What's new

Used amp and Subs (1 Viewer)

Nick.S

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a uses amp and subs from a buddy. The amp is a MTX 4160 4ch. He was using it to push his subs and front speakers. For now I only want to use it for my subs. (maybe rear speakers someday) I am unsure about my options for hooking this up. Does anyone happen to have this amp and instruction manual, that they could scan in and send to me? I tried searching the net but cannot find it anywhere.

Thanks
Nick.S

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
most 4 chan amps can run at 2ch@ 4ohms. You need to brindge channels 1 and 2 for one sub, and the 3 and 4 for the other sub. What i'd do is look on ebay or online to find a companies description of it. ......here's what i found...THUNDER 4160 N-CHANNEL VFET AMPLIFIER

20 Watts RMS/CH x 4 into 4 Ohms @ .1% THD 20-20,000Hz
40 Watts RMS/CH x 4 into 2 Ohms @.3% THD 20-20,000Hz
80 Watts RMS Bridged x 2 into 4 Ohms @.3% THD 20-20,000Hz
200 Watts Dynamic Power (IHF-202) Bridged x 2 into 4 Ohms (14.4 VDC)

Note: RMS Power Ratings @ 12.5 VDC Input

that seems like a very weak amp to run subs with. Change out the amp for one that runs atleast 200 to each sub and you'll find a load of difference. You may be hurting the subs with such a low power.

Nick.S

Stunt Coordinator
Well I got it hooked up to what I think it correct. And wow does it sound good. I went from a kenwood 120 by 1 amp and mtx thunder 5000 10's to a mtx amp that is 80 by 2 (bridged) and mtx thunder 5000 12's. Huge diff!!! My bass gets a lot lower now and I can feel it a lot more! I have to turn the gain to about half because its louder then my other speakers. I cant imagine needing more power for them. I still need to buy new 6x9's for the rear to try and even out the sound! I still would like a manual for the 4160 as I am unsure what all the knobs are for...

Thanks
Nick

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
you might get bass from it but you're going to mess the sub u if its running at such a low power rating. You need to get close to the recommended RMS rating or you run into underpowering the sub which in the long run will hurt it.

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
Underpowering subs will not damage them. Driving them into clipping constantly will damage them. You can power subs with 10 watts if you want, so long as you don't drive them into clipping. If he likes the way it sounds at 80 Watts then thats fine. 80 watts into an efficient woofer will rattle the car just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks