What's new

A reply from Criterion's Jon Mulvaney (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I sent an email to Criterion regarding upgrades to their earlier DVD releases, and received the following reply. It is wonderful to actually hear back from someone in the know at a film distributor. Many thanks, Mr. Mulvaney, for taking the time to make it personal, which is practically a lost art these days.

Hello Rick,

Thanks for writing. We appreciate your email and we're aware of the many titles that have yet to be upgraded.

The titles that Criterion released on laserdisc were licensed for laserdisc release only, not for DVD and Blu-ray. Despite our efforts to renew/update these licenses, we were unable (It's definitely not for lack of interest!) If we should ever recover the rights to any of our previously released laserdisc titles, we will happily re-release them.

Additionally, we have have rights to many titles that we haven't yet been able to release on DVD and Blu-ray (or laserdisc), which is why we're happy to be able to have these titles available for streaming via FilmStruck (www.filmstruck.com). We hope to release and upgrade all of the titles we have the rights to on DVD and Blu-ray in the future, but there isn't enough time in the day and we're working as fast as we can.

Please feel free to write again with additional questions. We announce all our upcoming releases/upgrades on our website as soon as we can make them public. The best way to stay up-to-date on our future plans is to check our "Coming Soon" section and e-newsletter. You can find the newsletter sign up midway down our homepage, in the Newsletter block on the right, just below New Releases. I've included links below for your convenience.

All the best,
Jon Mulvaney

www.criterion.com

http://www.criterion.com/signup

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 1:24 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello!

I have been an active member of Home Theater Forum, which I believe you quietly follow, for 12 years. With this email, however, I am not representing HTF. This is a personal plea, since I have been a supporter of yours since the Voyager laser disc days, and own several hundred of your releases.

This past year you have seemed to be turning a bit away from upgrading your older titles to Blu-ray (obviously with exceptions such as UGETSU) and leaning much more heavily on esoteric films that have never been released at all. Releasing such films, and thus exposing true cinephiles to unusual, largely unseen foreign and independent films, is admirable and important, and a boost to little-known filmmakers.

On the other hand, I grieve each month when your announcements appear and I see no word that you will be offering some of your laser/DVD titles that desperately need upgrades that have been on my wish list for many years:

SPIRIT OF THE BEEHVIVE

FIRES ON THE PLAIN

THE VIRGIN SPRING

BIG DEAL ON MADONNA STREET

THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER

SUMMERTIME/OLIVER TWIST/GREAT EXPECTATIONS

THE HORSE'S MOUTH

A KNIFE IN THE WATER

NIGHTS OF CABIRIA

THE RULING CLASS

THE MAGIC FLUTE

THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING

Z

...and have you access to the remaining MGM-owned Truffaut films, like SMALL CHANGE and THE WILD CHILD?

I realize these are all personal preferences, and other people would have completely different wish lists to send you, and I also know that upgrading requires much better elements than those needed for DVD. Also, please do not view this note as any kind of complaint against the quality of your output -- I have perhaps thrice been disappointed with your Blu-rays (CHILDREN OF PARADISE, HOWARD'S END, and the first release of Kurosawa's YOJIMBO, which you corrected), and otherwise find them to be absolutely stellar. What I am sharing with you here is a hope that you will continue to have a regular upgrade program that does not drop in proportion to new-to-disc titles. Almost certainly a few in the above list are already on your drawing board, and I can't wait to see them pop off the page at me from your web site when new titles are announced in the coming months.

Many thanks for your ear.

A true fan,

Rick Sparks

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
"..which is why we're happy to be able to have these titles available for streaming via FilmStruck (www.filmstruck.com)."

Seems like they too are seeing the writing on the wall and heading a bit down the streaming road vs. the labor and time intensive physical media route for some of their catalog.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I will note that two of the films on my wish list, A KNIFE IN THE WATER and FIRES ON THE PLAIN have been announced for Blu-ray release in the UK.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
For some reason people like to trash talk Mulvaney. But the couple times I have corresponded with him he has been very responsive and quite friendly.

And how many company personnel actually answer your queries in person, outside of completely unhelpful form letters?

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I cannot say for sure whether this is true, but if you Google "Jon Mulvaney" and "pseudonym" you will find plenty of references to the concept that there is no single "Jon Mulvaney" - it is the pseudonym adopted by anybody at Criterion who replies to an email message.

https://www.reddit.com/r/criterion/comments/2cm5bq/any_of_you_guys_ever_contacted_jon_mulvaney_at/

Also (from another forum):

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd_117
Anyone else notice that poor Jon Mulvaney is apparently the only support rep at Criterion? I just read the criterionforum.org post mentioned earlier (regarding the new packaging) and saw he replied to that. I sent an email last week about not being able to find my account on the criterion store, he replied to that. Also there was another post somewhere that said if you want you old criterion accounts merged with your new (after the webstore move) to contact Jon!
mindblowing.gif

Geesh, I thought I worked a lot!

Jon, if your out there, keep it up buddy!

Sorry to break it to you but there is no Jon Mulvaney. It's the pen name adopted by all Criterion CRs.Last edited by Grubert; 03-02-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Last edited:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I cannot say for sure whether this is true, but if you Google "Jon Mulvaney" and "pseudonym" you will find plenty of references to the concept that there is no single "Jon Mulvaney" - it is the pseudonym adopted by anybody at Criterion who replies to an email message.

https://www.reddit.com/r/criterion/comments/2cm5bq/any_of_you_guys_ever_contacted_jon_mulvaney_at/

Also (from another forum):

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd_117
Anyone else notice that poor Jon Mulvaney is apparently the only support rep at Criterion? I just read the criterionforum.org post mentioned earlier (regarding the new packaging) and saw he replied to that. I sent an email last week about not being able to find my account on the criterion store, he replied to that. Also there was another post somewhere that said if you want you old criterion accounts merged with your new (after the webstore move) to contact Jon!
mindblowing.gif

Geesh, I thought I worked a lot!

Jon, if your out there, keep it up buddy!

Sorry to break it to you but there is no Jon Mulvaney. It's the pen name adopted by all Criterion CRs.Last edited by Grubert; 03-02-2009 at 12:54 PM.

I didn't know that, Dave. And there was me thinking how lucky I am that Jon personally answered my recent enquiry about Criterion's UK releases.

Nevertheless, whether it's one Jon Mulvaney or an army of clones, the prompt, friendly and informative response is what mattered to me ...and it seems from the posts here that perhaps this high standard of customer service is not unusual at Criterion.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I didn't know that, Dave. And there was me thinking how lucky I am that Jon personally answered my recent enquiry about Criterion's UK releases.

Nevertheless, whether it's one Jon Mulvaney or an army of clones, the prompt, friendly and informative response is what mattered to me ...and it seems from the posts here that perhaps this high standard of customer service is not unusual at Criterion.

Indeed, the latter point certainly deserves emphasis.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I sent an email to Criterion regarding upgrades to their earlier DVD releases, and received the following reply. It is wonderful to actually hear back from someone in the know at a film distributor. Many thanks, Mr. Mulvaney, for taking the time to make it personal, which is practically a lost art these days.

Many thanks for your ear.

A true fan,

Rick Sparks

Well, I have to say: much respect to you sir, as writing such a courteous and constructive letter to anyone is practically a lost art itself in the era of the Internet and social media! Restores my faith in the human race! Also reaffirms why it is fun to lurk on this forum - where almost everyone is polite and helpful. (The occasional individual spoiling for a fight is quickly shown the door by the moderators!) I have personally received prompt and helpful service from "Jon" at Criterion as well. Warner Archive's customer service has also been outstanding, exemplified by Sherri Bogard personally replacing every defective Victor/Victoria blu-ray disc last year! When Criterion started releasing blu-rays 10 years ago, I decided I would support them by purchasing every single title - even the ones that are inferior to the region B alternatives (not many, and the duds were mostly in the first years). Like you, I'm hoping one day that the laserdisc titles you asked for will be restored and upgraded. Criterion currently has 115 titles which are described as transfers from 4K digital restorations - so...the question is whether they are going to dip their big toe in the water and release anything in 4K?

https://www.criterion.com/lists/354191-4k-digital-transfers-in-criterion

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I too wish to thank you... I've been waiting for Hamlet, Henry V, Missing and Z for a long time to be upgraded.

HENRY V (Olivier) is available on an excellent Blu-ray from the U.K.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Henry-V/dp/B006ZLQA66/ref=sr_1_6?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1497529611&sr=1-6&keywords=henry+v+(1944)

Contains commentary, trailer and other goodies. It's region B, but for those who have gone Region-free, this is another of the hundreds of non-U.S. titles that can help fill their want lists.

MISSING I got from Daaveedee:

http://www.daaveedee.com/product_info.php?products_id=134366

It's originally from Italy, but is of decent quality, probably not a bootleg, All-region disc.

Last edited:

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Well it was announced today that Rebecca is getting an upgrade, so there's that.
I know it's been released on Blu in the US already (I own it), but I think it still counts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks