What's new

Upgrading and Completly Lost (1 Viewer)

mstgkillr

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I am looking to upgrade from my current system to something better. I don't need to get the best stuff out there but I would like to get something decent that will last a little while

I have
  1. 42" Samsung Plasma TV SPR4232X/XAA. Is this TV decent? I plan to upgrade this TV sometime in 2009. When the time comes I was thinking of a 58" Samsung. Any other recommendations?
  2. Yamaha HTR 5250 Receiver. Is this receiver worth anything? Should I try to sell it on Ebay?
  3. JBL ND310 Northridge Series Front Speakers. Are these speakers worth keeping or should I try to sell on Ebay?
  4. Sony BDP 350 Blue Ray. I haven't actually received this player yet but it should be here soon.
  5. XBox 360.

I am thinking of ordering a
  1. Onkyo TX-SR606 or a Onkyo TX-SR805 but I don't really know the difference between the two or which one to get.
  2. New speakers. I have no idea where to even start. If my current speakers need to be upgraded I will need all 6. If not, I guess I only need 4 but I still have no idea.

Thanks for helping me out.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hi Jason,

Welcome to the Forum!

I must say I find your post a bit puzzling. Typically people have a reason for wanting to upgrade. I.e., they find they need a receiver with more power or features the old one doesn't have. Or perhaps their current TV doesn't do reds and greens very accurately, or maybe they simply want a bigger screen. Or maybe their speakers have an upper-frequency "edge" that makes long-term listening fatiguing.

By contrast, you don't seem have any complaints about anything in your system, yet you want to do a wholesale upgrade...? For instance, when you wonder if your speakers are "worth keeping," that tells me you're more worried about what other enthusiasts think of them than whether or not you yourself are happy with them.

Likewise, there's no reason to get rid of an old receiver as long as it's meeting your needs. Mine is 10 years old.

So - I suggest analyzing your needs and expectations and see how well your current equipment is meeting them before going on a spending spree.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

mstgkillr

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason

I have many reasons to upgrade. I want a larger TV with 1080p, a more powerfull receiver with hdmi, and speakers the will go well with the new receiver.

I have already purchased the Onkyo 806 for a great deal and I am now trying to find some decent speakers. If my current JBL ND310 Northridge Series Front Speakers are still decent I think I will get a subwoofer or surrounds.

Any recommendations?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I did a little browsing of owners reviews of the JBL ND 310 and most owners said the mid-range was weak and muffled. Otherwise they were very happy with them. But finding a matching center and surrounds might be difficult. So I'd consider replacing them since your new Sony BR player, 806 and flat panel deserve something a little better anyways.

Recommending speakers is near impossible since everyone has their own idea of what sounds good. But give us a budget and maybe we can give you some options to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks