What's new

using "b" speakers and a subwoofer (1 Viewer)

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i own an onkyo 575x reciever and i recently got another pair of speakers. i live in an oddly shaped (but convenient)dorm room and the way its set up i have is the HT part of the room is in the middle and my desk is off to the side.

i want to be able to use the extra pair of speakers as computer speakers (as i have my computer running using one of the digital in's of my reciever) so i wired it them up as the "b" speakers.

the problem as you might guess is that when you are using the B speakers the subwoofer doesnt play, leaving me with a lot of lost bass (as these extra speakers are jbl N24's)

i assume that the reason they have it set up like this is because B speakers are usually in another room, but i was wondering if anyone knows of a way to turn the sub on with those speakers? the manual didnt seem to be helpful.

if there isnt a way, and i have a suspicion that there isnt, would this be a viable option: to run the B speakers through the line level inputs of the subwoofer? id have to flip a switch on the subwoofer, but its pretty easily acessible.

sorry for making this a bit long, but sometimes im longwinded.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Both Radio Shack and Niles Audio sell speaker selector switches that would allow you to connect both the speakers to the “A” terminals. Then you could select the pair you wanted to use, and the sub would operate with both. Make sure the one you select has power handling capabilities similar to your receiver.

The only caveat: If the two pairs of speakers have significantly different efficiency characteristics, the sub’s level will have to be re-adjusted each time you change speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks