What's new

Upgrade center speaker only? (1 Viewer)

ChrisMark

Agent
The center speaker from my original sony htib (DDW840) fell to the floor and is now broken. I just upgraded my receiver from the original sony to a Yamaha 5550. Since my funds are low due to the receiver purchase, I was wondering if the JBL N center channel will sound okay with the existing sony speakers. I plan to eventually purchase the N24 speakers for my front mains, but can only make one purchase at this time.

ChrisMark

Agent
I've also been reading alot about the Athena Audition series and loved what I heard at best buy. How do these compare with the JBL N series? Would this center speaker have serious problem with my sonys until I can afford the other fronts?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’ve never heard the Sonys so I can’t comment as to how well a JBL N center would fit in.

What I would suggest is that before purchasing a center, decide first what brand and model you are going to wind up with and only then make a purchase. Audition plenty of speakers and if the N series still sounds good, I’d buy the center and replace the mains as soon as I could.

But if you expect to have enough money in a month or two for all three, you might as well wait.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Chris- Match the tweeter size of your mains and this should work fine almost every time. The center is the least important (IMO) so spend less on this speaker and more on your upcoming RL speaker purchase. If dialog is clean and pure, it won't make any difference what you use for a center.

JackS

Supporting Actor
A dissagreement? Who would have quessed?I Did say IMO. Many people place a huge importance on the center channel and I would value their opinion to be as valid as mine. Full range speakers without a center may be the best solution of all, although I am presently using a center I am also using bookshelves.

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
The centre is the most important speaker as about 60% of the sound reproduction comes from that speaker. Buy and quality centre at all costs

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator
I recently bought a second-hand JBL center speaker and I am very happy with it. It has a golden JBL logo on it so I think it was expensive and was made in USA's California. I'd like to know more about it but I can't find any information from the net.

I think a good center speaker is very important because all the dialog is coming from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks