What's new

Upgrade for old Technics Receiver? (1 Viewer)

Greg Racki

Grip
Hi everybody,

I currently have the Technics SA-EX140 stereo receiver hooked up to two JBL N38s (the precursor to the E60s). It is simple stereo (audio only) 100wx2 receiver. I'm now thinking about upgrading my system to more of a complete home theater set-up with a Yamaha receiver (5860, V1500, or V2500).

My question is, for music peroformance will I see a big increase in the quality of audio, or is this just going to be an upgrade to add more speakers for Dolby Digital / DTS situations?

Also, will an SVS sub blend well with the JBLs? Ideally, I want my subwoofer to disappear into the system. Whenever I go to Best Buy or the like and audition speakers, I hate the sound of the boomy subwoofers that seem to be playing a seperate track from the mains.

Thanks for the replies in advance!

Max F

Second Unit
I'm not sure you will here an improvement in stereo, but you'll hear a huge improvement going from dolby pro-logic to Doldy Digital. Also, you will have more options (variable filters) for integrating your subwoofer.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Spend enough and you will hear an improvement in 2 channel music / sources. How much? I am not sure, I don't know what level the current Technics is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks