What's new

Upgrading from Pro Logic to DD (1 Viewer)

Chris Laporte

Auditioning
This has probably been asked before but I searched and didn't find an answer.

I have an older Sony 900ES receiver that only does Pro Logic. Can I upgrade to DD without replacing the receiver?

If so, would it also cover DTS? Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Chris,
Welcome to the forum!
Chances are, unless your pro-logic receiver is "dolby digital ready"- the answer is no.
Some older pro-logic models were deemed "dolby digital ready"- and in addition to the various 2 channel inputs for audio components- also featured a 5 or 6 channel input to allow you to connect an outboard DD/DTS converter unit directly to the amplifiers in the receiver (see my post in the newbie primer thread on 6 channel input here).
So, if you have a receiver like that- then if you had a DVD player with internal converters - you could connect to the 6 channel input and have DD and DTS. If you don't have a DVD player with onboard converters, well then you'd have to buy a preamp unit which would convert for you.
Bottom line is- you will probably spend more money trying to find the one or two items you need than you would simply buying an entry level DD/DTS receiver unit. Unless you already have a DD ready receiver (with 5/6 channel input) and a DVD player with onboard converers (6 channel output)- then you will probably be best off buying a new receiver.
-Vince

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Indeed.

Although- there are several DD receivers out there that fall into the "affordable" range that are quite good. Heck, you can also purchase second hand from HTF members (who tend to be anal about their stuff)- and save a bundle.

I have the Denon 3300, the receiver to beat a few years back-- it rocks, sounds great, supports DD/DTS- and I see them on the forum for $300 these days. For $300, thsi thing is a steal- I'm considering buying one for every room in the house.

-Vince

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Even if your receiver were in fact DD ready, you would have to purchase a DD/dts decoder in order to do both DD and dts and considering the money you would pay for the decoder, it would be cheaper to just go out and buy a DD/dts receiver. They are dirt cheap these days.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Or a DVD player with internal converters- which are pretty common.

Just wanted to make clear to anyone reading that you might already have the converters built into your DVD player (or if you're planning an upgrade, could find an affordable player with 6 channel output).

One way or another- even if yu have a DD ready receiver- somethinghas to decode the DD or DTS signal into 6 analog sends- this can be done (as Neil suggested) via an external converter-- or via converters in the DVD player if it is so equipped.

-V

Bradford_B

Auditioning
Dear Chris,
I'm new to this forum thanks to my brother turning me on to it...but in answer to your question...try getting a Denon 1602...under 400.00 and has great sound. Denon makes very good products in a mid price range and I have had excellent satisfaction from them.
Brad:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks