-up...Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

ps the componants dying on me is the reason I found this site in the 1st place trying to decide between RP and FP TV.

Great site, thanks

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Marc, first, welcome to the Forum. Now, you can run cables from the audio outputs on your TV and VCR into your receiver. That way, if you want to pipe a TV program through your stereo (with the volume on the TV turned all the way down), you don't have to have the VCR on. Of course, you should run cables from the VCR to the receiver to pipe movies through the stereo (again with the TV volume turned all the way down). Hope that helps.

By the way, how did all your equipment die at once? Did you have a bad storm or something else that caused a power surge?

Mark JM

Agent
Keith thanks for the info, if I could ask another question a bit more specific....If Im running my TV audio out to Reciever audio in on the VIDEO 1 ports, do I run my VCR audio out to the audio in on the VIDEO 2 ports??

As far as the componants dying, they all went at different times, TV needed a "disaster kit" VCR was eating tapes, receiver had "protection surge", just had a loose wire...so for $250 got them all in working order...but because they were "dead" Ive already started my "big screen" search (RP vs FP)...

Thanks again

Mark

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mark, you can run the audio cables from the TV and VCR to any audio inputs on the receiver you want to. You can run the TV into the CD audio inputs if you like. It won't matter. Obviously it makes more sense to use VIDEO 1 and 2 for the TV and VCR simply due to convention, but it really doesn't matter.

Hope all the components are working well now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks